Drone enthusiast?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Drone enthusiast?
Are there any Drone enthusiasts here? I am looking at purchasing one, they look like fun. I want one with a camera of course, good for spying in the forest. Angel

Any recommendations, videos or opinions?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
19-02-2015, 05:55 AM
RE: Drone enthusiast?
"Drone" is kinda a misnomer -- like "assault rifle"...

It doesn't really tell you much.

I've been building and flying radio controlled airplanes and helicopters for over 25 years. They're quite a bit easier these days.

A couple of things you need to know.

1. The legalities - you're required to keep the rpv (remote piloted vehicle) in visual contact with the pilot at all times. You're not allowed to fly within 2 miles of an airport or AMA sanctioned airfield. (where they fly RC airplanes). Altitude must be kept under 500 feet. AMA allows up to 42 lbs (last time I checked) fueled and ready to fly. (I have flown stuff nearly that big).

2. The practicalities - If you're looking for high resolution video - take out a bank loan. The new gear is much improved over the stuff I've used in the past (where you had to have someone with a directional antenna pointed at the aircraft to receive the video downlink.) The power requirements for video are much less than they used to be. Flying these units is a lot easier than flying the stuff I learned on - which had no stabilizing gyros. The new stuff is remarkably easy to fly - BUT - it still takes a lot of practice to get truly proficient. A small unit (something under 24 inch across) will be hard to fly at ranges at 100 yards or so, without a great deal of experience. I did fly extreme high performance (250 mph and up) on aircraft of only 32 inch wingspan - out to close to 1/4 mile away - but it takes a great deal of skill and practice (I wouldn't try it now, as I haven't flown one in a couple years)

Bottom line -- it's not as easy as they make it look on TV.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Awesome topic! I have set my mind on doing an RC submarine. I can't right now, but I can't wait. Big Grin onlinebiker, if you have any suggestions for that too, I'd appreciate it.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
19-02-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm rather passionate about them, it's like my favorite hobby I don't actually partake in (because I've always been too poor). They're not as expensive as people think (to build that is) or that hard for that matter.
Flying the quad copters takes a bit of practice (I hear) because pressing forward on the controls might not mean it goes "forward" but rather backwards towards you because it's spun around and now its forwards is your backwards (if that makes sense) though that's why you have 1 side (the front) painted a different colour so you can tell what's forward and what's backwards. They can also flip.

Just takes practice though but when you do get the hang of it don't let strangers have a go because they're idiots and will break it (because it's hard to fly and they will ultimately fail).

[Image: oscar.png]
19-02-2015, 06:34 AM
(19-02-2015 06:26 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Awesome topic! I have set my mind on doing an RC submarine. I can't right now, but I can't wait. Big Grin onlinebiker, if you have any suggestions for that too, I'd appreciate it.

I toyed with the idea of a sub for a while - as a technical challenge.

At the time 72 mhz FM/PCM 100 milliwatt was the radio standard - and my experiments (rudimentary) showed that the radio signals do not penetrated very deep into water - a few feet at best. If you were standing on shore - the depth would be considerably less - because of the angle through the water.
Solution -- A fiberglass or carbon fiber "periscope" containing the antenna. Using a PCM radio - you could pre-program the "Loss of signal" state to blow ballast, up dive planes and cut prop speed to low --- so if you did have a loss of signal, your sub would "self surface". If you wanted to try operating without a water ballast system, it would be simpler - but what's the fun in that??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-02-2015, 06:41 AM
(19-02-2015 06:28 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm rather passionate about them, it's like my favorite hobby I don't actually partake in (because I've always been too poor). They're not as expensive as people think (to build that is) or that hard for that matter.
Flying the quad copters takes a bit of practice (I hear) because pressing forward on the controls might not mean it goes "forward" but rather backwards towards you because it's spun around and now its forwards is your backwards (if that makes sense) though that's why you have 1 side (the front) painted a different colour so you can tell what's forward and what's backwards. They can also flip.

Just takes practice though but when you do get the hang of it don't let strangers have a go because they're idiots and will break it (because it's hard to fly and they will ultimately fail).

It is harder than it looks, eh??

I used to teach new pilots on fixed wing, glow fueled airplanes. I once had a "student" who simply wanted me to take the plane up, trim it in and land it -- then he would "fly it himself" -- having never done it.

I taught myself to fly - so I knew what was coming - and told him "You'll take off, climb out - make one 180 degree turn - and then the next turn - you'll plow it straight into the ground." It's what happens when the visual signals you see, seem "reversed" of what you expect the controls to do.

He told me -- "I've been driving r/c cars for YEARS -- and this will be easier - There's nothing to hit up there!" No

I laughed -- took his plane up - trimmed it in - and proceeded to wring it out - with a series of aerobatics. Then landed it, and handed the controller off to him.

Take a guess what happened.....

He insisted the "radio had failed"....

Yeah... sure it did....

heh

19-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Yes, I had thought about the self-surface system in case of loss of signal, batteries go out, etc. Big Grin

The thing I still need to understand is how to make a proper surface/diving system. Like, diving is easy, you just have the submarine get water to decrease buoyancy. But what do you do to surface again? I was thinking of a compressor pumping air from the inside of the submarine (maybe getting the air from some reserve tanks) so that it pushes the water out. And then refill these tanks when it has surfaced.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
19-02-2015, 08:22 AM
(19-02-2015 06:44 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Yes, I had thought about the self-surface system in case of loss of signal, batteries go out, etc. Big Grin

The thing I still need to understand is how to make a proper surface/diving system. Like, diving is easy, you just have the submarine get water to decrease buoyancy. But what do you do to surface again? I was thinking of a compressor pumping air from the inside of the submarine (maybe getting the air from some reserve tanks) so that it pushes the water out. And then refill these tanks when it has surfaced.

The best way would be using an air tank and a solenoid. If you use a single water ballast tank - you have to keep it small and on center of the sub - or "slosh" can cause serious stability (pitching) problems.

19-02-2015, 08:27 AM
keep in mind -- even a small sub is going to be heavy -- it must exceed water weight displacement to submerge -- 1 gallon water 8.3 lbs - 1 cu ft = 7.48 gallon == a tad over 62 lbs per cubic foot.

You'll need a trailer to get it to water....

19-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Yeah, well, I wasn't planning to make it small either. Muahaha! *evil laugh*

孤独 - The Out Crowd