Dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 03:40 AM
RE: Dreams
I've never seen green or yellow vomit in my life.

Frankly, I don't remember the colour, they memory occurred around a decade ago.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 04:56 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(19-04-2013 03:40 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I've never seen green or yellow vomit in my life.

Frankly, I don't remember the colour, they memory occurred around a decade ago.

The reason I ask is because if it is green like pea soup, that's a sign of demonic possession. Did your parents ever take note of you turning your head a full 360 degrees during one of these "overheating" episodes? Any spontaneous urination?

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 151
19-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Surely you jest, "demonic possession", really?

They called it 'overheating' because I would get a fever.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-04-2013, 05:14 AM
(19-04-2013 05:04 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Surely you jest, "demonic possession", really?

They called it 'overheating' because I would get a fever.

I'm not jesting....and don't call me Shirley.

I'd give you a prophylactic exorcism myself but I'm not a reverend.....Egor might be your only hope.

Insults From Thinkingatheists forgiven 151
19-04-2013, 05:21 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 05:34 AM by Free Thought.)
If somebody gives me an exorcism, I am likely to burst into flames whether I'm possessed or not, after all, I am a unbelieving heretic.

that is of course assuming that brand of hocus pocus could actually do anything. which I highly doubt is the case.

19-04-2013, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 06:04 AM by bbeljefe.)
(18-04-2013 01:00 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I had an interesting dream last night and I'm having trouble recalling the whole thing.

I was in a school setting. I had never been there before and they gave me a map to let me know what to expect and where to be, etc. It was to help me feel more comfortable in this new place. But the map may as well have been written in a different language; I would turn the map over and over in my hands and yet I couldn't decipher the text. When I told a person, who seemed to be another classmate, she hunched her shoulders and displayed a look that seemed to say, "I can't talk to you about this. I'll get in trouble." I started to panic and I looked up to see the teacher/professor glaring at me. He seemed to be upset that I was so ignorant. I looked down at my feet and saw that I was barefoot. I didn't like that. When I looked to my right, there were a pair of shoes sitting there. I remember thinking to myself, "I'd NEVER wear those in a given situation or if I were given a choice. But I NEED shoes. I'll have to make do." After I struggled to put the simple, slip-on shoes on my feet, I looked up and saw that everyone had left. I was all alone in the unfamiliar room. The door seemed so far away and the table at which I was sitting suddenly seemed huge! (Think "Alice in Wonderland," when she entered the room where she was small and yet she was also the biggest...) I can't recall the rest of the dream between my noticing the door so far away, and when I opened that door. When I opened the door, I suddenly felt overwhelmed and I was also calm, if THAT makes any sense. As I got ready to walk through the door, I woke up.[i]

I don't remember seeing a thread regarding dreams. I think it would be cool to have one where people can share their dreams. You ever remember snippets of a dream, but you couldn't describe it very well? Or what about when you remember it, and then when you start telling someone, the dream unfolds as though you're describing a movie?
  • Most vivid dream
  • Weirdest dream
  • Scariest dream
  • "WTF?" dream
  • Coolest dream
  • Funniest dream

I love analyzing dreams. I think that our subconscious has a lot of issues to work out. I think that the images we see and the feelings we feel while dreaming tell a lot about ourselves. Even if one thinks that dreams are just a jumbled mess of random images, it would still be fun to share them Big Grin

You're right, dreams are authored by our subconscious and they are often messages telling us something very important about ourselves or our surroundings. The annoying thing about dreams is that they aren't plain language. They are metaphorical from start to finish and not much in a dream is to be taken at face value, so that makes interpreting them accurately something of a challenge.

I don't know a lot about dream analysis but I've done some light reading on the subject and Egor is also correct when he says they're the divine speaking to us. The only thing wrong with his assessment is that he doesn't accept that the voice of god is our subconscious. And our subconscious is often also called the true self, since it is us without the baggage of social conformity, vanity, religion, patriotism, or any of the other false doctrines that society foists upon us as children.

From what I know of your situation, I've got a few ideas about your dream that might be of interest....

The unfamiliar setting represents an unknown... as in the changes you'll soon be making in your life. That it's a school represents unsolicited authority. I think that's your family or possibly some other meddlesome person/people. The incomprehensible map represents all the things these people are telling you to do with your life... most lead a different direction and none of them make any sense whatever to you. The classmate who rejected your plea for help in deciphering the map represents a person you should be comfortable with and perhaps have been in the past, but whom has resigned themselves to the plight of conformity and as such, ignores you. I think that's your sister or, perhaps, the best friend you mentioned before. But the professor could be your sister or a parent, who is showing their disapproval at your lack of following the jumbled map directions they've given you. The size of the table indicates the childlike, helpless feeling you have in deciding what path you should take and the distance to the door is the long journey you're about to embark upon. The shoes are my favorite part of this dream, because I think they're key to the message the dream is conveying. They're not very attractive but, they're not so bad as to be unwearable. Especially when you're barefoot. Being barefoot is another metaphor for helplessness. The shoes... they allow you to run.

