Drowning in Skepticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Drowning in Skepticism
Sometimes we just have to move on.

Everyone is different and some people can stay stuck on the skeptic sites but I can't. It's always the same stories, it's always debunking lies, and it's always shit. It's emotionally heavy.

I spent about 4 months on ex-mormon sites and reading skeptic articles on Mormon doctrine and that was about enough, I found a better community on the Atheists sites.

I just feel that when one leaves a religion, it's time to just walk away and live life more fully. I don't even think myself as an ex-mormon or post mormon anymore. When people ask I just simply say "I don't believe in anything," "I'm agnostic at heart, but essentially atheist, "My religion is love. Love people for who they are and leave the earth better when you leave," or "I am a secular humanist."

I no longer want to associate myself with my mormon history. I will share freely my history, but upon initial contact I don't find it necessary.

But anyways, I'm rambling now. So here's my question to those on here who had come out of religion: "did you ever find yourself drowning in skepticism and even becoming very angry over reading such skeptic journals? did you just have to quit and just move one with your life and just leave it all behind for a while?"

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 12:09 AM
RE: Drowning in Skepticism
I'm probably going to be a little bit more of an activist at some point because of my personal experiences (which I'm not going into here).
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
11-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Well as Chas puts it so well in his signature, skepticism is an approach to claims. I am skeptical about everything, and yes it is exhausting. Silly things like facts and good arguments have ruined a lot of things for me Dodgy .

As for skepticism about religion, I usually rather enjoy it. I like learning about history and thinking about religion philosophically. When you imagine the world with a god and/or heaven and hell and all the rest very interesting arguments can be made. Its a wonderfully thought provoking concept purely as a philosophical exercise Huh . I have been an atheist sense I was about eleven and no one ever pressured me to convert before, so I don't have any hatred for religion at all. I don't really spoil for an argument with theists or anybody else. I do get tired of all the negativity thrown religions general direction. Not that this is without good reason or cause, I just don't always want to read about it because its brings me down.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
16-06-2014, 12:07 PM
I think it serves a purpose for some. In religion, it's sometimes very hard to divorce yourself from it. You may have come to the point where you reject the idea; however, the ideologies still exist. I know for me watching religion getting debunked helps me to adjust and not slip back into fantasy land.

On the other hand it can get really old. I guess it depends on you. You sound as though you have come to terms with it. I envy you for thatCool
[+] 1 user Likes Doubting Thomas's post
16-06-2014, 06:07 PM
I embrace it, sometimes I have to consciously step back to see the forest from the trees, but the picture you see of a world without woo is not something I would ever want to lose.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Many people are still stuck in the lies and still have warped perceptions of the world. I'd say I'm more on the activist side of atheism, mainly because I want to spread awareness about religions being untrue. I want to clear up the misconceptions religious people have about atheism and show them what it's really all about. If people hadn't been critical when discussing/debating with me back when I was religious, I don't think I'd ever have left the faith.

I don't think we should just "walk away", as there are still many people who need help breaking the religious chains that confine them from freedom. Live life happily is all I can say, but personally I find a hard time believing most religious people can be happy if they truly think about what they believe. That there's some slave master always watching you, always knowing what you think.... If they really assessed their claims, and the implications that go with them, they'd go crazy!

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Equal opportunity skepticism Chas 9 608 29-05-2014 07:08 PM
Last Post: gnostic130189
  What exactly is skepticism, really? Loki 17 665 03-03-2014 04:15 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  The trouble with skepticism.... evenheathen 54 1,541 19-09-2013 12:41 PM
Last Post: gall