Dualism and orgonomy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 04:37 PM by houseofcantor.)
Dualism and orgonomy
Most of us will agree it is hokum, but today I was all in "I'm dying" mode, and I got to thinking about my near-absolute lack of fear of death. I say "near" as I consider a somewhat dualist nature to human existence in the form of "me and my monkey." This because every once in a while there is a moment of anxiety thinking about death, which I consider as animal instinct for self-preservation bubbling up into my conscious awareness. I figure if it was up to me, I'd shut my hole and die already.

And I'm not subscribing to the thought of destiny - like how I'm a prophet and I'm supposed to be important - cause that's bullshit. But I keep flapping my gums, convinced that "fear of death" imposes a great burden on society and the Gwynnite death perspective has some value in rectifying such.

So is there some kinda monkey assed dualism, or what?

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2012, 04:08 PM
RE: Dualism
(30-09-2012 03:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Most of us will agree it is hokum, but today I was all in "I'm dying" mode, and I got to thinking about my near-absolute lack of fear of death. I say "near" as I consider a somewhat dualist nature to human existence in the form of "me and my monkey." This because every once in a while there is a moment of anxiety thinking about death, which I consider as animal instinct for self-preservation bubbling up into my conscious awareness. I figure if it was up to me, I'd shut my hole and die already.

And I'm not subscribing to the thought of destiny - like how I'm a prophet and I'm supposed to be important - cause that's bullshit. But I keep flapping my gums, convinced that "fear of death" imposes a great burden on society and the Gwynnite death perspective has some value in rectifying such.

No, there is no any-fucking-assed kind of dualism.

Your mind is like a bad neighborhood - you shouldn't go there alone.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
30-09-2012, 04:20 PM
(30-09-2012 03:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Most of us will agree it is hokum, but today I was all in "I'm dying" mode, and I got to thinking about my near-absolute lack of fear of death. I say "near" as I consider a somewhat dualist nature to human existence in the form of "me and my monkey." This because every once in a while there is a moment of anxiety thinking about death, which I consider as animal instinct for self-preservation bubbling up into my conscious awareness. I figure if it was up to me, I'd shut my hole and die already.

Extinction or dualism that is the question.Are there, within infinite possibilities, more reasons for either?
Find all posts by this user
30-09-2012, 04:22 PM
(30-09-2012 04:20 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  

Extinction or dualism that is the question.Are there, within infinite possibilities, more reasons for either?

Since there is no conceivable mechanism within our current physics for dualism, that tilts the argument rather strongly.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm talking more about influence from animal instinct than post-mortum preservation of identity, but yeah. For me, dualism is mere philosophical construct.

30-09-2012, 04:35 PM
(30-09-2012 04:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:20 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Extinction or dualism that is the question.Are there, within infinite possibilities, more reasons for either?

Since there is no conceivable mechanism within our current physics for dualism, that tilts the argument rather strongly.

A strong tilt perhaps, but our current physics are no more eternal absolutes than K.C,s monsterous god.
30-09-2012, 04:40 PM
(30-09-2012 04:35 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  Since there is no conceivable mechanism within our current physics for dualism, that tilts the argument rather strongly.

A strong tilt perhaps, but our current physics are no more eternal absolutes than K.C,s monsterous god.

Nor did he say that the laws are absolute.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
30-09-2012, 04:48 PM
(30-09-2012 04:40 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:35 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  A strong tilt perhaps, but our current physics are no more eternal absolutes than K.C,s monsterous god.

How is
Quote:No, there is no any-fucking-assed kind of dualism
not an absolute? Big Grin

30-09-2012, 04:54 PM
(30-09-2012 04:40 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:35 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  A strong tilt perhaps, but our current physics are no more eternal absolutes than K.C,s monsterous god.

I don't believe in universal absolutes; perhaps Chas doesn't either!
30-09-2012, 04:54 PM
(30-09-2012 04:48 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:40 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Nor did he say that the laws are absolute.

How is
Quote:No, there is no any-fucking-assed kind of dualism
not an absolute? Big Grin

Our current physics are exceedingly well supported. KC's beliefs are pathological.

I'll stand by my no fucking dualism statement. Mind is an emergent property of the brain; no more, no less.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post