RE: Dressing nice for God
God damn that's scary...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Go to Italy and check out the tomb of one of their patron saints, Francis de Assisi. A man who lived his life poor in order to properly worship god, whose legacy is remembered by gold inlaid monuments and now even 3D displays. The catholics were the first larg gathering of christians and many raditions no matter the denomination spawn from them. It is very true that church is the most important social occasion for many of it's followers though. These two factors make up what's so important about your sunday best.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
01-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Hmmm...

There is a costume store just down the road.. I wonder how far you could push before they refused entry??

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I wear my best g-string for god.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
01-05-2012, 09:23 AM
(01-05-2012 07:57 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I wear my best g-string for god.
Yes, we know, Frankie...I found a picture of you one the interwebz:

[Image: Kilt.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
01-05-2012, 09:43 AM
This is a fairly petty grievance, but it does originate from wanting to show respect to God and honoring the Sabbath.

Much like the story of Cain and Abel's offering to God, Christians want to honor God by offering Him the best. Now, it is a bit superficial (okay very superficial); however, Christians want to honor God on the day that is observed as the Sabbath. They want to give him the best they can as well as show him respect.

On a more society based trend, we dress in "dress" attire when we want to impress, be taken seriously, as well as show and give respect. This is also part of it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-05-2012, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 10:28 AM by mysticjbyrd.)
(30-04-2012 10:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm curious as to the mindset behind putting on your Sunday best for church. The obvious non-thinking response is "well I want to look my best to show some respect towards the Lord." But when you think about it, "looking good" is a completely subjective state. Arranging your hair in a manner that currently trending and wearing clothes of the modern fashion type are arbitrary ceremonies that we do between ourselves. God wouldn't care that your pants are pressed any more than he cared that you wore bell bottoms to church in the 70's.

If anything, it's the opposite of how you should go to church. Jesus embraced the humble, the poor, the needy. You should go to church looking haggard and submissive. Not wearing riches and putting on a smug expression because you're going to your cool Jesus club.

I wonder these things only because I work in a restaurant and every Sunday, old folks come to eat in their funeral attire and black folks come to eat wearing 3 foot Dr Seuss hats covered in glitter. Are they trying to get God's attention for his blessings. Making sure they can be seen from space?
Its not for god, its for that desperate housewife in the 3rd pew on the right.
Women like it when you dress well.

The church is like a dating service. Keep it in the religion, ya know.
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM
(30-04-2012 10:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm curious as to the mindset behind putting on your Sunday best for church. The obvious non-thinking response is "well I want to look my best to show some respect towards the Lord." But when you think about it, "looking good" is a completely subjective state. Arranging your hair in a manner that currently trending and wearing clothes of the modern fashion type are arbitrary ceremonies that we do between ourselves. God wouldn't care that your pants are pressed any more than he cared that you wore bell bottoms to church in the 70's.

If anything, it's the opposite of how you should go to church. Jesus embraced the humble, the poor, the needy. You should go to church looking haggard and submissive. Not wearing riches and putting on a smug expression because you're going to your cool Jesus club.

I wonder these things only because I work in a restaurant and every Sunday, old folks come to eat in their funeral attire and black folks come to eat wearing 3 foot Dr Seuss hats covered in glitter. Are they trying to get God's attention for his blessings. Making sure they can be seen from space?
Actually did a lot of contemplating about this. The real issue here.....as much as I do not like to say it, is that a lot of the Bible seems to be picked and chosen in terms of belief.

I will not subject anyone here to biblical text. However, I will say this much. There is nothing that I have seen in the Bible that promotes wearing one's best. In fact, there is some writing within in terms of dress that focuses primarily on humility.

To break it down:

Women were not to wear gaudy clothes or jewelry.

Yet...what is seen so much in churches today?

Flashy attire. Be it a nice skirt that reveals a lot of skin or flashy jewelry, it is not an uncommon practice today. The church to is a place where people are to go to worship and if one is to walk in their faith....that means doing so in a way that is not going to result in making another believer stumble.

Reflecting much on this....I have started a simple practice of first no longer wearing jewelry to church outside of my wedding band. Though I do like wearing dresses, I am trying to put an end to that too if the dresses show an excess of skin.

By no means, am I perfect...but trying to weed through a lot of what is practiced and what is written is showing more and more diverse differences.

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
[+] 1 user Likes AnotherSinner's post
01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
(01-05-2012 09:43 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is a fairly petty grievance, but it does originate from wanting to show respect to God and honoring the Sabbath.

Much like the story of Cain and Abel's offering to God, Christians want to honor God by offering Him the best. Now, it is a bit superficial (okay very superficial); however, Christians want to honor God on the day that is observed as the Sabbath. They want to give him the best they can as well as show him respect.

On a more society based trend, we dress in "dress" attire when we want to impress, be taken seriously, as well as show and give respect. This is also part of it.
If they wish to honor god, who is all-knowing and all-seeing, shouldn't they dress in their finery all the time?

If they wish to honor the sabbath, should they not stay dressed in their finery for the whole day? Or stay at church for the full 24 hours?

[Good grief - there goes all things football.......]

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Legacy of the social event that is Sunday worship.
They dress for the others present.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.