Dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Rainbow Dreams
I have pretty much weird dreams. Usually vivid and colorful(usually clouds and water, with a swirls of colour) but sometimes they are ones where I am like watching a movie. Sleep paralysis with hallucinations and Lucid dreams pop once in a while. Nightmares very rare( I haven't had one in 3 years). I usually don't remember them unless they are very vivid. I hate the ones were you are falling from the sky and just when you about reach the ground, you wake up. Or the ones were you feel pain or have squeals to a dream that just continue on and on. I had a Micro dream in the span of 1 hour( felt 10 minutes to me) where get ready for school and I'm late, I miss the bus and start to panic. My mum woke me up and I thought I had already got to school. Then they was this one where I was a Greek God(don't know what God) and I had to save Hades from his father and we fell in love(Hades is my favourite Greek GodBig Grin). I also had an Inception!!(I feel proud of that)Tongue

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
RE: Dreams
My dreams have allways been very complex. I started off very young (about 7-8 yrs old) by having recurring nightmares and sleep paralysis where I would wake and for a few seconds I couldnt breathe nor move....this got to a stage where I didnt want to go to sleep at a night time but then one night in a dream something clicked and I "learnt" the ability to wake myself up if the dream started to get bad. The more I practised this the more I started to become in control of my dreams and it wasnt until many years later that I discovered the term "Lucid dreaming".......to me at that time though it was just a neat thing to do.

My dreams although they begun quite frighteneing soon became quite liberating as I would climb huge buildings and leap off them to then hit the ground without a scratch........Ive had dreams where I go to places that I have never been in waking life.......and then revisit these places with other people in different circumstances in other dreams. There has been some "weirdness" in my dreams though.

I dont dream every night and sometimes im not lucid in all of them but I remember when I was younger( I think I was about 11???) I had a dream where I went to a seaside town. The houses were set on a hill and I was walking down one of the high up streets looking down upon the town watching life go past......I looked up into a window of a particular house and saw a man watching me....I felt pleased to see him and waved.....the man didnt respond and just moved away and it left me feeling a teeny bit sad for the rest of the dream.

Well a few years ago I had a dream where I was in a house and everything felt really familiar.....I moved around the house checking it all out when I went into a large bedroom upstairs and looked out of the window. I was looking at the sea side town I had been in around 15 years ago and it was like nothing had changed. I looked down in the street and saw a boy waving at me......it was then I realised fully that I was looking at myself as a child in the dream I had years go....this kinda freaked me out and I moved away from the window and woke myself up. I woke up feeling the same sadness I felt as a kid.

Ive taught a few people to lucid dream before and all I say is first thing is to start waking up 2 hours before your alarm goes off EVERY MORNING.....wake up, set your alarm for normal time and go back to sleep. Your more likely to remember the dream you have in those two hours then you are sleeping fully. Have a small pad that you jot anything down you remember straight away after waking....this will help you get to remember.

The next biggest thing is to recognise that you are in a dream.....when people realise they are dreaming they wake up.....this is something you will have to practise for a bit to overcome.

I cant really advise on what in particular it has to be to trigger self realisation of your dream......for me its any tiny little thing that is weird that sets it off.....but thats why sticking to the sleep patterns for two weeks and having the pad starts to train you to look out for them.....you will pick it up it just depends on how much effort you put into it. Tongue

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
My dreams are a curse. Sure at fist they were nice and normal. Fun things and happy times. But as time went on my dreams began to make les and less sense. Soon they were nothing but madness, pure madness. Nothing made sense in them. but it got worse. Soon they lost shape and a sense of time. They became swirling masses of chaos. I eventualy rejected them. I can't remember the last time I had a dream. I know that everyone dreams every night and sometimes they just don't remember them but that's the problem. I have not remembered any of my dreams in years. I remember what they used to be like and am almost thankful that they torment me no more but a lack of dreams some how leaves an emptyness. Oh well enough of my bitching. Now I can have a good nights sleep without being pestered by dreams. Forget the emptyness, I'll just fill it with other things like.....cake. Cake is tasty.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

I dream like Santiago in Hamingway’s “Old Man and The Sea” – of old places I have been to, long dead people I loved, words and feelings I never fully expressed when I still had the chance. Some of the dreams are sad, some are comforting -- I usually remember most of them when I wake up. Vera and I tell each other our dreams, while sipping our morning coffee by the fireplace – this way we can share our separate dream-lives before starting our day together. Her dreams are often disturbed, she is forever trying to rescue animals in distress, sometime from injury, often from bad people. I have never known anyone else with so much empathy for animals. We have 6 cats now we are rescuing from painful death in winter (would you like to adopt one?) but we used to have dogs – sometime 3 at a time (all dead now). Vera never ordered them around, she negotiated with them, almost like equals, and they loved and respected her for that. So she dreams about her four-legged friends and I dream about dead parents, siblings, friends and Captain Picard of the Enterprise. Then our daily life starts and, for us, it is a dream come true.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zatamon's post
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Lately, it's been claustrophobic dreams: being confined or trapped in small spaces. And i haven't even been in a protest or courted arrest in any way - for years!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
03-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Dreams...

