Drama - Why do you participate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Drama - Why do you participate?
We've all seen it, especially considering this subject. A lot of us have even participated in it, fueling it until it grows out of control.

Drama.

I would guess that most of the people here have either seen or participated in a debate that grew swiftly out of control and deteriorated into one big drama llama fest. But from what I know from experience, not everyone is drawn to it for the same reasons. For example, if I decide to contribute to the growing drama of a debate, my reasons usually consist of: attempting to bring logic and respect to the discussion, to see how bad things get, and/or to get a laugh out of some of the more hilarious things said/done.

If you participate in drama like mentioned above, please give us your reasons for doing so. Do you actually try to contribute something? Do you get angry and defensive easily? Or do you do it for a laugh?

Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told.
-George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2011, 07:25 PM
RE: Drama - Why do you participate?
All of the above. Though I usually try to stay out of I am sometimes drawn in. I honestly don't think anyone on this forum could say they are able to stay out of drama at all times. This is a forum after all where peoplecome to not only socialize with like minded folks but to also discuss various topics and debate. That in itself is a form of drama although milder for the most part.
I usually find myself being drawn into the larger drama llamas as you put it, due to some annoying behaviour or misunderstanding that refuses to be resolved within my viewing window. It bothers me to no end. Sometimes I can resist the pull other times I am not so lucky. Also I must point out that on most of those occasions I do not come out on top because I always seem to enter into a no reason or logic zone where everyone pretends you haven't said anything and instead decide to act like children. Anyone else encounter such people? Or is it just me?
One thing I can say for myself is I am rarely if ever the original cause of such drama as I usually keep myself to myself. Smile

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I usually try to stay out of drama, but I do want to know ALL about the drama. I will occasionally throw in something to a conversation if I think I could make a valid point-but usually I just sit back with my popcorn and watch things unfold. I'm not a debater or one to enjoy conflict at all, so I try to keep myself out of most things.

I am quite nosy though. Big Grin

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
24-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Furries!!!!!!!

I avoid drama like the plague usually. As is shown on this forum. When I join dramatic threads I try to make sense of them and if it doesn't change I leave.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
24-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Why do I participate in drama/ flame wars? Well, when the topic is already on something stupid/vapid, or if I feel strongly against what majority of the posters say, THEN I WILL ADD FUEL TO FIRE. Rarely, intelligent debate will sink to such a low level, so most of the times, I will keep the fire going. Otherwise, fire extinguisher. To put it simply, I did it for the lulz.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
24-07-2011, 01:46 AM
If there's a hot debate going on and I notice a valid point hasn't been made yet, I'll jump in to make it, and get out. Or I might post something intended to be funny just to break the tension. I rarely get into long exchanges with anyone. But what the hell is a site like this without drama? What is debate without conflict? Cornflakes without the milk, I'd say. One thing I like about this site, is although there are the odd bits of real anger and name-calling, most of the discourse is quite civilized, even between people who have little respect for each other (or at least each other's viewpoints). I've seen some posters have a real bare-knuckle battle royale on one thread and be perfectly nice to each other (and even agree) on another thread- at the same time. It's always entertaining.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
26-07-2011, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2011 05:12 AM by Cetaceaphile.)
I do it coz I like to watch furries break down over internet stuff.

No wait, you meant the other thing :O Well; sometimes life is too boring, and sometimes also drama isn't negative. In fact it's been 'drama' that drove most of the major social, political and technological advances over the years. People these days just tend to avoid it because it requires some degree of inteligence and mental work to sort out.

Also the word 'drama' is usually slapped onto absolutely anything. I know people who consider anything that's not entertainment related as being 'drama'.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
27-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Drama is overrated- the word I mean...

It's so overused and well... dramatic, an internet fight is not drama, I don't know where people go thinking it is, an internet fight can be petty or stupid, but hardly dramatic.

Either way, I sometimes do, depending how much knowledge I have about the topic.

Come to think of it, I despise the word, 'drama' in it's slang definition. It seems so... immature.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
28-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Yeah, drama is only drama when it's a topic that attracts fierce debate and people can't have a rational discussion. i.e. Abortion, Euthanasia, Feminism, etc. So 'drama' isn't always the best way to describe that stuff.

I participate in stuff like that to learn more about it. Sometimes I take a position in a debate not because I actually hold that position myself but to learn more and clarify my own stance on those issues. I like to understand things, and see where both sides are coming from.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
28-07-2011, 02:14 AM
lol - this is funny because i found this website when my annoyance at the whole theist/non-theist debate had come to high tide for a while. I will participate in a debate because it is in my nature to debate either side. But i dont feel i participate in Drama. drama occurs when there is a brick wall that cannot be torn down and that brick wall in most of these cases is religion/dogma/jesus what have you. There is no debate at that point as it then becomes like trying to tell my 4 year old that cheetos for dinner isnt going to happen and he stubbornly folds his arms and juts out his chin and starts calling for mom to tell me what for. (you know the whole appeal to higher authority argument) so its useless. and i am not in anyway calling religious people stupid, but i personally feel when you close your intellect off to new ideas you start going down the path of ignorance. I wanted to make that clear because i found a quote by someone in a newspaper years ago that reads "do not argue with stupid people, you will not change their mind, you will eventually sink to their level, and they will win due to experience." i know several people that are both religious and intelligent, and can have a spirited conversation/debate and move on with out the jaw thrusting and arm folding. on a bit of a side note i think that maybe the Christians know their days are numbered, that is why they are getting so loud now. I know a lot of people who think the same way i do but feel that telling their parents would be extremely detrimental to their relationship and they are okay with just not going to church and avoiding religious discussion. Maybe thats a new thread tho..