Dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
RE: Dreams
(05-12-2011 01:52 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I've been lucid dreaming since my mid-teens, I was actually trying to have an out of body experience at the time. I was reading some new age books and I was really into meditation, then I finally thought I had succeeded when I found myself fully concious floating over my sleeping body, My first thought was "oh crap I just killed myself!" Then woke up and I eventually realised that I was just having lucid dreams.

After I started having lucid dreams I soon stopped having nightmares because I would just walk up to any monsters (or whatever) and tell it to go away because I had the power to destroy it, and they usually would disappear or turn into something else like a bunny or something none threatening.

One thing I have come to think about is this question theists always ask about how athiests can be moral. And when I think about my dreaming, when I am fully in control of my dreams I have never had the urge to do anything immoral. I 've never dreamt of raping someone, or murder or anything like that. I'm just not interested in trying it.

My first response was man you fricking lost your mind!

Then the atheist kicks in. Stuff is bad joss, lucid dreaming; I do not recommend it.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 10:50 AM by itsFerdinand.)
My dreams are quite colorful, but dark and just.... weird to the point that I honestly don't understand. Filled with familiar faces that I know for a fact I've never once come across in person, but the still hold that familiarity to them. I feel as if my brain is self-creating characters fit to my liking and disliking; all refelcting something of myself or my values or interests; and replaying scenes like in a movie in my head, while I sleep.~
05-12-2011, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 09:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-12-2011 01:52 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I've been lucid dreaming since my mid-teens, ...

What did you do to acquire this skill? I've been able to do it but only with the help of pharmaceuticals (but not the ones you might expect, Chantix while I was quitting the nicotine and Seroquel for sleep).

(05-12-2011 09:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My first response was man you fricking lost your mind!

Then the atheist kicks in. Stuff is bad joss, lucid dreaming; I do not recommend it.

Bah, quit being such a pussy. I ain't no fucking Jared Lee Loughner. In your words, "Don't worry, I'm a professional." Wink

Here's the video they seem to think heavily influenced Jared Lee Loughner, but when I watch it all I see is some very basic metaphysics and psychology expressed in a highly artistic and creative way which I enjoyed very much. I mean it was Kafkaesque but it ain't gonna push no rational mind over the edge. And neither will lucid dreaming. Wink

The Waking Life

[video=googlevideo]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7583894250854515095#[/video]

Now if you already got some "troubles", well that might be a different story.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
(05-12-2011 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bah, quit being such a pussy. I ain't no fucking Jared Lee Loughner. In your words, "Don't worry, I'm a professional." Wink

I did mention the atheist took over? Been more Setian as of late, warning remains; it is not censure. You know this. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I really like my dreams. Most of the time I am flying or it's something sexual. Never really experienced lucid dreaming, altought a few times I was aware that I was dreaming, I just couldn't control it (any tips on how can I do this?).
I've even experienced a sleep paralysis recently, which was the second time in my whole life. Fortunately, I was informed enough to not think of it as of "devil sitting on my chest" as people often do ; x Quite a funny feeling.
06-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't like 'em. I like to go to bed and end. Wake up and begin. That stuff in the middle is the stupid brain reprocessing information and spinning up imagery because this stupid human ate the whole pizza before going to bed.

I used to dream about Gwyneth... that girl. It's bad enough she owns me in the daytime. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
(06-12-2011 07:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't like 'em. I like to go to bed and end. Wake up and begin.

That's not sleeping, brother. That's practicing. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-12-2011, 02:16 AM
(05-12-2011 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 01:52 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I've been lucid dreaming since my mid-teens, ...

What did you do to acquire this skill? I've been able to do it but only with the help of pharmaceuticals (but not the ones you might expect, Chantix while I was quitting the nicotine and Seroquel for sleep).

While many different methods work as the whole experience is subjective, the most common one is called the Dream Induced Lucid Dreaming (DILD(no O at the end, goddamnit)). You can do it by basically starting to record the night's dreams in a journal right when you get up. Look for recurring themes in these dreams; for example, you might dream of getting stuck in traffic a lot. Figure out what these are, and then whenever you see one of your signs, do a reality check. For example, in many people's dreams, they can push their finger through their palm or pinch their nose and still breathe. Just do stuff to honestly test whether it's a dream or not when you encounter a sign. This is just what worked for me. It seems to mostly be your attitude. If you actually think you can do it, you probably can. It's all in your head. lol those last three sentences can pretty accurately describe religion.

I really don't know that much about it; this is just how I did it. I got the idea from a site called DreamViews.

I used to try this method and actually got them fairly consistently, but I had trouble controlling them and staying lucid. I've kinda lapsed in trying to get them, but I think I'll try again. It's pretty fun. Cool
[+] 3 users Like Atheist's post
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
(10-12-2011 02:16 AM)Atheist Wrote:  I got the idea from a site called DreamViews.

Thanks for the link. I'm too undisciplined to take the journal approach but I'm gonna peruse that site for alternatives.

11-12-2011, 04:24 AM
(05-12-2011 09:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

At first I read some meditation techniques from some new age books by Robert Monroe. I think they were called "Far journeys" & "journeys out of the body". (I was after all originally trying to have an out of body experience). But I found myself mostly just falling asleep.

But the easest thing in the begining was to get some way of waking up about half way through a normal sleep. So I tried things like drinking too much water before I would go to bed so that I would have to get up at 3am or so to go to the bathroom, or set my alarm for 3am, the key was to be concious but still sleepy and write down in a journal (that I kept near my bed) anything I could remember about any dreams that I just had. Then I would lay back down and try and keep my mind focused on the type of dream I wanted to have as I would slowly drift back to sleep. It was pretty hit or miss in the beginning but the longer I did it the more successful I got. Now 20 or so years later it just happens naturally without much effort or forcing myself to wake up at 3am or anything.