Dreams do talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 03:21 AM
Dreams do talk
Back in my spiritual days I did a lot of dream reading (is that the correct word?).
Back then people always (yes 100%) told me that I was right with what I said.
After my deconversion I thought it was just wishful thinking and that all I did was some cold reading.
But honestly all I did was looking at it in psychoclogical way. What could this and that mean, what background does the person have and then go with what is most likely.
I was always right.

Now why do I think about this now?

Lately I think about my family and how they aren't a family to me. But I am not talking about it a lot normally. Only two days ago in the ranting corner I shared a bit of it.
This morning I woke up completely exhausted because the whole night in my dream I was running.
In my dream I wanted to fly to vacation (egypt) with my mother. I wanted to pack but we were late so all I did was throw random stuff into my suitcase. My mother already went to the airport and I couldn't find everything I would need. One of my brothers was staying around telling me what I have to pack.
Then my mother called me where I am, the plane will start in a few minutes. And I tried to reach her. I was running down the stairs, I was running around the house and the block and couldn't find her although she told me she would be there and get a taxi with me. So I called a taxi myself but it didn't come. And I called her again and asked her where exactly she is because I can't find her, and she told me she is right there (somewhere) so I kept running around trying to find her.

Very frustrating dream but as you may notice, it says a lot about my relationship to my mother. Also with one of my brothers (the one in the dream who told me what to pack), the other one was simply not present, no surprise.

Anyway that dream proofed very clearly that dreams do talk, they make things clear to us in a way we get it. At least this is how I see it. I have a theory that the dreams that we remember always mean something important. That the fact that we remember a dream means that we are supposed to figure out what our subconscience wants to tell us.

Does that sound freaky?
Experience taught me so, I have read many people's dreams and helped them figuring out things in their lifes that way. It helped those people, and my frustrating night last night and understanding the dream actually helped me, too.

opinions?

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 03:29 AM
RE: Dreams do talk
Our subconscious mind processes way more information from our lives than we have the ability to consciously process. Most of this we have no access to other than maybe a gut feeling about something etc. I see dreams as a glimpse of the workings of the subconscious. I don't think that there is any psychic power there. I sometimes see our subconscious as like a super sleuth, it has a lot more knowledge than us, we just have no access to it.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
03-04-2012, 03:36 AM
strange... cause I had a dream the other day about shooting my boss and taking over his company business...... O.o

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
03-04-2012, 03:45 AM
(03-04-2012 03:36 AM)ddrew Wrote:  strange... cause I had a dream the other day about shooting my boss and taking over his company business...... O.o
See, a wise subconscious indeed. Big Grin

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Eternal's post
03-04-2012, 04:59 AM
My thinking is much the same as Eternal's on this topic; unless of course I'm dreaming about my Gwynnies. In that case, don't wake me up. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
(03-04-2012 03:29 AM)Eternal Wrote:  I see dreams as a glimpse of the workings of the subconscious. I don't think that there is any psychic power there.
Didn't say there was anything psychic about it Smile

(03-04-2012 03:36 AM)ddrew Wrote:  strange... cause I had a dream the other day about shooting my boss and taking over his company business...... O.o
Oh how many times did we all want to do that Yes

04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I might be saying the same thing in other words. I'm not sure.

I think dreams are emotions you experience at daytime but you can't give them enough attention. During the night, they come back for further processing.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
04-04-2012, 02:14 PM
I feel like I dream about the things I purposely throw to the back of my mind in my normal life. Things that I repress on purpose. I don't think that the reason I am dreaming is because I am "supposed" to figure them out,or at least not in any spiritual or cosmicly predetermined sort of way -- but more like our minds just regurgitate things that are important in our lives-- or that have a big influence. Most of the time the things that I repress, are indeed precisely the things that actually DO need to be dealt with. Like your relationship with your mother for example. It may not be something that you want to think about on a daily basis and you may tell yourself you don't care about it.. but it is a big part of your past and therefore is influencial on who you are and how you may go about certain things. I have these weird dreams about beating myself-- or an apparition in my form beating or abusing me. I suppose it is because I feel like I'm not living up to my "potential".. or that I am the master of my own destiny and I'm epicly failing.. so its self abuse.. rambling here.. but hopefully you see what im saying

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
My dreams all involve exploring locations, filled with twisted mechanisms (puzzle chambers, giant mazes) and horrifying scenarios (death of people I know, seeing people trapped in a never-ending cycle of death). Sometimes the location is recurring, while now and then I enter a new location to explore, or that I explore another part of a previously explored location. My dreams are surreal nightmares of exploration, and even the dreams work against me. I practise lucid dreaming now and then, and I sometimes realise that I'm dreaming. The funny thing is that my dream world will stop any attempt of me warping reality, so my dreams control me in that sense.

The only parallel to the real world would be that I love learning new things and concepts. Maybe dreams are trying to tell us something, or it may be a bunch of mashed up memories, twisted and warped into a virtual reality.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I am not sure but I have never had a dream that did not mean something. Even when I was still a kid. I had some dreams that I still remember today and now, thinking back, I understand them quite clearly.
Nowadays I have completely different information to process, of course, so the dreams are different.

I aggree, dreams may often be about things that we kind of push away during day time.
But still, and I am really not talking spiritual here, if a dream is so intense that we still remember it after waking up and we still think about, it is kind of "hi there, your subsconscious speaking, do yourself a favour and think about this"
Know what I mean. Some things just have to be processed consciously, otherwise you get your mental issues.
For example, taking the dream I described about.
I have pushed the topic "family" away for a loooong time because it simply hurt too much.
Lately I had to think about it again, as I got disappointed again and started to realize some things. I did not talk about it but then I had this dream...
Now it's one week later. I thought about the dream and the whole family topic and went through some rought days and tears and rants etc but now I feel much better.
If my dream wouldn't have kinda poked me to think about it I would still feel crappy like hell, but I actually feel like a weight has been lifted. It is great and I am happy that I listened to myself. (sounds weird)