My dreams have a recurring theme, a nightmare in a giant complex (a building with many floors and rooms). Within each room therein lies nightmarish information,images, or just... plain... traumatising. There are three main recurring complexes I have visited in my dreams, and all my dreams involved starting at a random point in the complex. The complexes are "The Science Centre", "The Shopping Mall", and "Future City". Every dream features a nightmarish section of one of the three complexes, like once, furniture furnace in an IKEA store in THE MALL where I struggle to escape from the conveyor belts, and another in the SCIENCE CENTRE where I saw one of my friends being tortured to insanity. As I dream more, I can slowly map out the complexes, which brings fear to me even more.

The problem lies with my innate curiousity. Knowing fully that I will end up having a horrible nightmare, which gets progressively worse as I venture into a complex multiple times, I still attempt to induce myself to return, to seek the secrets of each place, and thus learning more about myself.

I feel that dreams allow one to learn more about oneself, and by mapping out the complexes, maybe I can understand my true self. My hypothesis is that every room in each complex holds a memory, a thought or an idea, which are manifested into physical beings in my dream. The shopping mall holds stuff related to my social life, my family, the world. The science center holds stuff related to academics, school, knowledge based events. The future city holds stuff related to my imagination, my warped thoughts and rejected ideas.

So... welcome to my dream nights, a night of mystery, fear, and reflection.

PS: What a coincidence, bemore! The way you lucid dream is exactly the way I attempt to re-enter my dream worlds! Big Grin Works most of the time!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
05-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Most of the dreams that I've had throughout my life have been weird; many have been about being late/missing the bus, etc.; but quite a few in the past have been terrifying.

Yet, oddly enough, since I became a sceptic, I haven't had a terrifying dream. To put it more clearly, I've had nightmares, but they no longer scare me. Like bemore said, if there is anything at all weird in my dream, alarm bells go off in my head (not literally, but I suddenly realise that I'm in a dream and that there is nothing to be afraid of). The last time that I was actually scared in a dream was when the other people in my dream were freaking out about noises and shadows outside this old house at night. However, because there was nothing strange actually going on in that dream, I don't think I realised I was dreaming (or if I did, I was still apprehensive because I don't like suspense or not knowing if something is going to pop out at me).

But yah, if in a dream there is something very unusual, or defies what I know about the universe, then I can tell myself that, "Hey, you know that these kinds of things don't actually happen in real life. Therefore, you can probably assume that this is a dream." Sometimes the dream continues, but sometimes I wake up.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
(05-11-2011 09:39 AM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Most of the dreams that I've had throughout my life have been weird; many have been about being late/missing the bus, etc.; but quite a few in the past have been terrifying.

Yet, oddly enough, since I became a sceptic, I haven't had a terrifying dream. To put it more clearly, I've had nightmares, but they no longer scare me. Like bemore said, if there is anything at all weird in my dream, alarm bells go off in my head (not literally, but I suddenly realise that I'm in a dream and that there is nothing to be afraid of). The last time that I was actually scared in a dream was when the other people in my dream were freaking out about noises and shadows outside this old house at night. However, because there was nothing strange actually going on in that dream, I don't think I realised I was dreaming (or if I did, I was still apprehensive because I don't like suspense or not knowing if something is going to pop out at me).

But yah, if in a dream there is something very unusual, or defies what I know about the universe, then I can tell myself that, "Hey, you know that these kinds of things don't actually happen in real life. Therefore, you can probably assume that this is a dream." Sometimes the dream continues, but sometimes I wake up.
I think I have nightmares but to me they seem like vivid dreams that just finish so fast, I don't remember them. The only nightmare I had recently(first time in three years -_-) was when my mum went to the shop and I was alone. I got scared that she didn't come back, so I took the car and drove to this house. I was calling someone when I went in(don't remember who) and all the sudden something was dragging me with claws. I realized I was paralyzed and tried to wake my self. I did and only to be dragged back in dream straight away like someone was had they hands on me and was taking me back. I tried this for 3 times until I was really awake. That's was my most weirdest dream.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
I used to have alot of dreams that i enjoyed, cupboards full of cakes or explorin places, i still get them occasionally but mostly i get dreams that don't make sense or dreams that seem so real that when i wake up i think that it actually happened.
I once woke up and while i was asleep i was lifting the beside cabinet up and letting it drop, thats what woke me up. I had a dream that someone chopped my arm of and when i woke up i was laid on it and i got masive pins and needles. I love dreams even the scarry ones, i think they're so interesting, the dreams where i am in control or i know what going to happen next have to be the best, i would realy love to know if they have any meaning.
05-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I've been lucid dreaming since my mid-teens, I was actually trying to have an out of body experience at the time. I was reading some new age books and I was really into meditation, then I finally thought I had succeeded when I found myself fully concious floating over my sleeping body, My first thought was "oh crap I just killed myself!" Then woke up and I eventually realised that I was just having lucid dreams.

After I started having lucid dreams I soon stopped having nightmares because I would just walk up to any monsters (or whatever) and tell it to go away because I had the power to destroy it, and they usually would disappear or turn into something else like a bunny or something none threatening.

One thing I have come to think about is this question theists always ask about how athiests can be moral. And when I think about my dreaming, when I am fully in control of my dreams I have never had the urge to do anything immoral. I 've never dreamt of raping someone, or murder or anything like that. I'm just not interested in trying it.