Drum n Bass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Drum n Bass
Do any of you listen to the UK invention, Drum and Bass? It is pretty cool, depending on what style you listen to.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 03:49 PM
RE: Drum n Bass
old diesel boy tracks are really good

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot
30-03-2012, 05:05 PM
I listened to so much DnB, but involuntarily. It used to be a great fashion around here. My older brother loved it and all his drunk and high friends too. Although some of them included ska into their repertoire since then.

I personally think it's too loud, simplistic and mainstream-sounding. I prefer some pieces of Goa trance or psychedelic ambient acid that uses mostly minor key melodies, making it sound less brash and more... trippy. Or maybe I'm just too oversensitive. It doesn't hit the right neurons with me. The closest I get to this culture is Chemical Brothers - Come with us - and this one is pretty experimental.

However, this is almost as fast if not more, yet I really love the buildup sequences, the drums and all.

I can ever tolerate some (ambient) dubstep, if not DnB.

Maybe I'm allergic to the mainstream sound AND there is some hidden trauma when I had a bad trip and had to listen to DnB Huh

31-03-2012, 09:25 AM
(30-03-2012 05:05 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I listened to so much DnB, but involuntarily. It used to be a great fashion around here. My older brother loved it and all his drunk and high friends too. Although some of them included ska into their repertoire since then.

I personally think it's too loud, simplistic and mainstream-sounding. I prefer some pieces of Goa trance or psychedelic ambient acid that uses mostly minor key melodies, making it sound less brash and more... trippy. Or maybe I'm just too oversensitive. It doesn't hit the right neurons with me. The closest I get to this culture is Chemical Brothers - Come with us - and this one is pretty experimental.

However, this is almost as fast if not more, yet I really love the buildup sequences, the drums and all.

I can ever tolerate some (ambient) dubstep, if not DnB.

Maybe I'm allergic to the mainstream sound AND there is some hidden trauma when I had a bad trip and had to listen to DnB Huh
Loud and simplistic? I have produced electronic music before, and I know that out of all the music, Trance and House are the most simple and mainstream. There are various types of drum n bass, mind you. =D

If it don't float your boat, dat is cool wit me brah!

Poonjab
31-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Used to love drum and bass....... started off with Jungle in 1995 and then progressed.

I still enjoy listening to D and B its just I prefer the "wub wub wub" of modulated bass of dubstep. Plus I produce my own on Fruit Loops.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-04-2012, 03:34 AM
(31-03-2012 09:25 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Loud and simplistic? I have produced electronic music before, and I know that out of all the music, Trance and House are the most simple and mainstream. There are various types of drum n bass, mind you. =D

Well, I meant Psytrance and Goa trance, like Hallucinogen or Astral Projection, these aren't so mainstream. DnB can float my boat, if done right. But usually it takes some trippy sound engineers to take a detour into the DnB waters in their own style. If you're a pro, can you tell me what's so different about these? Is there any real difference or it's just in my head? Mind you, I'm a guy who had read D. Levitin's book This is your brain on music.

03-04-2012, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 08:23 AM by Logica Humano.)
(01-04-2012 03:34 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(31-03-2012 09:25 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Loud and simplistic? I have produced electronic music before, and I know that out of all the music, Trance and House are the most simple and mainstream. There are various types of drum n bass, mind you. =D

Well, I meant Psytrance and Goa trance, like Hallucinogen or Astral Projection, these aren't so mainstream. DnB can float my boat, if done right. But usually it takes some trippy sound engineers to take a detour into the DnB waters in their own style. If you're a pro, can you tell me what's so different about these? Is there any real difference or it's just in my head? Mind you, I'm a guy who had read D. Levitin's book This is your brain on music.
The first is filthy, the latter is liquid. Plasticine is low register oriented, where as Pitch Black is melodic. Sort of like comparing these two.

Neither one are similar. If you are implying there is a certain structure to DnB music, then that can be argued about any electronic genre, and any music genre in general. How about listen to these and tell me the difference.

(31-03-2012 06:29 PM)bemore Wrote:  Used to love drum and bass....... started off with Jungle in 1995 and then progressed.

I still enjoy listening to D and B its just I prefer the "wub wub wub" of modulated bass of dubstep. Plus I produce my own on Fruit Loops.

