Dressing nice for God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
RE: Dressing nice for God
I normally found the dress in churches to be hypocritical, or just outright stupid. As my family (the religious ones even!) have said: you don't dress up for god or for yourself--you dress up to make others think you've got a lot of money and are worthy of them being envious of you. I found that funny as it appears to break at least one of the ten commandments (probably more if you've got some sexy man/woman there "just asking to be lusted after").

Of course the churches I had to attend had people saying things like:
- I can't believe s/he showed up wearing that!
- can you imagine even wearing that?
- etc

But if you dressed up too nice, they'd complain. So you had to dress up just as nice as those you'd have no idea what they'd wear, and not less or more so. I think I even asked once, why would god care what we wear, he's seen us naked? Of course it was at a time where I didn't really care to let it known I didn't buy into it too.

Now, I think many of the churches around me have a "casual" (i.e. wear shorts, if you don't you look out of place) services.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
As I said, pretty much just bleed overs from catholocism which just plain breathes sin (the christian concept). There is almost nothing about the group you can't feel horribly opposes it's own doctrine. Remembr that while the catholics are the most gregarious the other groups don't want to be too outdone. Gotta keep up with the Jones's

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-05-2012, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 06:14 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-05-2012 10:26 AM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  
(30-04-2012 10:30 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I'm curious as to the mindset behind putting on your Sunday best for church. ... If anything, it's the opposite of how you should go to church. Jesus embraced the humble, the poor, the needy. You should go to church looking haggard and submissive. Not wearing riches and putting on a smug expression because you're going to your cool Jesus club.
Actually did a lot of contemplating about this. The real issue here.....as much as I do not like to say it, is that a lot of the Bible seems to be picked and chosen in terms of belief.

This is news to you Sinner? Because that's precisely what every Christian sect does. You should check out the sect of Bob if you really want to be saved. The sect of Bob says if you really can't help but feel the need to be saved, you better know how to be your own personal Jesus, 'cause there ain't nobody else can save your sorry ass, ain't no one else even capable. ... Hell, ain't nobody else to even care.

(01-05-2012 09:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 07:57 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I wear my best g-string for god.
Yes, we know, Frankie...I found a picture of you one the interwebz:

[Image: Kilt.jpg]

Fraser Clan Fundoshi!!!!

Now I'm ready to make some haggis out of that Englishman Hughsie. ... Hell, I think frankiej's an Englishman, too. ... I'm gonna start a fucking Englishmen haggis mail order business.

[Image: sumo-wrestlers--large-msg-130029885004.jpg]

Thanks, Erx.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I need to start keeping a barf bag handy....

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I think Frankie is of the Scotch.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-05-2012, 07:20 AM
(01-05-2012 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hell, I think frankiej's an Englishman, too. ...
I most definitely am not. Don't suggest such disgusting things. I'm Scottish.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
02-05-2012, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 08:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(02-05-2012 07:20 AM)frankiej Wrote:  
(01-05-2012 05:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hell, I think frankiej's an Englishman, too. ...
I most definitely am not. Don't suggest such disgusting things. I'm Scottish.

Sorry, brother. My bad. Now let's go make some haggis out of Hughsie. Drooling ... Assuming you ain't of the Clan Donald, that is. 'Cause if you are then I'm gonna make haggis out of you too and sell it at a premium. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
(02-05-2012 08:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 07:20 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I most definitely am not. Don't suggest such disgusting things. I'm Scottish.

Sorry, brother. My bad. Now let's go make some haggis out of Hughsie. Drooling ... Assuming you ain't of the Clan Donald, that is. 'Cause if you are then I'm gonna make haggis out of you too and sell it at a premium. Smile
There can be only one.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post