"Draining the swamp" LOL

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 11:42 PM
RE: "Draining the swamp" LOL
(13-12-2016 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 05:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That I have to agree with. I still don't understand why Romney was hammered 24/7 for being a flip-flopper while Trump, who sometimes dramatically changed his position on significant issues like abortion within the span of a few hours, wasn't. Confused

Because the message to the dickheads remained the same. Dick calls out to dick. As much as people have spent a lot of breath saying that we mustn't spend our time calling his supporters racists etc, IMO a large fraction of his base really do enjoy his dog-whistle support for making America white again, his authoritarian streak etc. I even saw friends of mine here posting how grateful to God they were that he's put some creationist prat in the health ministry, 'cos he's gonna really fuck over planned parenthood.

He's good at appealing to those fucks, the ones who resent not being able to push their special agendas, the gun nuts - not the reasonable gun people but the real militia nutters, the "pro-life", the anti-immigrant, the people like Birdie who hate the idea of helping people out via welfare. Even the angry white men who feel like they're being sidelined because women and black people aren't silent any more.

He's a populist, all he does is say to them "you can have what YOU want", to each special interest group, and because they're so blinded to everything except their one cause they forgive him for everything else. He doesn't *care* about abortion, guns, or anything. Trump cares about Trump. He's happy to give everyone everything because he explicitly doesn't care about America the country, he cares about his personal fiefdom.

Clap Here's a guy who gets it, even though he lives in another country. If I had to guess, I'd say I should invest in the building materials that would be used to build fallout shelters. My money people have lost me a considerable amount. My trust in them has waned quite a bit. Nope, it's pretty much gone. If I have to go all quant, I will. But I'd really hoped to retire on my money with reliable help, not to have to go and mind that. Feck. Angry I'm tired and annoyed, after a long day. Here's to hoping for better on the morrow.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
14-12-2016, 07:15 AM
(13-12-2016 11:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  Because the message to the dickheads remained the same. Dick calls out to dick. As much as people have spent a lot of breath saying that we mustn't spend our time calling his supporters racists etc, IMO a large fraction of his base really do enjoy his dog-whistle support for making America white again, his authoritarian streak etc. I even saw friends of mine here posting how grateful to God they were that he's put some creationist prat in the health ministry, 'cos he's gonna really fuck over planned parenthood.

He's good at appealing to those fucks, the ones who resent not being able to push their special agendas, the gun nuts - not the reasonable gun people but the real militia nutters, the "pro-life", the anti-immigrant, the people like Birdie who hate the idea of helping people out via welfare. Even the angry white men who feel like they're being sidelined because women and black people aren't silent any more.

He's a populist, all he does is say to them "you can have what YOU want", to each special interest group, and because they're so blinded to everything except their one cause they forgive him for everything else. He doesn't *care* about abortion, guns, or anything. Trump cares about Trump. He's happy to give everyone everything because he explicitly doesn't care about America the country, he cares about his personal fiefdom.

Clap Here's a guy who gets it, even though he lives in another country. If I had to guess, I'd say I should invest in the building materials that would be used to build fallout shelters. My money people have lost me a considerable amount. My trust in them has waned quite a bit. Nope, it's pretty much gone. If I have to go all quant, I will. But I'd really hoped to retire on my money with reliable help, not to have to go and mind that. Feck. Angry I'm tired and annoyed, after a long day. Here's to hoping for better on the morrow.

Hug

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
14-12-2016, 07:48 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2016 07:55 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(13-12-2016 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 05:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  That I have to agree with. I still don't understand why Romney was hammered 24/7 for being a flip-flopper while Trump, who sometimes dramatically changed his position on significant issues like abortion within the span of a few hours, wasn't. Confused

Because the message to the dickheads remained the same. Dick calls out to dick. As much as people have spent a lot of breath saying that we mustn't spend our time calling his supporters racists etc, IMO a large fraction of his base really do enjoy his dog-whistle support for making America white again, his authoritarian streak etc. I even saw friends of mine here posting how grateful to God they were that he's put some creationist prat in the health ministry, 'cos he's gonna really fuck over planned parenthood.

Given that he has supposedly flipflopped on a number of issues, doesn't that mean he's not a real, honest representative of his voters? Doesn't that mean his voters don't have a reason to trust him? Also I would go so far as to not trust his flip flops to stay for very long, because he's such an impulsive person, and apparently has no way to filter information in his head. For all we know he could be "flip flopping" to make himself look better now that he's going to be in office. He cares a lot about reputation.
14-12-2016, 07:56 AM
(14-12-2016 07:48 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 11:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  Because the message to the dickheads remained the same. Dick calls out to dick. As much as people have spent a lot of breath saying that we mustn't spend our time calling his supporters racists etc, IMO a large fraction of his base really do enjoy his dog-whistle support for making America white again, his authoritarian streak etc. I even saw friends of mine here posting how grateful to God they were that he's put some creationist prat in the health ministry, 'cos he's gonna really fuck over planned parenthood.

