Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
Quote:Pour it down the drain. If you want to feel powerful, do that.

I may actually try this. I actually felt empowered just visualizing it after reading it. I would feel like such a boss if I could bring myself to dump a bottle of booze in the toilet.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
12-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Hey Cosmos.

I read the very first page and skipped to your last post to see how you were coping.

Last night I went out with some mates who are drummers. We had a few beers.

Today I feel like shit. Smile

I don't think it's worth it.

An idea may simply be this. Go to the E.R. and speak to a doctor. If they ask what is wrong simply be honest. There may be a doctor who can speak with you. It may help to learn about the damage these toxins can cause.

If these people cannot help they may be able to point you in the right direction. It is my experience that medical professionals send patients to other medical professionals. People versed in science.

I too agree that your living envioroment (if indeed it remains the same) may be damaging to your health.

Your health is in danger. Therefore your life is at risk.

That's kind of serious.

Thumpa is a great guy to speak with. As I saw you did.

I hope it works out. Good luck. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
13-08-2017, 03:31 AM
(12-08-2017 09:34 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  

I may actually try this. I actually felt empowered just visualizing it after reading it. I would feel like such a boss if I could bring myself to dump a bottle of booze in the toilet.

Cosmo,

Please ignore my next comment if it bothers you at all.

Pouring away didn't work out for me. Did that a few years ago and still have the memory. What I do now is keep a selection of liquors in the house and don't drink them beyond docs' guidelines. Somehow (and again this is just me) keeping the danger close makes me stronger. If I was going to fold completely I could just walk into any pub or booze shop, but having the liquor cabinet close is a reminder of the stakes. The UK medical guidelines on alcohol are very low, and I meet them, so not a bad job. But - this does not work for everyone, maybe very few.

The title of this thread is 'Dueling with drink?' which implies an ongoing encounter, however for someone who can't hold the line, serious and early help is required. Each of us has to decide where we are on that score and face up to it.

I hope you find your feet soon. Thumbsup

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
13-08-2017, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017 10:31 AM by Cosmo.)
What a fitful sleep. Tons of sweating... and absolutely crazy dreams while feeling semi-awake the whole night. Truly the strangest thing. I'm okay with the dreams, but the sweating can go away at any time.

Mild anxiety right now. No desire to drink. For me personally, I've noticed that keeping my mind occupied is the most important thing at this stage. So, for now, apart from work, my intent is to read and write, eat some good food, and let my body and mind do some healing. That's pretty much it. If I can throw some exercise in there, that would be even better.

My digestion is on the fritz though, so it might take a while before I'm eating three square meals.

And for me personally, I can say confidently that it wouldn't work, again just for me. Thank you, though. I just know that if a bottle of alcohol is around, I'm keenly aware of its existence, and once I start drinking, I'll probably finish it. That's why I don't keep anything stronger than wine or hard cider at home.

Stay classy, fellow heathens.

Now is the time in the DwD thread where we laugh.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
13-08-2017, 05:36 PM
(12-08-2017 09:34 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  

Seriously. As you watch it spiraling down, tell yourself, "I'm in charge here."

It's a jolt, a good jolt. Get rid of that shit.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2017, 05:41 PM
(13-08-2017 03:31 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(12-08-2017 09:34 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I may actually try this. I actually felt empowered just visualizing it after reading it. I would feel like such a boss if I could bring myself to dump a bottle of booze in the toilet.

Cosmo,

Please ignore my next comment if it bothers you at all.

Pouring away didn't work out for me. Did that a few years ago and still have the memory. What I do now is keep a selection of liquors in the house and don't drink them beyond docs' guidelines. Somehow (and again this is just me) keeping the danger close makes me stronger. If I was going to fold completely I could just walk into any pub or booze shop, but having the liquor cabinet close is a reminder of the stakes. The UK medical guidelines on alcohol are very low, and I meet them, so not a bad job. But - this does not work for everyone, maybe very few.

The title of this thread is 'Dueling with drink?' which implies an ongoing encounter, however for someone who can't hold the line, serious and early help is required. Each of us has to decide where we are on that score and face up to it.

I hope you find your feet soon. Thumbsup

D.

A dear friend of the family for several decades carried in his breast-pocket a pack of cigarettes though he hadn't smoked in 15+ years. One night I asked him "Why?" and he answered "Every time I get to craving, I pull that pack out, look at it, and say, 'you're not gonna beat me', then I put it back."

There's value to our not approaching it the same way. We each have to work with who we are as we struggle with the little bastard. Many paths up the mountain, they all lead to the top, wot-wot.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2017, 05:45 PM
(13-08-2017 09:51 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  I just know that if a bottle of alcohol is around, I'm keenly aware of its existence, and once I start drinking, I'll probably finish it. That's why I don't keep anything stronger than wine or hard cider at home.

I know that's the case for me. Therefore, I keep none around.

As the Chief used to say, "Lead me not into temptation, I can find it my goddamned self."

Get rid of the stuff. Put it out.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Went to the grocery store today, to buy what I need for spaghetti sauce, to make it from scratch . My oldest son was so excited cause I haven't done it in months, (usually a winter thing....like stew). Apparently I do a good spaghetti sauce...

The woman in line in front of me was buying 2 beers (about $4.00 total) she asked if she could pay $0.75 in cash and the rest on debit...cashier said ok, debit was declined, she went through her purse and found another $.45 ish in dimes & nickels in change, asked to try to put the rest on her debit...it went through.

I was conflicted, I was so close to giving her the 2-3 bucks she needed to buy the beer because I felt sorry for her, but then I thought, she has less then 3 bucks in her account, and she's buying beer with it...

Right or wrong...the experience helped me get home without alcohol..

But now ..... Sadcryface I wonder about her...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
13-08-2017, 06:48 PM
(13-08-2017 09:51 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  And for me personally, I can say confidently that it wouldn't work, again just for me. Thank you, though. I just know that if a bottle of alcohol is around, I'm keenly aware of its existence, and once I start drinking, I'll probably finish it.

Same, though I might damage it without finishing it, depending on how much is in it. In the past I've thought, it would be cool to have a little liquor cabinet, a nice sampling of a little bit of everything. l see other people have these things.

Uh, no. Have drink will swallow.
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
13-08-2017, 07:24 PM
(13-08-2017 06:48 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  In the past I've thought, it would be cool to have a little liquor cabinet, a nice sampling of a little bit of everything. l see other people have these things.

Uh, no. Have drink will swallow.

When My step-brother & I were 18-ish? we had a "liquor cabinet" , my parents knew about it, was during the...

[Image: Cocktail_1988.jpg]

"years"? and...they were fine with it.

When I bought some Alcool in Quebec, cause a friend told me you can blow fire-balls out of your mouth with it...

I bought some & tried it at a party... it works...

My parents used the rest to sterilize needles for medication for the animals...as punishment for having the party... not for having:

[Image: 725036-large.png]

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard