Dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: Dreams
(29-04-2015 12:13 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Anybody else regularly remember their dreams?

Or how about "lucid dreaming"? I've long had the ability to recall my dreams with minimal effort, and over the last few years have developed the ability on some occasions to become aware that I am dreaming while in the midst of a dream.

I know its just brain activity but it always leaves me with a cool feeling upon waking. Though it does have negative effects such as sleep paralysis. A couple years ago I got stuck between asleep and awake and I was seeing a "demonic" girl in the corner of my room that was set on hurting me. Unable to move, the terror is a rush, but once I got myself together the demon girl turned out to be....my vacuum.

For me, sleep is most often akin to a blank loading screen; everything goes black, and then I wake up some time later.
Suffice it to say, I rarely ever recall experiencing dreams at all.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2015, 06:08 PM
(29-04-2015 12:13 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Anybody else regularly remember their dreams?

Or how about "lucid dreaming"? I've long had the ability to recall my dreams with minimal effort, and over the last few years have developed the ability on some occasions to become aware that I am dreaming while in the midst of a dream.

I know its just brain activity but it always leaves me with a cool feeling upon waking. Though it does have negative effects such as sleep paralysis. A couple years ago I got stuck between asleep and awake and I was seeing a "demonic" girl in the corner of my room that was set on hurting me. Unable to move, the terror is a rush, but once I got myself together the demon girl turned out to be....my vacuum.

Yep
Yep
and Yep...

I find that melatonin increases the frequency of my dreams, or at least how many I can remember. However, I also experience occasional hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations. Like the majority of people who experience them, they're usually spiders. Luckily I have ZERO fear of spiders...

The giant alligator that emerged from my wall, however, had me coming to my senses standing outside my closed bedroom, vaguely recalling the feeling of my foot catching on my covers as I bolted to the door. Facepalm
29-04-2015, 06:10 PM
(29-04-2015 03:25 PM)Marozz Wrote:  I also have lucid dreams in which I am fully aware that I'm dreaming. It's a cool feeling. I remember in one dream I was walking along a canal. As I was aware it was a dream I decided to try and jump over the canal. It worked, and it was a great feeling flying through the air, it seemed to take ages before I reached the other side of the canal. I woke up with a big smile on my face.

Yup... those are great.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-04-2015, 06:10 PM
(29-04-2015 03:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  As you get older you don't remember your dreams as much. It's kind of a bummer. And the dreams change over time. I used to dream that I could fly, which is a common dream, but I haven't had a flying dream in about 15 years. After having children my dreams have gotten kind of choppy. They're very short dreams now.

Citation?

I have had more memorable dreams over the last 5 years than any time in my life.
29-04-2015, 06:13 PM
(29-04-2015 04:08 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I was laying down in my bed when I heard a thump. I opened my eyes and standing next to me was a small Japanese woman. "Is this room 1249? I'm looking for room 1249?" She said as she grabbed my leg. I jumped out of bed and shouted "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!" this woke up my wife and she saw me standing next to the bed ready to fight.

No one was in my room. It was so vivid. I walked around the apartment to see if anyone was inside. everything was locked up tight. I laid back down and went back to sleep.

I have some really realistic dreams at times. And and my body has a tendency to react as such. I've never jumped out of bed like that before thou. What I've contemplated must have happened was recently I've been getting a lot of charlie horses. Very painful. One may have started when I was sleeping and the combination of eating a late dinner could have contributed. I think i'm luck i was never in the military. I think i would be a sure candidate for PTSD.

You gotta hear Mike tell his story ---

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...=130644070

Very funny story -- and right up your alley.......

Check out the Moth story segment.... You'll laugh your ass off...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-05-2015, 02:44 PM
(29-04-2015 04:28 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  For me, sleep is most often akin to a blank loading screen; everything goes black, and then I wake up some time later.
Suffice it to say, I rarely ever recall experiencing dreams at all.

Pretty much the same here, there are rare times where I will dream, but everything is still black but I have an awareness of whats going on.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
12-05-2015, 03:02 PM
I remember my dreams fairly often but not for long. I get up brush my teeth take a shower and they are gone. I do have a few that I still remember and some that I can't remember right now, but I know I have had them before. Also I'm usually aware that it's only a dream when ever I'm having nightmares.

One dream was supposed to be a nightmare. It has that urgency that nightmares usually have about them but it wasn't really scary. I was Mads Mikkelsen running around naked in the city I once studied in. I was fleeing from something but had time to stop and give autographs.

The other was a nightmare that I had me in tears when I woke up. I was in a house to some sort of party. My x was there too and our daughter too though she was just a baby in then dream. Suddenly a tornado was tearing everything apart and I couldn't find my daughter. I happened upon her mother and asked where our daughter was. To which she calmly replied that she was safe outside under a bush. That was when i woke up sure that I had lost her until i calmed down.

I also have a vague memory about a nightmare i had as a very young boy. Something about cartoonish animals in 2D that danced around my bed.
12-05-2015, 03:21 PM
I've never been able to do lucid dreaming, but I've never done anything like trying to train myself of it. I knew a group of people talking about doing it and some ways to do it before but I've never been that interested to try.

I get to a state often in my dreams, where I begin to be semi-lucid where I realize it's a dream, but then my pessimistic mind generally makes something I dislike happen in the dream, and I try to make myself go back and change it, and once I get stuck there realizing I'm clearly dreaming I wind up waking up.

I don't often remember my dreams in general, I do if I sleep in complete silence without a tv or radio on, but I don't often sleep that way. I write them down pretty often though, but for me that's usually coherent messes. And my dreams are often boring, just "could be" real life scenarios with just a few askew things. Never any alien adventure dreams.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't remember the majority of my dreams. Two types I tend to remember though.

One is that I am flying or bouncing along, and it's a great, wonderful feeling. I fly/bounce along roads, through nature, through cities bypassing all the people, just about anywhere and it is always exhilarating.

The other kind is dark, it happened twice - when my mom died and when my second husband died. I relive the deaths - daily, for weeks on end. Both times I was with them when they died, and it just replays and replays and replays. That makes me think that the brain uses dreams to rerun things it has trouble dealing with until all is sorted.

Once those dreams stop, they never come back. The flying or bouncing though comes back periodically. Damn glad that it works out that way.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-05-2015, 04:14 PM
(12-05-2015 03:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  One is that I am flying or bouncing along, and it's a great, wonderful feeling.

I frequently find myself able to act like some kind of hovercraft in my dreams; when I want to go somewhere I just lift an inch or so above the ground and glide. Everybody else is walking but I'm just sliding along beside them.

When I was younger I rarely remembered any dreams unless something woke me in the middle of one. Now it seems like I do nothing but dream all night long. I prefer the void since I think it means I'm not getting enough deep sleep now.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post