Duck Dynasty finally pisses someone off over their religion. Took long enough!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 09:09 PM
RE: Duck Dynasty finally pisses someone off over their religion. Took long enough!
(18-12-2013 09:01 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  You want to see something frightening, read the user comments at the bottom.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/242570...z2nsoXwvk6

Combine deep south culture, the Bible, gays, and fans of swamp people into one comment section, and it's guaranteed to be entertaining/frightening - filled with proper spelling and well thought-out ideas.

It's not about one American citizen's freedom of speech. It's a mouthpiece for a television product voicing bigoted statements. If Conan O'Brien told a reporter that he honestly supported the revival of slavery in America, do these people not think that TBS would have the right to sever ties with him?

I like the random "what about separation of church and state?" Yes? What about the separation of church and state? I have a sneaking suspicion that you're only shouting out talking points you've heard somewhere.

And of course, with all comment sections... someone blamed Obama.

[Image: 8d7.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
19-12-2013, 10:40 AM
RE: Duck Dynasty finally pisses someone off over their religion. Took long enough!
I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. I understand GLAAD's reponse to Phil's idiotic comments in the last issue of GQ, but pulling him off the air is just undemocratic. Yeah, he's another blithering redneck devout believer whose knowledge of the Bible could fit in a matchbox but that's what his fans wanted. If the fans hate the show for Phil's comments, they just won't watch it. A&E is also entitled to state that Phil's comments are not reflective of the show or the network. But firing him? Too far.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-12-2013, 11:03 AM
(19-12-2013 10:40 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. I understand GLAAD's reponse to Phil's idiotic comments in the last issue of GQ, but pulling him off the air is just undemocratic. Yeah, he's another blithering redneck devout believer whose knowledge of the Bible could fit in a matchbox but that's what his fans wanted. If the fans hate the show for Phil's comments, they just won't watch it. A&E is also entitled to state that Phil's comments are not reflective of the show or the network. But firing him? Too far.

They're worried about advertisers -- obviously.

That's the tricky part of free speech people forget about. Sure he's got the right to spout his nonsense but other people have to right to boycott the people advertising on the show...Or the whole network...

Because it's pretty clear if you want to be associated with that -- you agree with what he said...

Like I said I've never seen or even heard of the show before now but.. A&E, History Channel and others have all become a bastion of "reality" tv -- And I'm sick of it. I gave up on TLC long ago because it stopped being about "learning" and became a network of shows glorifying stupid people. Food Network used to be about food it's not anymore -- it's really gone in the same "reality" direction.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-12-2013, 11:19 AM
(19-12-2013 11:03 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 10:40 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here. I understand GLAAD's reponse to Phil's idiotic comments in the last issue of GQ, but pulling him off the air is just undemocratic. Yeah, he's another blithering redneck devout believer whose knowledge of the Bible could fit in a matchbox but that's what his fans wanted. If the fans hate the show for Phil's comments, they just won't watch it. A&E is also entitled to state that Phil's comments are not reflective of the show or the network. But firing him? Too far.

That's the tricky part of free speech people forget about. Sure he's got the right to spout his nonsense but other people have to right to boycott the people advertising on the show...Or the whole network...

Because it's pretty clear if you want to be associated with that -- you agree with what he said...

Like I said I've never seen or even heard of the show before now but.. A&E, History Channel and others have all become a bastion of "reality" tv -- And I'm sick of it. I gave up on TLC long ago because it stopped being about "learning" and became a network of shows glorifying stupid people. Food Network used to be about food it's not anymore -- it's really gone in the same "reality" direction.

Well Moms, real reality TV would be fucking boring, now wouldn't it?
Imagine a show about Jon Doe; he's an every-man who works 9-5 in a back-end, going nowhere job, he's unsatisfied with his life but passive about it, lives in a steady marriage with his wife Jane and his three children in a small suburban house with a dog/cat.
The catch?
Nothing ever happens. Jon's life is strict reality, nothing exciting, no alligators or anything like that, except that one episode where he takes his kids to the zoo. It's just Jon as he traverses the pains of a boring everyday life of thousands of normal people.

Real reality sucks, so people make "interesting" shows emboldening stereotypes and actively encouraging it's typically already damn-near brain-dead fan base to heightened stupidity to keep them dumb enough to watch the glorified retards on screen (looking at you Jersey Shore producers!).

Not much money to be made with documentaries or other legitimately educational history/science fare, unless they have Morgan Freeman narrating that is, so they'll just stick to the new formula of redneck stereotypes and keep their money rakes in hand.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Duck Dynasty? News? Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-12-2013, 11:33 AM
(19-12-2013 11:03 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

All good points, Mom. However, if the sponsors abandon the show because of Phil's big mouth, the show will be pulled vis a vis basic economics. That's what nearly happened to Rush when he called Sandra Fluke a slut. Six major sponsors and a quarter of his audience threatened to jump ship, which probably would have killed the show. This is why Rush, who has spent a great deal of time in the past gloating about how much he annoys liberals and feminists, quietly issued an on air apology and slunk back to his usual 9-5 gig. This saved his bacon and a cushy job.

If that happens to Phil for what he said in GQ, great. Enrage your fans by acting like a horse's ass and they, in turn, won't watch the show? So be it. Personally I think a reality TV show featuring the Westboro Baptist Church would be awesone (see Howard Stern's "Abhord of the Lord" pitch starring the WBC clan).

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
19-12-2013, 11:34 AM
It's his opinion.

He's entitled to it. Doesn't mean it's not bigoted, but he has a right to it.

People also have the right to disagree with his opinion.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
19-12-2013, 11:45 AM
(19-12-2013 11:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Duck Dynasty? News? Dodgy

Pseudo news. No, we can't have a section for that on here. Unless we call it "Faerie Stories". Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-12-2013, 12:03 PM
(19-12-2013 11:33 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  All good points, Mom. However, if the sponsors abandon the show because of Phil's big mouth, the show will be pulled vis a vis basic economics. That's what nearly happened to Rush when he called Sandra Fluke a slut. Six major sponsors and a quarter of his audience threatened to jump ship, which probably would have killed the show. This is why Rush, who has spent a great deal of time in the past gloating about how much he annoys liberals and feminists, quietly issued an on air apology and slunk back to his usual 9-5 gig. This saved his bacon and a cushy job.

If that happens to Phil for what he said in GQ, great. Enrage your fans by acting like a horse's ass and they, in turn, won't watch the show? So be it. Personally I think a reality TV show featuring the Westboro Baptist Church would be awesone (see Howard Stern's "Abhord of the Lord" pitch starring the WBC clan).

You forget that A&E might not want the show pulled (or toying with idea) because someone said something controversial. They have a vested interest in the show continuing to run. They're thinking economics as well, and Phil has now become a liability to the profitability of the show for A&E and to let the show run to the ground is not only irresponsible fiscally is also dangerous for the reputation of the network as a whole.
They might care for free speech (and heck even agree with Phil's opinion) but the bottom line will always be more important to A&E as a business.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
19-12-2013, 12:06 PM
(19-12-2013 11:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's his opinion.

He's entitled to it. Doesn't mean it's not bigoted, but he has a right to it.

People also have the right to disagree with his opinion.

Precisely.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"