Dressing nice for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Dressing nice for God
I'm curious as to the mindset behind putting on your Sunday best for church. The obvious non-thinking response is "well I want to look my best to show some respect towards the Lord." But when you think about it, "looking good" is a completely subjective state. Arranging your hair in a manner that currently trending and wearing clothes of the modern fashion type are arbitrary ceremonies that we do between ourselves. God wouldn't care that your pants are pressed any more than he cared that you wore bell bottoms to church in the 70's.

If anything, it's the opposite of how you should go to church. Jesus embraced the humble, the poor, the needy. You should go to church looking haggard and submissive. Not wearing riches and putting on a smug expression because you're going to your cool Jesus club.

I wonder these things only because I work in a restaurant and every Sunday, old folks come to eat in their funeral attire and black folks come to eat wearing 3 foot Dr Seuss hats covered in glitter. Are they trying to get God's attention for his blessings. Making sure they can be seen from space?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 10:40 PM
RE: Dressing nice for God
In the giant Catholic church I grew up in, the fancy clothes weren't for God, they were for everyone else. The ones most concerned paraded up the center aisle to one of the front pews so the other 1000 people could take note.

Earlier though, I think my grandmother and grandfather dressed up for church because it was about the only time they left the farm for a dress-up type of occasion. Grandpa had his work overalls, his going to town overalls, and his church clothes. Grandma was really tall and sported fancy hats when she went to church, she was noticed since a hat put her well over six feet. Otherwise she was in clothes that made sense for someone helping out with the chores.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Earlier though, I think my grandmother and grandfather dressed up for church because it was about the only time they left the farm for a dress-up type of occasion. Grandpa had his work overalls, his going to town overalls, and his church clothes. Grandma was really tall and sported fancy hats when she went to church, she was noticed since a hat put her well over six feet. Otherwise she was in clothes that made sense for someone helping out with the chores.
[/quote]

This was my impression of the tradition when I was growing up. The Depression Era and farm era folks didn't have much but dressing up in their best was a way to honor God. The mindset isn't about fashion, it's about showing respect for the beloved deity.
But of course, if there was a deity, I doubt it would care much about what people wore.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Appropriate church attire would be 'chaps' as then you have easy access to crap all over the pews! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
30-04-2012, 11:18 PM

As an atheist, you have a problem with the way people dress for church? What depth.
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2012, 11:41 PM
(30-04-2012 11:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  As an atheist, you have a problem with the way people dress for church? What depth.

I'm sorry that as a theist, you hold atheists to unreachable standards wherein they must deliver a thoroughly researched symposium if they should ever hope to speak. There is no logic in church attire. You wear garish garbs to celebrate a man who advocated modesty and humility. And instead of offering your own opinion to aid the discussion as one does in a forum, you offered nothing but judgement.

Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself. And so I have judged you.

I hold truer to your moral guidelines than you do.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
01-05-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't think it's so much looking good for the invisible lie lie in the sky, I mean God, and more so looking good for the Jone's. It's the same reason university students put on their most slutty clothing on Saturday nights, it's a persona and sorta expected.

They do it to fit in in other words.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-05-2012, 12:52 AM
I was under the assumption that God was omniscient... wouldn't nudity be entirely appropriate? Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
01-05-2012, 02:43 AM
I tried that same bit with my parents when they forced be to attend weekly bowing and chanting rituals. They responded by smacking me upside the head and telling me to put my pants on.

At one of these weekly services, our pastor told a heartwarming joke about this poor family who wouldn't attend church because they didn't have any nice clothes. The church pooled their resources together and bought proper attire for this family. The pastor then asked them to come to church the next week. When they didn't, he asked them the day after why they didn't come. They said that the clothes were so nice, they went to the more prestigious megachurch.

I suppose the underlying message was supposed to show the charitableness of the church members. But why should any followers of Jesus - the poor leader of the poor - ever feel unwelcomed for not having proper attire? When has the church become a place of prestige as opposed to humility?
01-05-2012, 05:34 AM
(30-04-2012 10:40 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In the giant Catholic church I grew up in, the fancy clothes weren't for God, they were for everyone else.

That. It's the only time I get to rock my cool feather hat since my work told me I couldn't dress up again without a note from my shrink.

[Image: n1365356463_256977_1397.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post