Dropping In To Say Hi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 09:21 PM by Pondering Pariah.)
Dropping In To Say Hi
Greetings everyone, I'm a relatively new atheist and for the past several weeks have been listening to podcast from The Thinking Atheist, The Atheist Experience and others. Looking back I've been on the path to atheism for 8 years now. I was once a born again, true believer, devout Christian. I was very active in the church and even taught 'children's church' on Sunday mornings. I wont go into the details of my story but in 2005 I lost my father in a very tragic way which started my questioning of my faith. Many events after led me farther and farther from Christianity. I looked into other religions and beliefs until 2013 in which I finally became comfortable in calling myself an atheist. I'm only open about my atheism to a few people at the moment due to many factors such as where I live, my family, and the such. So here I am, always learning, always questioning.

I am the thing that you don't understand... I
am the thing that you fear. I am the thing that you hate... I am the
thing you seek to destroy.

For what man doesn't understand he fears. and what man fears he hates.
And that which man hates he seeks to destroy...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Pondering Pariah's post
03-02-2013, 09:25 PM
RE: Dropping In To Say Hi
Hi Pondering Pariah, I'm glad you've stumbled on to the podcasts - hope they've helped you. We're pretty relaxed international bunch here - you can ask anyone anything you want. If you still feel somewhat shaky about coming out, you've come to the right place - you might gain some insight on how others have handled their coming out. We don't really care if you're out or not, we're just glad you're here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
03-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome Kim! I'm glad to be here. I'm not a stranger to forums but am glad to have found this one. It'll be nice to come to a place where I know there are like minded individuals. I live in Kentucky in a part that's quite narrow minded to say the least. There are a handful of people who know my lack of belief in a god and while I don't hide it on my facebook page I also don't have certain people added to it lol. Besides a few of my family members who would be shaken by the news my boyfriend's parents are a whole different story. Lately there's been a lot of badgering from them to go to church and its no fun to say the least. We dare not say what we believe, or dis believe because the repercussions at this time would be too great. None the less i'm glad to find a place to come share and learn Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Pondering Pariah's post
03-02-2013, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 09:46 PM by Anjele.)
Welcome!
Lots of different stories here, you are sure to read a few you can relate to. TTA podcasts are great.

There is also a list somewhere one here with all sorts of reading, podcasts, documentaries...I am forum-challenged, I am sure that someone will be kind enough to post the link.

A

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...umentaries

hope that works...lots of good stuff there

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Ha - Anj - I did a search for podcasts and I came up with one made by you!!

Near is the forum archivist - knows where all the cool shit is. I have no idea what I'm doing here. Sort of. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
03-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Haha, thanks Kim...I knew there was a list of all kinds of links and had to search a few times to find it.

I forgot about the podcast question...that was a while ago.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Welcome, PP Smile

Love the avatar!

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Hello.
Hi Guys nice to meet you all. I've been an atheist for over 3 three years ( seems like only a couple). I've listened to TTA by Podcast for a while but never joined. Took long enough I suppose. I have an account on YT of the same username though I admittedly haven't been to active with with it. I also have an account with Atheist Nexus under the name Vulpess. Feel a little lost for more words but I definitely am looking for some advice. Plan on talking about it later. Thanks.

Friede

Just an outsider looking inn.
04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to drop a line and say welcome Big Grin