Drich, Answers to my questions
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2014, 03:31 AM
RE: Drich, Answers to my questions
Which is more important when deciding whether to believe something, personal experience or knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources?
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2014, 06:53 AM
(17-03-2014 03:31 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Which is more important when deciding whether to believe something, personal experience or knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources?

It completely depends on the source, the claim and the experience.

Even with something like graviety, if your experience of it does not match the claim (what science says) then wouldn't you believe that 'science' may not have a complete understanding of it?

Truly think about that for a moment. 'We' have been cataloging expermenting for what 300/400 years? Now, How old is the universe? Is it your 'belief/faith' that science knows all their is to know about everything it stakes a claim on? How can science speak definitivly about anything given our single point of reference in time and space? That would be like looking at a single 2D ground level pic of NYC and then build an accurate street map of the whole city.

But, because you believe in the absolutes of sceintific theory and believe that the scientific process can be used to identify and quantify everything in the cosmos, from a single point in time and space, you and those like you are children of faith... Faith in scientific fact, but even so it is still a faith. Faith in the your current version/Current theories are indeed truth.

So to answer your question again which process is more important when deciding truth? None of the above. to say one process trumps another each and every time is akin ti turning one's mind off and either letting the outside source do all of one's thinking for them, or closing one's mind to anything one does not currently understand. Understanding should take ALL avaiable inputs, evaluate them and then make a desision.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
17-03-2014, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 07:32 AM by Mathilda.)
How do we determine the relative importance of a personal experience versus knowledge & understanding obtained from other sources regarding it?

What do we do if the personal experience does not agree with knowledge & understanding obtained from other sources?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
17-03-2014, 09:31 AM
(17-03-2014 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  How do we determine the relative importance of a personal experience versus knowledge & understanding obtained from other sources regarding it?
we scrutinize both, till truth can be determined, or we lable it as an unknown. we Most certainly do not just default to one perscribe thought process because of a conflict. That is small minded thinking.

Quote:What do we do if the personal experience does not agree with knowledge & understanding obtained from other sources?
Oh, you mean how like Nazi propaganda protrayed the Jewish people as a plague of human roaches on the German people, and personal interaction with Jewish families prompted some German families to hide their neighbors from "Knoweledge and understanding obtained from other sources."

In instances like that I would ignore "Knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources" and go with what I know to be true.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
17-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I asked in post 111

"Which is more important when deciding whether to believe something, personal experience or knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources?"

You replied in post 112

"It completely depends on the source, the claim and the experience."

And in post 114 using your example of Jewish persecution you say

"In instances like that I would ignore "Knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources" and go with what I know to be true. "

Are you saying then that when deciding what to believe, we should always choose personal experience over knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources when the two do not agree?
17-03-2014, 11:04 AM
(17-03-2014 10:01 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I asked in post 111

"Which is more important when deciding whether to believe something, personal experience or knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources?"

You replied in post 112

"It completely depends on the source, the claim and the experience."

And in post 114 using your example of Jewish persecution you say

"In instances like that I would ignore "Knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources" and go with what I know to be true. "

Are you saying then that when deciding what to believe, we should always choose personal experience over knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources when the two do not agree?

You answer can be found in post 114 first sentence.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

17-03-2014, 11:28 AM
The first line of post 114, you say that "we scrutinize both, till truth can be determined, or we lable it as an unknown".

In such a situation (where personal experience does not concur with knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources), if further scrutinization results in the two choices in what to believe differing even more, should we just label the correct choice as unknown?

If not, how do we then make a choice about what to believe in?
17-03-2014, 11:54 AM
(17-03-2014 11:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The first line of post 114, you say that "we scrutinize both, till truth can be determined, or we lable it as an unknown".

In such a situation (where personal experience does not concur with knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources), if further scrutinization results in the two choices in what to believe differing even more, should we just label the correct choice as unknown?

If not, how do we then make a choice about what to believe in?
Again your looking for a broad brush solution for a delima that should be scrutnized on a case by case basis.

When ever one looks to 'lock in' one's thought process to not allow for any variables, one ultimatly closes their mind to new information that has not already been established, or they close their mind to anything they can not comprehend on their own.

The answer I have now given you at least 3 different times, is that we should try and make a determination on a case by case basis, or we should approach the situation as an unknown with an open mind, rather than speak in absolutes with a closed mind.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

18-03-2014, 02:14 AM
In the situation where your own personal experience differs from knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources, what would convince you that the conclusion resulting from your own personal experience was wrong?

(e.g. being able to understand the knowledge yourself or that it comes from an authority etc)
18-03-2014, 05:34 AM
(18-03-2014 02:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  In the situation where your own personal experience differs from knowledge and understanding obtained from other sources, what would convince you that the conclusion resulting from your own personal experience was wrong?

(e.g. being able to understand the knowledge yourself or that it comes from an authority etc)

Truth.

I follow truth where ever it may lead.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

Thread Closed