Given that he has supposedly flipflopped on a number of issues, doesn't that mean he's not a real, honest representative of his voters? Doesn't that mean his voters don't have a reason to trust him? Also I would go so far as to not trust his flip flops to stay for very long, because he's such an impulsive person, and apparently has no way to filter information in his head.

Wait until his team is at work, and some contradict him. They will be his enemies...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-12-2016, 08:05 AM
Trump was basically on the "no lend" list of Wall Street as he had walked away from SO many obligations, and declared bankruptcy so many times, if he decided he didn't want to pay. Then he sued Deutche Bank saying he shouldn't have to pay his loans he owed them because they "helped create the housing crisis". Trump is a flim-flam artist. NOTHING he says or does can be trusted. Nothing. The process of "learning the hard way" he is not to be believed, has only just begun. As Girly said, this is going to be fun to watch. And as I said before the election, I "almost wish he were elected, so they can see what this idiot does". I guess I better watch out what I wish for.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-12-2016, 08:14 AM
(14-12-2016 07:48 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Given that he has supposedly flipflopped on a number of issues, doesn't that mean he's not a real, honest representative of his voters? Doesn't that mean his voters don't have a reason to trust him? Also I would go so far as to not trust his flip flops to stay for very long, because he's such an impulsive person, and apparently has no way to filter information in his head. For all we know he could be "flip flopping" to make himself look better now that he's going to be in office. He cares a lot about reputation.

Objectively that's true, but Trump is a good salesman, as every populist dictator wannabe is. He can sell himself as the victim even as he steals them blind, simply 'cos he knows where the levers are and which one to pull. When things go wrong you can bet your bottom dollar he's not going to be taking responsibility. For true virtuoso bozo performance he'll pin it on the democrats, or whichever other group is the enemy du jour.

Loyalty is easy to command if you know what makes your followers tick. Unfortunately Trump does. That or he just so happens to reflect the minds of a lot of Americans and his vain personality and need for adulation does the rest so that the effect is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if he does believe all the bullshit he spouts, even if it's the polar opposite from one sentence to the next.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-12-2016, 09:33 AM
(14-12-2016 08:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-12-2016 07:48 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Given that he has supposedly flipflopped on a number of issues, doesn't that mean he's not a real, honest representative of his voters? Doesn't that mean his voters don't have a reason to trust him? Also I would go so far as to not trust his flip flops to stay for very long, because he's such an impulsive person, and apparently has no way to filter information in his head. For all we know he could be "flip flopping" to make himself look better now that he's going to be in office. He cares a lot about reputation.

Objectively that's true, but Trump is a good salesman, as every populist dictator wannabe is. He can sell himself as the victim even as he steals them blind, simply 'cos he knows where the levers are and which one to pull. When things go wrong you can bet your bottom dollar he's not going to be taking responsibility. For true virtuoso bozo performance he'll pin it on the democrats, or whichever other group is the enemy du jour.

Loyalty is easy to command if you know what makes your followers tick. Unfortunately Trump does. That or he just so happens to reflect the minds of a lot of Americans and his vain personality and need for adulation does the rest so that the effect is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if he does believe all the bullshit he spouts, even if it's the polar opposite from one sentence to the next.

Everything he says is true - in his mind, at the moment he says it. He has a great brain, the best brain, and he is smart. If, 5 minutes later, his brain tells him the opposite, then that is true. In his mind, the moment he says it. He has a great brain, the best brain, and he is smart......

Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Because it was ineffective. Trump's followers are Believers. Pointing out his flip-flopping to them is as useless as pointing out the inconsistencies in the Bible to an evangelist. And that's why this will go Very Badly when it finally comes unravelled.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
15-12-2016, 04:09 AM
I think actually Trump's erratic stuff might be helping him too. Basically critics hold back on bashing him because they hope (e.g. with climate change) that he'll see reason - they know he's a raving lunatic but they also know e.g. that he's said he's reconsidering all the stuff he said about climate change on the campaign trail. So they hope rather to influence him than to antagonise him. At the same time allies (e.g. oil industry) cosy up to him real close, because they know he might suddenly flip at any moment, react to any perceived slight. He has them by the balls because he has something they want.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.