Dreams and Life after Death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2014, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 04:58 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Dreams and Life after Death?
(20-12-2014 03:18 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 01:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  In order to dream, an organism needs an intact functioning BRAIN.
Dead people's brains do not function.

The end.

So, for all your Ivy League education, multiple degrees, genius of medicine/astrophysics/religion, that's what you got? An atheist statement of faith?

How do you know what dead people experience?

Nice try demented one.
Fail again.
YOU are the one who never replies when someone "gets" you. YOU deny thousands of years of Christian tradition, then turn around on a dime and USE the very same traditions in an attempt to refute things you find inconvenient, and toss around "what scholars say" when NOT ONE of them would ever support anything you are up to.

If YOU have ever paid attention in nursing school, you would know what the function of living brains is. We, (well not you, but the rest of the world), know what happens to brains that are damaged and cease to function. Therefore saying that my statement is a statement of "faith" simply yet again demonstrates your complete dishonesty and ignorance and inability for any sort of informed discourse. You are no nurse are you ? You are a mental patient. There can be no doubt about it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2014, 03:55 PM
(20-12-2014 02:21 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  You always here* moronic atheists claim that ...

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

* hear
(said the *supposed* writer) Facepalm
Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load....Laugh out load

Who's the moron again ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-12-2014, 04:59 PM
(20-12-2014 03:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We, (well not you, but the rest of the world), know what happens to brains that are damaged and cease to function.

Well, I know what happens to a dead brain. But what happens to consciousness? But don't say it's generated by the brain like you know it is, because I'm only going to ask your Great Youthfulness how it generates consciousness. Surely someone with your advanced IQ knows the answer--or are you just going to come back and swear at me. Laugh out load
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2014, 05:06 PM
(20-12-2014 01:10 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My experience with post arrests, anoxic brain injuries, TBIs, and CVAs changed my perspective of what defines the self. Those experiences held a substantial role in my deconversion and the possibility of a post mortem preservation of the self.

Edit: autocorrect and grammar correction

Then you haven't seen those events correctly. Unfortunately, I'm out of time. Got to go to work. If I get a chance there, I'll return to this and explain. But I too have seen a lot of death, CVAs, TBI and anoxic brain injury. I've been on codes like you. (1 year cardiology step down, 5 years ICU). Now I'm a psych nurse, and that's a whole new experience to shake your faith. But I saw things differently than you. And I will come back and try to expand on this.

Hasta luego. [Image: wavey.gif]
20-12-2014, 05:07 PM
(20-12-2014 12:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 12:22 PM)Gordon Wrote:  I'm telling you all right now, I'm judging you. The initial responses tell me who knows anything and who knows nothing. Who should be considered, and who should be ignored. Who has any critical thinking skills and who's a fucking moron. So, you might want to think before you respond.

Only gawd can judge...read the rules again...moron.

"Judge not lest ye be judged"
or would you have us do it all over again?

The trouble with god is he/she/it can only be gauged in very bief and confusing episodes.
20-12-2014, 05:22 PM
(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  My point is this, we do have reason to believe we live after we die, we dream don’t we? Isn’t it pretty logical to assume that’s what’s waiting for us in the end?

Once again, in an infinite universe that holds an infinite amount of everything, you have somehow broken all the fucking laws of physics and hoarded an infinite amount of stupidity all to yourself.

How the fuck do you even exist?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
20-12-2014, 05:31 PM
(20-12-2014 03:42 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 12:40 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why would blatant strawman arguments be worth arguing against. I said it was simple? Run by that exact phrasing again and tell me where I said it was simple? Or even where I implied it was simple?

Is there any evidence you're honest in any of your claims after you made something up deliberately or from complete incompetence?

