RE: Dreams and Life after Death?
Ya know, you motherfuckers are just encouraging him. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-12-2014, 05:24 AM
(21-12-2014 05:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Ver" is Latin prefix meaning "green", (as in "verdant"). Veridickinism = green-dick-ism. Big Grin

Actually, green is vĭrĭdis, and the etymology for "verdant" points to that word. Tongue The italian word for green for example, "verde", comes from virĭdem (accusative).

Vēr instead means spring, or youth (figurative). Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
21-12-2014, 05:40 AM
(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  You always here moronic atheists claim that there’s no evidence for the afterlife, none at all, and until they have evidence or a reason to believe, they will choose not to believe.

*hear

Well what do you expect you do the same. You believe in magic pixies? If not then you can realize why we don't accept the concept of the after life.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Okay, first you have to discount all near death experiences, which is simply sticking one’s head in the sand if you ask me, but then you have to discount the utter inability of the brain to produce consciousness. You just have to have a kind of faith that it does (even though simple life forms with no neurology at all seem to be quite conscious).

That is not evidence at all. Notice how they are called Near death experiences and not death experiences. Near death, you begin to lose oxygen, and when you lose oxygen you begin to see shit. This can range from a godzilla to just colors. So your argument here is not valid because you don't even understand what causes NDEs in the first place.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Finally, you have to discount dreams. I mean, think about it: you go to sleep at night, and suddenly you find yourself in a strange world that you never created. Sure, there are images you may see from your waking life, but we’ve all had dreams that defy that. We’ve all had dreams that we wake up from and say, “That had nothing to do with me or anything going on in my head.”

Like what? You don't think humans can just make shit up? You do know dreams are animals thinking while they sleep right? So when someone dreams about something that has nothing to do with them they are dreaming about something they came up with or thinking about a friend or just a situation in general.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Some will say, “Nope, no matter what, a dream is just a replayed recording of life events, even if you can’t remember those events.” But again, that’s a statement of faith, that’s an opinion used to support atheism.

When has it even been used as an argument to disprove the afterlife concept(notice that I said that as atheist can believe in life after death). A dream as I said before is an animal thinking in its sleep.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Fact is we have these strange dreams that have nothing to do with us. The very person we are in the dream may not even be the person we are, but we are conscious through them nonetheless. Why should we suppose that’s not exactly what happens when we die?

It is no different then if I where to create an environment I have never been in through a character I am not. It is not proof of the after life, it is just proof that humans can make up shit while they are sleeping.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  It sure looks like it would be. It sure looks like the more we lose consciousness in the waking world, the more we gain consciousness in the dream world. Some would say our mind is always on the astral plane and we are simply blinded to it by our physical awareness when we are awake.

And your evidence for this is? I don't think you have one, in fact I don't remember any scientific papers on that. There is however something on hallucinations

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  After undergoing surgery and waking up from the general anesthesia, some people will say they remember nothing. It was just a blank loss of time. Some atheists use this as evidence that we blink out of consciousness entirely. But they don’t understand that the property of most general anesthetics is amnesia. Especially if Versed (midazolam) was used.

Again source. We don't use it as evidence of there is no life after death, only that this one person did not see anything in that moment. Remember NDEs are not death so using them as evidence for the afterlife or no afterlife is irrelevent.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  But we don’t’ have to go to that extent. There are mornings we wake up and remember nothing. That doesn’t mean nothing was experienced. In fact we know that people go into a dream state approximately 4-6 times a night, and in fact they may be in a dream state at other times during sleep as well. I can personally attest that I seem to dream all night long.

Well that is not true, seeing as many people don't remember what they experienced because they experienced nothing at all http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/drea...-not-dream

Dreams are just animals sleep thinking.

(20-12-2014 12:01 PM)Gordon Wrote:  My point is this, we do have reason to believe we live after we die, we dream don’t we? Isn’t it pretty logical to assume that’s what’s waiting for us in the end?

No, this has proved nothing except that you are not the brightest person. I must also tell you I a never dream, I sleep for rest I don't need any dream. So by your logic, I am evidence for the after life absence.

[Image: Science.png]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
21-12-2014, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2014 07:37 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-12-2014 05:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Ya know, you motherfuckers are just encouraging him. Tongue

I was thinking that. He's beneath contempt. No one else will have him. I just put him on ignore.

(21-12-2014 05:24 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 05:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Ver" is Latin prefix meaning "green", (as in "verdant"). Veridickinism = green-dick-ism. Big Grin

Actually, green is vĭrĭdis, and the etymology for "verdant" points to that word. Tongue The italian word for green for example, "verde", comes from virĭdem (accusative).

Vēr instead means spring, or youth (figurative). Big Grin

Well it sounded good. Big Grin
I know he thinks it references "veritas" but Green Dick makes as much sense as he does. "Vert" is French for "green" also. That's probably what make me think of it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Yes, I agree that it seems to be more related to that. I looked it up in a Latin dictionary to make sure. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
21-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Popcorn

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
21-12-2014, 08:22 AM
(20-12-2014 09:31 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 06:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  That we don't yet have a complete explanation of consciousness does not mean you get to blithely insert woo and be believed.

Your critical thinking skills are all but non-existent.

If there is no physical explanation for consciousness, which there is not and never will be. Then it is not unreasonable to conclude that physical processes will have no effect on it, like death.

"and never will be" Seriously, Gordo? Is that prophecy or just more of your pre-suppositional bullshit?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-12-2014, 08:28 AM
(21-12-2014 12:21 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I once dreamt that I could interpret French in five dimensions. I'm pretty sure that god had nothing to do with it. I'm told that you can get wierder shit from dropping acid or eating the wrong right mushrooms.

Fixed that for you. Thumbsup

21-12-2014, 08:31 AM
(21-12-2014 08:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 09:31 PM)Gordon Wrote:  If there is no physical explanation for consciousness, which there is not and never will be. Then it is not unreasonable to conclude that physical processes will have no effect on it, like death.

"and never will be" Seriously, Gordo? Is that prophecy or just more of your pre-suppositional bullshit?

We know that brain damaged people (100 % observed correspondence with EEG tracings, MRI scans, PET scans) vary in level of consciousness with the health and functions of brain structures and functions. In light of that, and never once observing consciousness arise from any other situation, there is not one shred of evidence to think that there is anything other than a physical explanation for consciousness. Are people who are deeply sedated, or under anesthesia "conscious" ? Facepalm
If consciousness were not reliant on physical brain processes, then we would observe that. Do we ever observe that ? Guess what ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-12-2014, 08:32 AM
(21-12-2014 01:45 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(21-12-2014 01:32 AM)xieulong Wrote:  Oh please, you are benefiting from the work of science and scientists every second of your life. Science, at the very least is infinitely more worthy of worship than any versions of the chistian god, including yours.

But it can't answer the most basic questions about life. What we have learned about the natural world, and how we have applied it, has made life only a little better. I say only a little because for every technological advance, we have almost as much suffering as we do benefit. And science is limited in what it can do.

We are at the end of science. There will be more technology as a result of what we already know, but even that will begin to come to a halt (e.g., you can only make a cell phone so small and then you can't use it anymore).

Yet another prophecy, Gordo? You are so full of shit that it's coming out your mouth.