Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 12:45 PM
RE: Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)
Yeah, I'll still take antibiotics over "mental intake" (wtaf?) next time I'm trying to clear up a bacterial infection, thanks.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-01-2016, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2016 03:20 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(21-01-2016 09:06 AM)coyote Wrote:  Drugs are temporary symptom management.
They are not health.

Facepalm

Drugs are chemicals.

Your body already produces it's own chemicals. Life is just a really complex series of chemical reactions.

Sometimes your body doesn't produce enough or it produces too much of a particular chemical compound.

Sometimes we require the addition of outside chemicals to balance out what would otherwise be a deficiency with deleterious health effects. The easiest example of this would be insulin shots to manage diabetes, because one's body can no longer manager sugar level on it's own. Someone with Type 2 diabetes who can manage their sugar levels with insulin can be healthy. That same person without insulin will find it much harder to do, and may even die if things spiral out of control.

But no, please tell me how a diabetic without access to insulin is the healthier one. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
22-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Tell that to a type 1 diabetic who needs insulin to survive. The fuck you thinking fool?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-01-2016, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2016 08:39 PM by Black Eagle.)
I take insulin to survive. I also take Simponi to survive [like Glenn Frey, I have ulcerative colitis]. I will be on insulin and Simponi for the rest of my life, however long that may be. Those drugs are not merely temporary symptom management tools to me. I have good health because I take those drugs. To say that drugs are just a temporary symptom management tool is a really fucking stupid statement and I don't know why I even responded to this thread.
[+] 4 users Like Black Eagle's post
24-01-2016, 12:08 AM
Still waiting on the OP to explain how antibiotics and vaccines only treat symptoms.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
26-01-2016, 09:18 AM
You guys are probably going to want to punch me for bumping this topic, but deal with it.Heart

The OP probably meant well and with no maliciousness, but whatever.

Prescription medication for ailments that are life threatening with the prospect of a faster death being inevitable without them, fair play. Absolutely (obviously) necessary.

I am tired of doctors who merely exist to be legal drug dealers, though.

My girlfriend went for a little doctorly exam this morning. Her blood pressure was slightly elevated, and the doctor already wants to put her on BP medication. Ugh. With something like that, that can be largely helped through factors like diet, vitamin/mineral supplementation, regular exercise and managing stress or using relaxation techniques. Everybody is always a little on edge at the doctors office, so an elevation in BP is run of the mill. This is a new doctor that she's seeing, and it's unsettling to me that this doc wants to go ahead and put her on it. Boo.

Back in September 2014, I went to see a young nurse practitioner. It was the first time being in a doctor's office since January 2009. My blood pressure was through the roof. I was having extreme anxiety. She wanted to put me on BP medication! The times I've checked my BP at random points since have all been in the normal and/or optimal range.

In this case, too many quacks want to patch the problem, NOT solve the problem.

Note: the above has nothing to do with medicine that's virtually mandatory to survival. Just had to deliver that tangent after speaking with my girlfriend this morning.
27-01-2016, 06:41 AM
So I'm scrolling down the forum list and this thread was the top one for this sub-forum. It's early here and the coffee is still kicking in. As I scroll down instead of the actual title, my brain reads:

"Dogs are the Anti-Christ..." Blink

I need more coffee.

(and new glasses apparently...)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
28-01-2016, 10:45 PM
(26-01-2016 09:18 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  You guys are probably going to want to punch me for bumping this topic, but deal with it.Heart

Prescription medication for ailments that are life threatening with the prospect of a faster death being inevitable without them, fair play. Absolutely (obviously) necessary.

My girlfriend went for a little doctorly exam this morning. Her blood pressure was slightly elevated, and the doctor already wants to put her on BP medication. Ugh. With something like that, that can be largely helped through factors like diet, vitamin/mineral supplementation, regular exercise and managing stress or using relaxation techniques. Everybody is always a little on edge at the doctors office, so an elevation in BP is run of the mill. This is a new doctor that she's seeing, and it's unsettling to me that this doc wants to go ahead and put her on it. Boo.

