Dreading going to a funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Dreading going to a funeral
I am going as I've known the lady for years and fondly remember her for always having kids in tow and taking them fishing. When her health took a bad turn she was hospitalized but she was never in pain. It's who will be at the funeral - the Evangelical fundie. Already she's told people how this lady had come to Jesus and was now in a far better place with peace and no pain. What a horrible assumption. The deceased woman had been at peace for years and I'm sure if the doctors had been able to help her she'd have been happy to spend more time with her grandchildren. I don't get why people will tell the survivors that the deceased is in a better place now. They don't know that and it's arrogant to say that. Grrrr, I have to get ready.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Dreading going to a funeral
Go out of respect for your friend.

I think there are two reasons why people say things like "they are in a better place."

One is that they really believe it and the other is that they don't know what else to say.

It's not the time or place for a confrontation, so just avoid her if possible, and if not, make your getaway as soon as you can.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Angele, thank you for your kind words. The fundie was quiet this time which was a surprise but maybe because her son who was doing the euology (that's how he pronounced it) said it all. I was glad the little church was filled to show the surviving daughter our regard for her mother.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I am glad it went well.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)