Your mind is telling you that the situation you're in is not good and that even though you can't find the perfect opportunity (nice shoes), you should put on the ones you have and head out the door away from all this confusion. And of course, once you reach the door and actually see what lies on the other side, you realize that it is indeed a better place, if not the perfect one. A place where you can find calm and comfort.

Listen to your subconscious... it knows what's best for you, because it is you.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
19-04-2013, 11:30 AM

(19-04-2013 03:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I am almost convinced that I don't have dreams, I never remember anything. To me, sleep is like time travel; I got to sleep at 10:00 pm and wake up at 6:00 am, I don't know where the night went, I don't really care, all I know is the journey took only a second between my going to sleep and waking up.

I do remember some vivid hallucinations from way back when I has 6-7 when I would "Overheat" at night, as my parents would call it. One time involved disembodied voices yelling at me, followed by my screaming back at them, and me being awaken by my parents covered my own in vomit. Though I am not even sure these memories are real, I am damn sure they are.

Good God. Confused
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 11:31 AM
For the last few months I've been waking up almost every night, about an hour after falling asleep, and my dreams come with me...

They started as hypnogogic (or is it hypnopompic) hallucinations. 90% of the time they were spiders, which I'm not afraid of, and the rest of the time, shadow people.

Lately something has changed. They're now a whole bunch of neat things. The lines in my room started to move to create wonderful patterns or a net which lowers onto me. Or a couple days ago my window floated into the center of the room, then tipped forward and glowing water started pouring out.
19-04-2013, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 01:07 PM by Chas.)
When someone starts to relate a dream to me, my brain just shuts down my auditory systems.

All I hear is "blah, blah, blah,..." I'm so thankful when it stops.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-04-2013, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 01:10 PM by Peanut.)
(19-04-2013 02:32 AM)Egor Wrote:  Dreams are the primary way the Divine communicates to us. They are symbolized messages.

I can respect people and what they believe. If you want to believe that a god is talking to you through your dreams, that's on you. I don't believe it, because I've been a fan of knowledge and reason for far too long; I would NEVER assume that some divine being was talking to me. Again, that's just me. To each his own and all that. Or "po-tay-to" and "po-tah-to," if you will.

(19-04-2013 02:32 AM)Egor Wrote:  A lot of people think dreams reveal psychological secrets to us, but I don't buy that. Most dreams, like yours, are far too bizarre to mean anything psychological, and moreover, the psychological approach is pretty shallow. Sure, it may indicate school anxiety, but so what? You're probably already conscious of that. The dream is too bizzare to mean only that.

Why wouldn't you "buy" that? When I read that, it made me think you feel as though humans were "reaching" to try and explain something and they happened to call it "dream interpretation." I get the feeling you got offended by their egotistical search for the real meanings behind things. It's very telling that someone who believes in God would say they don't "buy it."

I mean, what did the people do when they saw Jesus walk on water? What did people think when even the sun rose and set each morning and night? The people had to find answers for these things. (From where does the sun come? How did he DO that?!) Well, one could argue (and I DO argue this point) that THEY reached for the answers to life's mysteries. They couldn't possibly comprehend the world around them; They HAD to attribute these things to something. They decided to write a special book to help explain these "phenomena" to others. Once it's written, the gullible and ignorant people of the world received it as "fact." ("It MUST be God! There is no other logical explanation!")

(19-04-2013 02:32 AM)Egor Wrote:  Also, age seems to matter. The younger a person is, within reason, the stronger their dreams are. I believe this is because the Divine is attempting to show one their path. Old people have charts that have already been run out for the most part and their dreams seem to be more concerned with less important issues. From early teens until about thirty is when astrological readings and dreams are most important. Of course that's just a general rule, there are always exceptions.

That's my opinion on dreams.
Why does Jesus and God have to play such a role in every aspect of your life?

Why must you try to disregard science and years of research of the human brain?

I also find this very interesting because it's coming from a religious person. The fact that you even mentioned age in correlation to how "strong" the dreams are makes me giggle. Let's look at the above sentence:

Also, age seems to matter. The younger a person is, within reason, the stronger their dreams are.

I think of indoctrination and how religious individuals "get 'em while they are young." The young are more easily susceptible to manipulation. They don't know any better; They learn from the adults around them. Let's talk about the "old people:"

Old people have charts that have already been run out for the most part and their dreams seem to be more concerned with less important issues.

This made me giggle even more. Why? Because the religious person writes off an older, more educated individual (due to many years of questioning the world around them and such.) as someone who doesn't matter. Their dreams are not as powerful. They don't need to learn anymore.

Let me ask you this: If I gave you a choice, would you rather interpret MY dreams (I'm almost twenty-four) or my SON'S dreams. (He just turned six.) I genuinely want to hear your answer. It will give me even more insight about your personality. Smartass

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post