Back in September 2014, I went to see a young nurse practitioner. It was the first time being in a doctor's office since January 2009. My blood pressure was through the roof. I was having extreme anxiety. She wanted to put me on BP medication! The times I've checked my BP at random points since have all been in the normal and/or optimal range.

Note: the above has nothing to do with medicine that's virtually mandatory to survival. Just had to deliver that tangent after speaking with my girlfriend this morning.
Thank you for grasping the intent of my post.

To those who mentioned antibiotics: I work in a hospital. I've seen doctors prescribe those for the common cold. Which is bad, because they destroy the balance of bacteria in your gut. Oh, and the overuse of them has given us 'super-bugs' that are resistant to virtually all treatment. You think antibiotics= health? Go ask the risk management dept at your local hospital. Health is natural resistance; antibiotics are a drastic intervention that you want to avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Insulin is a hormone, not a drug. But those of you on it who are Type 2, tell me: did your weight and your food choices contribute to the onset of your diabetes? Is shooting insulin twice a day your idea of healthy living?

Are any of you regular users of acetaminophen?
Did you know that it is directly associated with acute liver failure, even at recommended doses? That if you combine it with alcohol, your risk of kidney damage rises significantly?

Sorry this enrages so many of you.
28-01-2016, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2016 11:19 PM by ClydeLee.)
(28-01-2016 10:45 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 09:18 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  You guys are probably going to want to punch me for bumping this topic, but deal with it.Heart

Thank you for grasping the intent of my post.

To those who mentioned antibiotics: I work in a hospital. I've seen doctors prescribe those for the common cold. Which is bad, because they destroy the balance of bacteria in your gut. Oh, and the overuse of them has given us 'super-bugs' that are resistant to virtually all treatment. You think antibiotics= health? Go ask the risk management dept at your local hospital. Health is natural resistance; antibiotics are a drastic intervention that you want to avoid unless absolutely necessary.

Insulin is a hormone, not a drug. But those of you on it who are Type 2, tell me: did your weight and your food choices contribute to the onset of your diabetes? Is shooting insulin twice a day your idea of healthy living?

Are any of you regular users of acetaminophen?
Did you know that it is directly associated with acute liver failure, even at recommended doses? That if you combine it with alcohol, your risk of kidney damage rises significantly?

Sorry this enrages so many of you.

This is bringing up the point I was weary of.

What do you think "Natural resistance" is? These types of concepts are more flawed than the thinking of what other chemical factors can use. Your biology isn't some perfect or uniform state that has a truly ideal or often effective natural recuperation . That would only exist through guided genetic pickings or some intelligently designed beings. Beings have gotten by through selection of "being good enough" to pass on genes and are susceptible to flaws and elements frequently in effort to sustain their existence in ways that harm our health.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-01-2016, 11:41 PM
(21-01-2016 09:06 AM)coyote Wrote:  A couple days ago I posted that in a thread - not as a question, but as an assertion. I also stated that drugs are good for temporary symptom management.

Lots of folks seemed to not read past the first statement, and got offended by it immediately.

Well recently we got the news of the death of Eagles co-founder Glenn Frey. His cause of death was pneumonia. One of the side effects of the meds he was taking for his rheumatoid arthritis is ulcerative colitis, and that med plus the med he was taking to combat the colitis both leave you highly exposed to infections such as pneumonia. People around him seem convinced that the meds are in part responsible for his too-early demise.

So back to my statement.

Health is a state of physical and mental well being.
While the drugs apparently helped alleviate Frey's symptoms, their undesirable but unavoidable effects also apparently killed him. That is not health, is it??

Health is better pursued via your choices of nourishment (diet) and activity (exercise) and mental intake (choices of acquaintances, entertainment, information, etc) than by attempting to purchase it as a quick fix at the RiteAid counter.

Drugs are temporary symptom management.
They are not health.

Simplistic answers to complex issues are rarely a good thing...

Unless you are in a position to read all of Glenn Frey's medical history, you are simply speculating and adding a dose of your own confirmation bias to the mix.

Telling people they don't need their medications can be dangerous.

While your at it, maybe you can explain how you can reverse type 1 diabetes? I know one adult with it, he's had it since he was a kid.

I'm sure he'd love to stop taking insulin and checking his blood sugar.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post