Why would anyone desire themselves, in this case you, to come up with a theory of how dreams work on their own? That's excessive gratification of individual worth. There is actually various forms and studies upon it. Not having a definitive answer isn't a lack of understanding how they function though. Your concept thrown in about life-events or recordings is bizarre and I'm not sure where you find that as some definitive claims. There is multiple paths a lot of brains can take do to immense powers of reactions and creative angles one can take. BTW, when you're trying to set a standard, it's more beneficial to discussion to lay your meaning of terminology that people move about all the time. I wouldn't know what you mean by work or conscious without you saying since people of your type of rep on here tend to move their definitions around at every bat of an eye.

Look at you: you try to sound all academic, and you can't answer the stupid question I asked you. But you sure acted like you knew it before, didn't you? Wink

What is the "stupid question?" You said, How does that make a dream happen without a demonstration of what "that" was after you rambled. Is "that" supposed to be neurons are frying all the time or they die... because that is all you said of anything substantial prior. Just because you use a question make, doesn't mean you are actually asking question deserving a response. So you were right it is a "stupid question."

I actually am just well versed in talking on these types of forums with people who don't actually have any interest in learning or discussing openly. Especially if you are a disingenuous person, You'll just feel more enticed to your own position even when met with logically sound information. You misrepresenting what is being said so blatantly and your reputation here is enough reason to see that is the type of person you are.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
20-12-2014, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 07:43 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-12-2014 04:59 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Surely someone with your advanced IQ knows the answer--or are you just going to come back and swear at me.

Oh. You mean like you do ALL THE TIME ?
You mean at your advanced age you can't do a scientific search ?
Not surprising.

Consciousness is an emergent property of intact brain structures.
a. sensory input +
b. rapidly referenced to memory
> sensation of "consciousness", which to some degree is a false sensation. What is experienced as "this instant" is actually already in the past as the processes take some time, (however small).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...ciousness/
http://www.livescience.com/47096-theorie...sness.html

(Neither I nor anyone else said anything about IQ. As usual you invent shit to suit yourself.)

20-12-2014, 06:10 PM
(20-12-2014 05:31 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 03:42 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Look at you: you try to sound all academic, and you can't answer the stupid question I asked you. But you sure acted like you knew it before, didn't you? Wink

What is the "stupid question?" You said, How does that make a dream happen without a demonstration of what "that" was after you rambled. Is "that" supposed to be neurons are frying all the time or they die... because that is all you said of anything substantial prior. Just because you use a question make, doesn't mean you are actually asking question deserving a response. So you were right it is a "stupid question."

I actually am just well versed in talking on these types of forums with people who don't actually have any interest in learning or discussing openly. Especially if you are a disingenuous person, You'll just feel more enticed to your own position even when met with logically sound information. You misrepresenting what is being said so blatantly and your reputation here is enough reason to see that is the type of person you are.
Your attacks here re 'stupid questions' seems to equivocate a bit.
Sure, at times Gordon seems to be pushing hard line absolutes, at other times he seems to be engaging in speculations that go beyond our current cognitive reasoning powers, or rationality.
Are you suggesting that evolution, logic, science, maths, and secular wisdom is all the universe, absolutely, is about?
Science doesn't understand consciousness very well. It seems that at least in some areas of atheism our accruing knowledge existentially jumps the gun.
This is not to say that ad fidem miltancy is not even worse.
Attempts to glorify god (s) that don't take fully into account secular analyses aren't worth a crumpet.
A form of spiritual evolution:perhaps always in a state of flux, with all 'of us' somehow participants may not be as silly as it sounds. In Christianity there is a branch known as process theology ( I haven't looked too hard as yet) who are working in this area. Check it out if you wish.
20-12-2014, 06:37 PM
(20-12-2014 04:59 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 03:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We, (well not you, but the rest of the world), know what happens to brains that are damaged and cease to function.

Well, I know what happens to a dead brain. But what happens to consciousness? But don't say it's generated by the brain like you know it is, because I'm only going to ask your Great Youthfulness how it generates consciousness. Surely someone with your advanced IQ knows the answer--or are you just going to come back and swear at me. Laugh out load

That we don't yet have a complete explanation of consciousness does not mean you get to blithely insert woo and be believed.

Your critical thinking skills are all but non-existent.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post