When it comes to producing Dubstep, it is actually more complex. It is difficult to create good modulated basslines while still maintaining a good atmosphere and melody. It is much easier to create Drum n Bass, especially liquid. The most annoying thing about producing DnB is creating your own note patterns.

FL 10 and Ableton are bawsus! High-five! What VSTs do you use?

Poonjab
03-04-2012, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 02:48 PM by bemore.)
(03-04-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  When it comes to producing Dubstep, it is actually more complex. It is difficult to create good modulated basslines while still maintaining a good atmosphere and melody. It is much easier to create Drum n Bass, especially liquid. The most annoying thing about producing DnB is creating your own note patterns.

Ive recently upgraded to Fruit loops 9 studio edition or something (got it off a mate)

Ive not bothered with any VSTs yet as I normally clear syntax to default and then make my bass lines that way.... with a bit of wobble added in of course Wink

I use the preset drum selections on the piano roll and do all of my drum sets manually..... takes time but it feels more like mine when its done Smile

Still learning a hell of a lot but ive improved over the years..... I should really upload a few tracks to youtube so you peeps can listen.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
04-04-2012, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2012 12:10 PM by Logica Humano.)
(03-04-2012 02:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  When it comes to producing Dubstep, it is actually more complex. It is difficult to create good modulated basslines while still maintaining a good atmosphere and melody. It is much easier to create Drum n Bass, especially liquid. The most annoying thing about producing DnB is creating your own note patterns.

Ive recently upgraded to Fruit loops 9 studio edition or something (got it off a mate)

Ive not bothered with any VSTs yet as I normally clear syntax to default and then make my bass lines that way.... with a bit of wobble added in of course Wink

I use the preset drum selections on the piano roll and do all of my drum sets manually..... takes time but it feels more like mine when its done Smile

Still learning a hell of a lot but ive improved over the years..... I should really upload a few tracks to youtube so you peeps can listen.
You can actually get some pretty nice sounds off of 3x Osc with a bit of layering and bit crushing. The only problem is, well, it does not have that much modulation variety.

The beginning drum presets (Legacy Pack, I believe) are a bit underutilized, because with EQing and layering they are pretty good.

When you start getting popular, you should switch to Massive. That VST is cheap compared to others, and it has such a freaking nice sound for wobble basses and synth leads.

Oh, and if you want to hear great non-commercial dubstep, listen to this guy!

Poonjab
09-04-2012, 12:28 PM
(03-04-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The first is filthy, the latter is liquid. Plasticine is low register oriented, where as Pitch Black is melodic. Sort of like comparing these two.
You're right, filthy it is. But I'd call it playful filthy, not loud & violent filthy (no offense meant) as your example of Spor - 103 degrees.
Also, both Plasticine (by ZubZub) and The Random Smiler (by Pitch Black) seem to contain more complex rhythms and beats. Specially the "fast broken scattered beats", if you know what I mean. I think if I call them a bit milder, more complex (at times) and melancholic, that is a good definition. And trippy, using effects to make the sound "weirder", as opposed to mainstream.

(03-04-2012 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Neither one are similar. If you are implying there is a certain structure to DnB music, then that can be argued about any electronic genre, and any music genre in general. How about listen to these and tell me the difference.
The Ice Dance by Bachelors of Science - I like this one! Doesn't try to sound psychedelic but it's good and relaxing! The drums are all right, quite original, must say. The mood is fine too, I'd classify it as "lighter melancholic", as opposed to "darker melancholic" commonly used in psychedelic ambient music. I'll check out the whole album.

Supernova by Spor - this one's exactly what I'd stay away from. There is little but generic drums and bass together and extremely loud ones, at that. (I had to use about 0,5% of my volume to listen through that) When I worked in a factory and used to commute with one smoker guy, he had such music on car speakers and I had earplugs.

I'd like you to check this one. It's a very special piece of music. It has 20 minutes, but it's really worth it. I know it starts all relaxing and quiet, but I had some people (hardcore techno listeners) say this is the most psychedelic thing they ever heard. The style is probably indescribable, but I think it's closest to Drum and Bass when it really gets going. It's about a couple guys from UK who were in India, observed a solar eclipse there and then went to the studio to re-create the experience in sound. Click Play and close your eyes.

Take a deep breath. Open your eyes. What do you think now?