Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Dueling with drink?
Since I'm being vulnerable... I think I am. It's admitable. I don't like to get drunk, but I've gotten mellow and stayed there, most days, since Oct 2016, when I was involved in a car crash that, in short, almost killed me. I'm trying not to drink right now, and am realizing that not drinking continually and invariably draws me towards this feeling of misery, which I seem to have been casually drinking away for quite a while. I live in a house with 5, 20 something year old roommates. Beer is as water, wine is as coffee, and so it has gone for quite a time.

I posted earlier about Anhedonia. It was so easy for me to overlook what is likely the source of my mental lethargy, because the drink ignites within a person, an unwarranted contentedness that can only be achieved by artificial cascading releases of dopamine. I seem to have slid into a habit, without paying much attention to my behavior.

I was just trying to feel better I think.

Have you ever had a struggle with the drink?

How did you fare? Or how are you faring?

Did a higher power come into play? How did you quit without the supposedly necessary higher power, if you did?

If you're struggling right now with alcohol, my heart goes out to you. I didn't realize not drinking beer and wine was hard until I actively tried not to.

Regards. You're all lovely.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
12-07-2017, 09:45 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(12-07-2017 08:14 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Have you ever had a struggle with the drink?

Yup.

(12-07-2017 08:14 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Did a higher power come into play?

Yup.

[Image: bUwwB9Z.png]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I am incredibly curious what chemical it is I am looking at.

I'm sorry. I don't know enough chemistry to call out molecules based on their isomers.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
12-07-2017, 09:59 PM
(12-07-2017 09:52 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I am incredibly curious what chemical it is I am looking at.

I'm sorry. I don't know enough chemistry to call out molecules based on their isomers.

Google it. It'll give you something to do instead of drinking. Smile

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-07-2017, 10:00 PM
(12-07-2017 08:14 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Since I'm being vulnerable... I think I am. It's admitable. I don't like to get drunk, but I've gotten mellow and stayed there, most days, since Oct 2016, when I was involved in a car crash that, in short, almost killed me. I'm trying not to drink right now, and am realizing that not drinking continually and invariably draws me towards this feeling of misery, which I seem to have been casually drinking away for quite a while. I live in a house with 5, 20 something year old roommates. Beer is as water, wine is as coffee, and so it has gone for quite a time.

I posted earlier about Anhedonia. It was so easy for me to overlook what is likely the source of my mental lethargy, because the drink ignites within a person, an unwarranted contentedness that can only be achieved by artificial cascading releases of dopamine. I seem to have slid into a habit, without paying much attention to my behavior.

I was just trying to feel better I think.

Have you ever had a struggle with the drink?

How did you fare? Or how are you faring?

Did a higher power come into play? How did you quit without the supposedly necessary higher power, if you did?

If you're struggling right now with alcohol, my heart goes out to you. I didn't realize not drinking beer and wine was hard until I actively tried not to.

Regards. You're all lovely.

Besides the chemical help that Girly posted, you need to get out of that environment, which is only encouraging your consumption. I still drink, but not to excess. Get a hobby or something that draws your interest enough that you don't think about booze. It might be helpful to find something you like to the excess that it's like a booze substitute. And then, don't keep booze in the house, if you really don't want it. I do realize that this seems "do like I say, not as I do". I have in the past quit for years at a time with no cravings. YMMV
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
12-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I've struggled with drinking. I think you're at a point where you can come back -- but you'll have to work at it. I've had a good go at sobriety after 15 years of nightly drinking, and I'm here to tell you it doesn't get any easier.

As we say in recovery, if you think you have a problem, you've got a problem. Best to do something about it now, before that little chimp become the proverbial 800-pound gorilla.

You know what you have to do. If you need help doing it, let's talk.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
12-07-2017, 10:17 PM
(12-07-2017 09:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 09:52 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I am incredibly curious what chemical it is I am looking at.

Google it. It'll give you something to do instead of drinking. Smile

Laugh out load I just looked up twelve different relatively benign mood altering substances on my Molecules app.

Can you at least give me like a hint or something?

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
12-07-2017, 10:22 PM
I figured you might have pointed out acamprosate or naltrexone, and then maybe an antidepressant, but it wasn't any of those (that I'm aware of.) It wasn't psilocybin or a 5-HT2a receptor agonist either so I'm out of ideas.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
12-07-2017, 10:24 PM
(12-07-2017 10:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I've struggled with drinking. I think you're at a point where you can come back -- but you'll have to work at it. I've had a good go at sobriety after 15 years of nightly drinking, and I'm here to tell you it doesn't get any easier.

As we say in recovery, if you think you have a problem, you've got a problem. Best to do something about it now, before that little chimp become the proverbial 800-pound gorilla.

You know what you have to do. If you need help doing it, let's talk.

DMing you.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
12-07-2017, 10:59 PM
THC.

So obvious. How did I miss that?