Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2016, 12:33 PM
RE: Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)
(21-01-2016 11:57 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  You're using only one data point. If you're going to try to argue that an entire system is ineffective in the long term because of one data point, that's pathetic. Need more data to demonstrate that drugs are ineffective in the long-term.

I did not say that.
I called them "temporary symptom management". There is a difference.
But anyone who has to renew a prescription for years to address a chronic condition validates my point. Because if they cease taking the drug, the symptom recurs and amplifies... right??

The drug allows them to manage the symptom, on a day to day basis.
It does not solve the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm sure the medical field is very sorry that they don't have a one stop cure all pill for chronic diseases. Sometimes you just have to stay on a treatment in order to stay alive, because there is not yet a better alternative. I don't see the point of your complaint.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
21-01-2016, 01:33 PM
(21-01-2016 12:33 PM)coyote Wrote:  I did not say that.
But anyone who has to renew a prescription for years to address a chronic condition validates my point. Because if they cease taking the drug, the symptom recurs and amplifies... right??

I am on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. It's not much trouble, one pill. If I stop taking it the issue will come back, but not amplified.

The drug does solve the problem, it doesn't heal the faulty part.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
21-01-2016, 01:49 PM
(21-01-2016 12:33 PM)coyote Wrote:  I called them "temporary symptom management". There is a difference.
Yes, if you are taking medications for a chronic condition, and stop taking them, then the symptoms would almost certainly resume and most likely get worse.

What is your point?

(21-01-2016 12:33 PM)coyote Wrote:  The drug allows them to manage the symptom, on a day to day basis.

Yes. With our current medical knowledge and technology, there are numerous conditions for which all we can do is manage the symptoms.

Again, what is your point?
Are you advocating not treating chronic conditions?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-01-2016, 02:08 PM
When your viewpoint has been shown to be erroneous, the dignified and logical course of action is to alter that viewpoint to better align with reality.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
21-01-2016, 08:28 PM
(21-01-2016 01:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(21-01-2016 12:33 PM)coyote Wrote:  I did not say that.

I am on thyroid meds for the rest of my life. It's not much trouble, one pill. If I stop taking it the issue will come back, but not amplified.

The drug does solve the problem, it doesn't heal the faulty part.

People with thyroidectomies (for various reasons) who don't take their meds get in very very big trouble.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-01-2016, 09:54 PM
(21-01-2016 09:06 AM)coyote Wrote:  A couple days ago I posted that in a thread - not as a question, but as an assertion. I also stated that drugs are good for temporary symptom management.

Lots of folks seemed to not read past the first statement, and got offended by it immediately.

Well recently we got the news of the death of Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey. His cause of death was pneumonia. One of the side effects of the meds he was taking for his rheumatoid arthritis is ulcerative colitis, and that med plus the med he was taking to combat the colitis both leave you highly exposed to infections such as pneumonia. People around him seem convinced that the meds are in part responsible for his too-early demise.

So back to my statement.

Health is a state of physical and mental well being.
While the drugs apparently helped alleviate Frey's symptoms, their undesirable but unavoidable effects also apparently killed him. That is not health, is it??

Health is better pursued via your choices of nourishment (diet) and activity (exercise) and mental intake (choices of acquaintances, entertainment, information, etc) than by attempting to purchase it as a quick fix at the RiteAid counter.

Drugs are temporary symptom management.
They are not health.

I currently am on a 24/7 infusion that is keeping me alive. There is hope it may be a cure. If not, I'm dead.

Depends upon one's view or situation as far as I can tell.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Hug Banjo
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
22-01-2016, 07:09 AM
This idea seems attached closely to a view that human body have a "perfect" or close to it stasis.

I have a friend who talks in that manner, he's not religious but he still has this golden ratio type view of how bodies and biology function.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-01-2016, 07:13 AM

So what do you perceive the problem to be? My problem is that if I don't take my metformin I'll probably die in a few weeks. SO I take it twice a day. No Problem!