Drummers and time.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2015, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 05:59 AM by Banjo.)
Drummers and time.
Time is why we are there. It matters not how fast your paradiddle is, if you cannot play a basic groove, whether it be blues, jazz rock funk etc in time, you wont work.

One must consider the metronome, or click, as a friend, not an enemy.

I seem to recall a great drummer saying he thought of the cowbell click as being Paquito de Rivera playing beside him.

A great attitude.

I am a drummer dedicated to the click track.

However I am also a percussionist who has had to play with drummers whose time was wayward. When one is playing a simple cha cha cha on the congas and is unsure where the one is, it is uncomfortable. To say the least.

I began this thread because I saw a photo of a member who plays drums.

I hope it helps. I would not do this at a drummer forum because of all the follow on questions.

Drummers need to be in time. I am sure other musicians here will or would agree.

BTW. That drummer is free to PM me and as I have loads of time I have decided to give free skype lessons. These lessons will be technique based only. But are avaliable for free to TTA members while I have time.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
11-10-2015, 06:55 AM
RE: Drummers and time.
Didja hear about the drummer who practiced the rhythm method of birth control with his wife??

They had 11 kids...

nyuk nyuk nyuk....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-10-2015, 07:09 AM
I don't understand drums. When I listen to a song, I listen for the melody. Then when I find myself fake drumming along with a song, I just make shit up as go. The drum parts just never stick in my head.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
11-10-2015, 07:23 AM
(11-10-2015 07:09 AM)cactus Wrote:  I don't understand drums. When I listen to a song, I listen for the melody. Then when I find myself fake drumming along with a song, I just make shit up as go. The drum parts just never stick in my head.

Seriously if you wish to understand time, I will help. PM me your skype addy. This I will help with., This is what I do these days. I will gladly help. Soon I will not have time as various people want my expertise.

Take it or leave it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
11-10-2015, 07:28 AM
The drum creates time and flow, you got it all right, but the perspective isn't seeing the true creation.Cool

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Sleeping now. Only seirous musicians respond. In other words people like Online Biker stay away. Although I like you, you are an annoyance here.

Banjo.
11-10-2015, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 07:45 AM by cactus.)
(11-10-2015 07:23 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 07:09 AM)cactus Wrote:  I don't understand drums. When I listen to a song, I listen for the melody. Then when I find myself fake drumming along with a song, I just make shit up as go. The drum parts just never stick in my head.

Seriously if you wish to understand time, I will help. PM me your skype addy. This I will help with., This is what I do these days. I will gladly help. Soon I will not have time as various people want my expertise.

Take it or leave it.

Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm spending my free time focusing on guitar and piano right now, and I don't want to get sidetracked and try to pile on too many things at once. Plus I live in an apartment with really thin walls and don't want to disturb people with my horrible drum playing at 1:00 in the morning. lol
I'll think about getting a drum set when I move to a new place, but it's not a priority for me right now.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
11-10-2015, 08:04 AM
(11-10-2015 07:41 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 07:23 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Seriously if you wish to understand time, I will help. PM me your skype addy. This I will help with., This is what I do these days. I will gladly help. Soon I will not have time as various people want my expertise.

Take it or leave it.

Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm spending my free time focusing on guitar and piano right now, and I don't want to get sidetracked and try to pile on too many things at once. Plus I live in an apartment with really thin walls and don't want to disturb people with my horrible drum playing at 1:00 in the morning. lol
I'll think about getting a drum set when I move to a new place, but it's not a priority for me right now.

Perhaps not in the actual playing, but Piano and Drums have a lot of relation in how they flow with what you're hearing in the music.

If you say the drums fade away when you listen, thinking of the connections in how the piano creates the patterns and flow can help. Though that may take more connection in Jazz/blues themes than in general song styles of music. I still think there is some consistencies I often feel within the instruments.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Regardless of what instrument you play the importance of rhythm cannot be overstated. I can't even explain how much I wish, as a guitarist, I had taken playing with a metronome seriously right from the beginning.
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
11-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Drummers and time.
My tempo is horrible now. I was a percussionist but a cartilage issue sidelined me. And now... yikes.