Dregs from Chaos?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Dregs from Chaos?
From an existential point of view,the known Universe, pre big bang, came into being about 17 billion years ago.Anyway thats what many scientists tell us.
Over this duration there appears to have been considerable chaos ,with sentient life coming into the picture much later.
In accordance with Darwinian theory our evolution has been a perpetually painful experience and quite chaotic given the great time span and losses inherent within the theory. If we look to the oceans and the land, pre homo sapiens, we observe killing fields, suffering, and a meaniingless effort to survive. We have all seen movies relating to the long defunct predatory dinosaurs. Hardly the best of all possible worlds.
Evolution, unless you are of Adam's family, merged through Neanderthal and other species finally culminating in homo sapiens; blood,claw, fang, and much misery being the over riding factors. Was all this planned by a benificent god or was it chaos providing glimpses of sanity?
Let us move rapidly to the 21st century and again consider the notion of chaos.
In doing this we need to observe the 6.8 billlion inhabitants of this planet and not the relevantly minor portion of "happy people".
Some of the suffering of this world include angst, depression, acute pain, nausea,
fear,starvation, thirst, itchiness, dread,alienation,insanity, dementia and more.
On the credit side there are various forms of creativty, family (in some instances) sex,culinary delights, fashion, devotion to the mega stars of all persuasions and little else. It is an interesting exercise to weigh the possible intensities of the first group against the possible intensities of the second group ,remembering we are concerned here with vast majorities, not withstanding the fact that even the best placed do not remain immune to life's miseries.
Dregs isn't a very nice word;some of the cream rises, in some instances, to the top.
In the very few issues I have raised I must say I find the word 'chaos, far more applicable, as a generalization, to the concept of 'Divine Guidance': this is based on both the huge duration of time, intensity of suffering as opposed to pleasure, and the immence anomalies in how suffering is meted out.
I do not believe the theodicies devised to get God off the celestial hook are in any way adequute.Rolleyes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2011, 12:07 AM
RE: Dregs from Chaos?
(16-08-2011 06:26 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  From an existential point of view,the known Universe, pre big bang, came into being about 17 billion years ago.Anyway thats what many scientists tell us.
Over this duration there appears to have been considerable chaos ,with sentient life coming into the picture much later.
In accordance with Darwinian theory our evolution has been a perpetually painful experience and quite chaotic given the great time span and losses inherent within the theory. If we look to the oceans and the land, pre homo sapiens, we observe killing fields, suffering, and a meaniingless effort to survive. We have all seen movies relating to the long defunct predatory dinosaurs. Hardly the best of all possible worlds.
Evolution, unless you are of Adam's family, merged through Neanderthal and other species finally culminating in homo sapiens; blood,claw, fang, and much misery being the over riding factors. Was all this planned by a benificent god or was it chaos providing glimpses of sanity?
Let us move rapidly to the 21st century and again consider the notion of chaos.
In doing this we need to observe the 6.8 billlion inhabitants of this planet and not the relevantly minor portion of "happy people".
Some of the suffering of this world include angst, depression, acute pain, nausea,
fear,starvation, thirst, itchiness, dread,alienation,insanity, dementia and more.
On the credit side there are various forms of creativty, family (in some instances) sex,culinary delights, fashion, devotion to the mega stars of all persuasions and little else. It is an interesting exercise to weigh the possible intensities of the first group against the possible intensities of the second group ,remembering we are concerned here with vast majorities, not withstanding the fact that even the best placed do not remain immune to life's miseries.
Dregs isn't a very nice word;some of the cream rises, in some instances, to the top.
In the very few issues I have raised I must say I find the word 'chaos, far more applicable, as a generalization, to the concept of 'Divine Guidance': this is based on both the huge duration of time, intensity of suffering as opposed to pleasure, and the immence anomalies in how suffering is meted out.
I do not believe the theodicies devised to get God off the celestial hook are in any way adequute.Rolleyes

Mate....I like this post and agree with nearly everything you've written. Chaos is far more realistic than divine guidance.

I wonder about "and not the relevantly minor portion of "happy people"."
It is almost impossible to measure happiness. It is also very difficult to define it.
My gut feeling, however, is that you're being a little pessimistic. I think most people that I come in contact with are "happy"

I would say the happiest people, on the whole, are young children....probably because they don't believe their own bullshit yet LOL. What does everyone else think?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply