Dreams (like in sleeping)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 02:09 AM
RE: Dreams (like in sleeping)
When I was little I watched the gummibears cartoon on TV (was like 5years old). The next night I dreaemed that the mother of the Gummibears was chasing me down a hollow tree stump with a rolling pin. o.O

And I do not aggree that trying to make sense of some dreams is all BS. It's not. Most of the time when I remember a dream it actually is something true. Let's say that during the day I found out I have to do something that i don't like and during the night I dream of doing this thing and failing. That is a direct connection between dayly live and dream. Sure it is bullshit to go ahead and interpret like every little detail like "fire means xyz" and the dark room means "zyx"... No woo woo, but if you do some psychology on this, you would be surprised how accurate your dreams mirror your live. Not alaways of course... just saying pinky and the brain and gummibears. But a lot of times. So don't just dismiss this as general BS, it's not.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:Not alaways of course... just saying pinky and the brain

You really don't see it do you?
lol. I'll give you a clue. ..............................................................................an​d look down.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-09-2012, 03:30 AM
(21-09-2012 02:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Not alaways of course... just saying pinky and the brain

You really don't see it do you?
lol. I'll give you a clue. ..............................................................................an​d look down.
hm... down.... feet.... carpet.... dog hair.... hmmmm

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
21-09-2012, 04:12 AM
(21-09-2012 03:30 AM)Leela Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 02:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You really don't see it do you?
hm... down.... feet.... carpet.... dog hair.... hmmmm

*facepalm*

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-09-2012, 07:10 AM
(21-09-2012 02:09 AM)Leela Wrote:  When I was little I watched the gummibears cartoon on TV (was like 5years old). The next night I dreaemed that the mother of the Gummibears was chasing me down a hollow tree stump with a rolling pin. o.O

And I do not aggree that trying to make sense of some dreams is all BS. It's not. Most of the time when I remember a dream it actually is something true. Let's say that during the day I found out I have to do something that i don't like and during the night I dream of doing this thing and failing. That is a direct connection between dayly live and dream. Sure it is bullshit to go ahead and interpret like every little detail like "fire means xyz" and the dark room means "zyx"... No woo woo, but if you do some psychology on this, you would be surprised how accurate your dreams mirror your live. Not alaways of course... just saying pinky and the brain and gummibears. But a lot of times. So don't just dismiss this as general BS, it's not.

I am not saying that trying to make sense of dreams is BS, but interpreting them to mean something that gives us knowledge we didn't already have is BS.

There is no symbolism in dreams to interpret. Dreams don't take our minds anywhere.
It appears we dream to integrate memories and possibly to 'try out' solutions to problems.
More research to be done - but throw away 'dream interpretation' books.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-09-2012, 07:24 AM
When you have traumatic experiences you sometimes re-live them over and over in your dreams until you are done digesting the thing.

Happened to me with 3 things, the first was when I was in my early 20s and was in a horrific car accident as a passenger. I walked away from it and everyone else survived with injuries that healed ok. I was in shock though, I saw it coming and couldn't do anything about it being in the back seat. That triggered a series of dreams that just replayed the event in detail until I caught my bearings a few days later.

Second time was when I was with my mom when she died and the surrounding circumstances were extremely stressful. I dreamt about the entire sequence of events for a couple of months. Just exactly everything that happened, no more and no less.

Third time was when my husband died and I sat through it with him by myself. That was more traumatic then the previous two added together. I just recently quit dreaming about it and it's been 9 months.

So it's quite clear that your brain continues to process life events when you sleep. And that's a really good thing, it gives your brain the time to deal with current events during the day while it mops up unfinished business at night.

To me, of all the phenomenon and research items out there, the brain is the most interesting. It is the center of everything we do and yet we know so little about it. And it most certainly doesn't stop working at night.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
21-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I had this hostage taking one, a stupid one, really. It plagued me when I was a kid. Recurring dream as it was, I'd strategized a way to get out of it. Impatience and all, but it finally came, and I remembered to do what I needed to do and did it and never had the dream again.

...at least I don't remember, if I did.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post