Droning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 07:20 AM
Droning
Not the jabbering endlessly type.

The flying sort.

I've flown R/V airplanes and helicopters for over 20 years, and thought I'd go to the dark side and try something new.

I picked up an Ethos FPV quad copter. It's an electric powered four fixed blade machine that uses only speed controls to induce pitch, roll and yaw. No servos are used. It uses the single battery pack to run the motors and the video camera and video transmitter.

It also has a SD card slot, that allows it to store video or still shots, which you can select on/off from the flight controller. It's 720p 30fps color video - which looks pretty good on the big screen of our PC.

Cost - $230. at the local hobby shop.

It's been pretty windy the last few days, so I've been cautious with flying it. It seems to be very smooth, with good input authority even at low rate input.

About 15 years ago I had a friend who put together a helicopter with a video camera that transmitted video back. It used a commercial sized R/C chopper (Bergman Engineering) and cost almost $10,000... It didn't even have onboard video storage.

Go figure...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
19-04-2017, 07:31 AM
RE: Droning
If it shows up near my house, I'ma gonna shoot it down. Don't like snoops.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
19-04-2017, 07:49 AM
(19-04-2017 07:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  If it shows up near my house, I'ma gonna shoot it down. Don't like snoops.

I dunno.

The legal ramifications of such an act are likely to be very expensive.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-04-2017, 07:50 AM
(19-04-2017 07:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 07:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  If it shows up near my house, I'ma gonna shoot it down. Don't like snoops.

I dunno.

The legal ramifications of such an act are likely to be very expensive.

I don't care. My property, my airspace. No snooping allowed. Bring it on!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-04-2017, 07:55 AM
You do realize that legal precedence says that you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy outside your house, don' t you?

If a news helicopter flies 100 feet over your property, taking pictures - are you going to give them both barrels?

What if it's a police copter???

19-04-2017, 07:57 AM
(19-04-2017 07:49 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The legal ramifications of such an act are likely to be very expensive.

Not sure about the legal ramifications, but they're certainly not a one way street when you snoop out your neighbours.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
19-04-2017, 08:02 AM
A drone from a nosy neighbor is not a police helicopter.

Go fly your drone all you like - if it gets near my house it's coming down.

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-04-2017, 08:11 AM
(19-04-2017 08:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  A drone from a nosy neighbor is not a police helicopter.

And if it's a drone from the police?

Trust me - from 100 feet they all look the same.

And, your dislike of the technology isn't likely to make you exempt from any legal problems. For starters- destruction of private property. Shooting a firearm in town? that doesn't go over well.. Shooting into the air? Unless you own some real acreage, it's likely to be "reckless discharge of a firearm" - as your shot is going to come down somewhere....

If you own a lot of property - if your neighbor is flying legally - that is visually controlling the aircraft not using the video to "fly by wire" - you'll never have the problem.

If you shoot down a drone - unless you can prove it was a immediate threat to you or your property - plan on spending some time in a chair reserved for the defendant...

19-04-2017, 08:19 AM
(19-04-2017 08:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 08:02 AM)Dom Wrote:  A drone from a nosy neighbor is not a police helicopter.

And if it's a drone from the police?

And, your dislike of the technology isn't likely to make you exempt from any legal problems. For starters- destruction of private property. Shooting a firearm in town? that doesn't go over well.. Shooting into the air? Unless you own some real acreage, it's likely to be "reckless discharge of a firearm" - as your shot is going to come down somewhere....

If you own a lot of property - if your neighbor is flying legally - that is visually controlling the aircraft not using the video to "fly by wire" - you'll never have the problem.

If you shoot down a drone - unless you can prove it was a immediate threat to you or your property - plan on spending some time in a chair reserved for the defendant...

Who says I dislike technology?

I dislike snoopy neighbors.

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
19-04-2017, 08:21 AM
(19-04-2017 08:19 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 08:11 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if it's a drone from the police?

Who says I dislike technology?

I dislike snoopy neighbors.
Nobody likes 'em....

But, there are rules...