21-12-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Dreams and Life after Death?
(21-12-2014 03:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  ...
if you ask me

No one did.

Drinking Beverage

Exactly. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-12-2014, 09:02 AM
(20-12-2014 02:10 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Sometimes you recognize a person in a dream, but when waking up, you realize the face was wrong, it was someone else's.

That's actually something I've been thinking about recently. I usually "know" most of the people in my dreams; they are often friends that I haven't seen for years as well as current friends and acquaintances but when I think about the dream after waking up I realize that none of them actually looked at all like the people I "knew" that they were. Gender seems to be preserved, just not the actual body or faces.

Nice to hear that's not completely unusual; I was beginning to wonder.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
21-12-2014, 09:24 AM
(21-12-2014 09:02 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That's actually something I've been thinking about recently. I usually "know" most of the people in my dreams; they are often friends that I haven't seen for years as well as current friends and acquaintances but when I think about the dream after waking up I realize that none of them actually looked at all like the people I "knew" that they were. Gender seems to be preserved, just not the actual body or faces.

Nice to hear that's not completely unusual; I was beginning to wonder.

Eheh yeah, you're not alone. Big Grin

Once I dreamed I was flying and I decided to fire a Kamehameha, the famous energy blast from Dragon Ball. If the afterlife is set in the DBZ universe, then I'm all for it! Big Grin Unfortunately I woke up just before firing it. Dodgy

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Because I have such a massive ego, in my dreams, I decided to grow large enough in size to look over all of my city, then larger to view the whole world.

I grew larger to view the galaxy and then the entire visible universe was there before me. I grew even larger and became aware of a new place.

I was in an ocean like environment. Our universe was an expanding bloom on a coral reef. Fish were nibbling at the edges of the universe with other large schools of fish swimming around.

It's amazing what the mind can do.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
21-12-2014, 11:56 AM
(21-12-2014 01:36 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 12:21 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Because there isn't. The very phrase "life after death" is a contradiction.

Prove it. You're so sure, so prove it. You're not just stating a belief are you?

Death (n): The end of life.

(21-12-2014 01:36 AM)Gordon Wrote:  You're correct: the appropriate term would be life after life, not life after death. So prove it. You stated it as a fact, now back it up.

Anybody with verifiable evidence of any sort of afterlife would be so utterly showered in recognition that the Nobel committee would have a hard time scheduling a moment to award them the prizes. Do we see this? No. We see a bunch of half-baked quacks that are big on talk and short on evidence.

(21-12-2014 01:36 AM)Gordon Wrote:  Or shut the fuck up. Thumbsup

Leave the petty four-letter words on the playground Gordon. We all learned them in grade school and they aren't any more impressive now than they were then.

As a living example of nature's cruelty you should take more pride in your insults.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
21-12-2014, 12:00 PM
(21-12-2014 01:45 AM)Gordon Wrote:  What we have learned about the natural world, and how we have applied it, has made life only a little better. I say only a little because for every technological advance, we have almost as much suffering as we do benefit.

Fine. Go live in a cave and die of polio.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
21-12-2014, 01:35 PM
(21-12-2014 11:17 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Because I have such a massive ego, in my dreams, I decided to grow large enough in size to look over all of my city, then larger to view the whole world.

I grew larger to view the galaxy and then the entire visible universe was there before me. I grew even larger and became aware of a new place.

I was in an ocean like environment. Our universe was an expanding bloom on a coral reef. Fish were nibbling at the edges of the universe with other large schools of fish swimming around.

You know, I do dream interpretation, and I can tell you, that was an important dream. I do dream interpretation not only for the dreamer, but for everyone who reads my interpretations, because ofthen the dream has a message for everyone. Yours was one such dream.

And interestingly, the way you record it is like the way the Gospels are written. What you have written transcends whether or not the dream actually occurred. The record of if is what really matters.

I know you're an atheist, but damn. Gasp That was a serious dream, symbolically speaking.
21-12-2014, 01:39 PM
(21-12-2014 08:31 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If consciousness were not reliant on physical brain processes, then we would observe that. Do we ever observe that ? Guess what ?

Yep. In the behavior of paramecium, especially P. caudatum.
21-12-2014, 01:50 PM
(21-12-2014 01:35 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 11:17 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Because I have such a massive ego, in my dreams, I decided to grow large enough in size to look over all of my city, then larger to view the whole world.

You know, I do dream interpretation, and I can tell you, that was an important dream. I do dream interpretation not only for the dreamer, but for everyone who reads my interpretations, because ofthen the dream has a message for everyone. Yours was one such dream.

And interestingly, the way you record it is like the way the Gospels are written. What you have written transcends whether or not the dream actually occurred. The record of if is what really matters.

I know you're an atheist, but damn. Gasp That was a serious dream, symbolically speaking.

I had a dream where I was naked and riding a bacon dragon into the eye of a tornado made out of blood and lightning while fighting cyber ninjas riding flying alligators that had jet packs that had missile launchers attached to their sides, all in order to save the world from the evil Cyber Super Ninja Overlord Thraxys before he could take over the world. I distinctly remember ripping through the normal ninjas like confetti and a few hit me but I was mostly OK. I had a REALLY awesome Nano-tech "I think" translucent blue sword that was a cross between a machete and a scimitar..or a It was really cool looking. Wide bladed and with one of those flat upward angle points and a black tech looking handle.

Before the dream ended I remember looking at my body as I was hit and I was dressed in this weird black colored cyber gear, almost like what police would wear in like 500 years from now.

What does my dream mean Gordo?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-12-2014, 02:40 PM
(21-12-2014 01:50 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  What does my dream mean Gordo?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post