Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2016, 12:53 PM
RE: Drugs are the antithesis of health?? (Glenn Frey content)
(29-01-2016 11:05 AM)coyote Wrote:  Etc. Just through appropriate and effective food choices and exercise.
That is health.

Even though that combination in no way total prevention of inevitable health issues?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2016, 12:54 PM
(29-01-2016 12:42 PM)coyote Wrote:  I dunno man. You argumentative atheists around here are showing a disturbing tendency to put words in others' mouths. it is, frankly, a shitty and dishonest debate tactic.

You DID say it.

Quote:So back to my statement.

Health is a state of physical and mental well being.
While the drugs apparently helped alleviate Frey's symptoms, their undesirable but unavoidable effects also apparently killed him. That is not health, is it??

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
29-01-2016, 01:13 PM
(29-01-2016 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 12:42 PM)coyote Wrote:  ... it is, frankly, a shitty and dishonest debate tactic.

Don't give a shit about Glenn Frey's medical history but I'll discuss hormones with you. I've been manipulating mine exogenously for years. Why do you feel exogenous hormone replacement therapy is "the antithesis of health"? To me it's just another tool in my "Keep Bob Alive" toolchest.

Short answer: because if you were actually healthy, it would not be necessary.

Long as we are equating hormones to drugs, let's go to an extreme: a woman gets breast cancer. She gets chemotherapy. That chemo is keeping her alive (hopefully) by destroying the cancer that would otherwise be killing her, right? But have you seen chemo patients? They certainly ain't healthy. The chemo might be giving them a few more years of life, but in the process it doles out headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nerve damage that is sometimes permanent. Does that sound like 'healthy'??

Not to me.
29-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Coyote, did you ever address cjlr's request to define what use of the word "drug" you are talking about here?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
29-01-2016, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2016 01:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-01-2016 01:13 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't give a shit about Glenn Frey's medical history but I'll discuss hormones with you. I've been manipulating mine exogenously for years. Why do you feel exogenous hormone replacement therapy is "the antithesis of health"? To me it's just another tool in my "Keep Bob Alive" toolchest.

Long as we are equating hormones to drugs, let's go to an extreme: a woman gets breast cancer. She gets chemotherapy. That chemo is keeping her alive (hopefully) by destroying the cancer that would otherwise be killing her, right? But have you seen chemo patients? They certainly ain't healthy. The chemo might be giving them a few more years of life, but in the process it doles out headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nerve damage that is sometimes permanent. Does that sound like 'healthy'??

Not to me.

Why you go so extreme from the gitgo? How about this story. Say I'm a man in the 95% confidence interval less than two standard deviations away from the mean so by the time I'm 60 yo my testosterone levels are dropping at a precipitous rate to settle somewhere less than half of my peak levels at around 20 yo. At which point my testosterone is too low to maintain an erection. If I want to continue screwing my wife of 30 years I can either 1) take a pill which redirects blood flow to engorge my penis or 2) exogenously supplement my testosterone to get boners like I used to without dicking with my blood flow. Which is "healthier"?

#sigh
29-01-2016, 02:02 PM
(29-01-2016 01:13 PM)coyote Wrote:  Long as we are equating hormones to drugs, let's go to an extreme: a woman gets breast cancer. She gets chemotherapy. That chemo is keeping her alive (hopefully) by destroying the cancer that would otherwise be killing her, right? But have you seen chemo patients? They certainly ain't healthy. The chemo might be giving them a few more years of life, but in the process it doles out headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nerve damage that is sometimes permanent. Does that sound like 'healthy'??

Not to me.

She doesn't get chemo. She dies. Does that sound like 'healthy'?

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
29-01-2016, 02:56 PM
(29-01-2016 01:13 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't give a shit about Glenn Frey's medical history but I'll discuss hormones with you. I've been manipulating mine exogenously for years. Why do you feel exogenous hormone replacement therapy is "the antithesis of health"? To me it's just another tool in my "Keep Bob Alive" toolchest.

Not to me.

So, you are merely asserting a shallow truism: If one is healthy, one doesn't need drugs. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-01-2016, 03:19 PM
(29-01-2016 12:42 PM)coyote Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 11:56 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nice dodge. However you only addressed part of what I wrote.

Unless you have access to Glenn Frey's entire medical history you are speculating about his death.

It's only a 'dodge' if you don't read so well. I clearly said "people around him seem convinced..."

I dunno man. You argumentative atheists around here are showing a disturbing tendency to put words in others' mouths. it is, frankly, a shitty and dishonest debate tactic.

Unnamed sources of "people around him" might or might not have access to his medical history. Seriously...intentionally vague... That's the kind of shit the national enquirer says when they claim Jennifer Anniston is pregnant with twins.

Did you say that you work in the medical field?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-01-2016, 03:31 PM
(29-01-2016 02:02 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(29-01-2016 01:13 PM)coyote Wrote:  Long as we are equating hormones to drugs, let's go to an extreme: a woman gets breast cancer. She gets chemotherapy. That chemo is keeping her alive (hopefully) by destroying the cancer that would otherwise be killing her, right? But have you seen chemo patients? They certainly ain't healthy. The chemo might be giving them a few more years of life, but in the process it doles out headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nerve damage that is sometimes permanent. Does that sound like 'healthy'??

Not to me.

She doesn't get chemo. She dies. Does that sound like 'healthy'?

I had breast cancer. I didn't take chemo. Not dead yet. Also cancer free. Everyone and every health situation is different. Therefore, so are treatment methods.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-01-2016, 06:37 PM
(29-01-2016 03:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I had breast cancer. I didn't take chemo. Not dead yet. Also cancer free. Everyone and every health situation is different. Therefore, so are treatment methods.

I am glad that you made it through without chemo! Thumbsup