Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-08-2017, 07:25 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
Follow up: I did not mean to disrespect Dworkin's suggestion regarding keeping a liquer cabinet...everybody's different. It's not like not having booze readily available means you can't get your hands on it when the cravings hit, if anything it just makes the situation worse because you usually have to get behind the wheel.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-08-2017, 02:04 PM
^

This is what I'm thinking. If you find a way of dealing with cravings that works for you, that's what's important. Sharing from your personal experiences with your methods is also great I think so it's all good.

Day 3 now. Doing better than last time I got here. No triggers around, and I think these relentless attempts at cutting back/it out are helping me wean off.

I had a revelation this morning. I use alcohol to go to bed, so I can be up around 4 am for work. I get to bed around 8, and still wake up exhausted. I started using it as a sleep aid a long time ago. It's actually why I first started drinking regularly if I look back.

Anyways, last night I didn't drink, and just resolved that if I wake up exhausted, so be it.

Here's what I learned. I felt more dapper, and more refreshed, after about four hours of fitful tossing and turning, than I ever did drinking and then passing out for 7-8 hours. This probably shouldn't blow my mind as much as it does, but I used to prioritize getting to sleep, over the type of sleep I was getting.

What a mistake. So from my experience, if you're using alcohol as a sleep aid so you can be up for work, I would suggest don't. You may get a better sleep tossing and turning all night in and out of REM than you will knocking yourself out with booze. Again at least this is what I just learned about myself.

So yeah, maybe don't let the fear of not sleeping like I had keep you from quitting.

Regards everyone!

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
14-08-2017, 03:41 PM
(13-08-2017 05:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A dear friend of the family for several decades carried in his breast-pocket a pack of cigarettes though he hadn't smoked in 15+ years. One night I asked him "Why?" and he answered "Every time I get to craving, I pull that pack out, look at it, and say, 'you're not gonna beat me', then I put it back."

There's value to our not approaching it the same way. We each have to work with who we are as we struggle with the little bastard. Many paths up the mountain, they all lead to the top, wot-wot.

Thump,

Thanks for the understanding; my post was a bit near the edge. Confused

Yes, I've done the same thing with cigarettes and even have a lump of medicinal herb that has been in my desk for 15 yrs!

Sitting here thinking about having a drop of vodka tonight. If I have it, my whole strategy falls on its face. Instead it will be a cup of black coffee and some cheese. Its the same fight we all have when the body chemistry follows the booze.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
14-08-2017, 04:52 PM
(14-08-2017 02:04 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  I had a revelation this morning. I use alcohol to go to bed, so I can be up around 4 am for work. I get to bed around 8, and still wake up exhausted. I started using it as a sleep aid a long time ago. It's actually why I first started drinking regularly if I look back.

Anyways, last night I didn't drink, and just resolved that if I wake up exhausted, so be it.

Here's what I learned. I felt more dapper, and more refreshed, after about four hours of fitful tossing and turning, than I ever did drinking and then passing out for 7-8 hours. This probably shouldn't blow my mind as much as it does, but I used to prioritize getting to sleep, over the type of sleep I was getting.

What a mistake. So from my experience, if you're using alcohol as a sleep aid so you can be up for work, I would suggest don't. You may get a better sleep tossing and turning all night in and out of REM than you will knocking yourself out with booze. Again at least this is what I just learned about myself.

So yeah, maybe don't let the fear of not sleeping like I had keep you from quitting.

Regards everyone!

Yeah, the last 2 years working at the now defunct hotel I used to work at ( 5 years ago) "forced" me to drink harder just to sleep, my mind just wouldn't stop thinking about a million different problems.. how to pay the bills, how to make payroll...etc.
In the last 6 months before they finally pulled the plug, we were putting rooms out of order cause we had to pillage them for stuff to keep the other rooms operational. Now the stress is gone and I'm not even close to as bad now as during that time but...

Made me remember the year I got the flu... the real one, not the "bad cold" that everybody calls the flu. Body aches, high fever (my wife told sometimes I would try and talk to her but my sentences didn't make sense) the whole thing. I was bed ridden for 2 weeks...now that I think about it I was probably going through withdrawal at the same time. When I recovered, I had little interest to drink alcohol or coffee for months, why did I start again? Who can remember...family dinner, christmas party?

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
14-08-2017, 10:06 PM
(14-08-2017 03:41 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(13-08-2017 05:41 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  A dear friend of the family for several decades carried in his breast-pocket a pack of cigarettes though he hadn't smoked in 15+ years. One night I asked him "Why?" and he answered "Every time I get to craving, I pull that pack out, look at it, and say, 'you're not gonna beat me', then I put it back."

There's value to our not approaching it the same way. We each have to work with who we are as we struggle with the little bastard. Many paths up the mountain, they all lead to the top, wot-wot.

Thump,

Thanks for the understanding; my post was a bit near the edge. Confused

One of the good things i took away from AA is the idea that I shouldn't take anyone's inventory but my own. If what you're doing works for you, have at it, and who is anyone to say otherwise?

I know what works for me, but what might that mean to anyone else? Not damned thing, that's what. We're here for support, both giving and receiving. That's the way I see it.

Wishing all a safe and sober evening.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-08-2017, 03:48 AM
Sorry about post #120, I was drinking on Sunday when I did that, wish I could delete it. Feel like an ass.

Woke up every hour on the hour last night, gonna just have to power right through the aches.

And realize that once I shake off this 1st step, I'll never be able to drink again.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
15-08-2017, 05:55 AM
I've been drinking again too, last six months due to big legal problems relating to dads death and the probate on his finances I also miss him terribly, each time I try and stop I get the sensation of hot and cold running water going up and down my whole body, sweats, night terrors insomnia suicidal thoughts the whole nine yards, its evil stuff. There, my shame is out in the open now, perhaps that's a good start idk.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
15-08-2017, 07:09 AM
it's not shame brother. Just the first part of being true.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
15-08-2017, 02:25 PM
(15-08-2017 07:09 AM)skyking Wrote:  it's not shame brother. Just the first part of being true.

adey,

+1 from me as well. There are some serious heroes on this thread, and the truths have certainly shaken me.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
15-08-2017, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2017 05:25 PM by Cosmo.)
Day 4!!

Gotta say I'm pretty proud of myself. Smile Had to check in with everyone quick.

After two nights of absolutely no sleep at all, I am so tired, that I'm about to nod off at 4:50 in the afternoon. I'm up at 3:30 anyways.

That means I made it to day five, which is the farthest I've made it since starting this thread. Smile!

Day 6 here I come.

Hey adey. I'm sorry about your dad, Sadcryface and the withdrawals. There's nothing to be ashamed of there. Really hope you make it through and begin to feel better. Go see a doctor if you think you're in trouble. And yeah, I'd say that's a great start you're making. Thump and others nailed it. We're just here trying to help each other at this point.

The boats moving slow enough that if you fall off, you can just swim up and jump back aboard.

Hey unsapien.

For me it was actually so strange. I developed this phobia of not sleeping, that I think may have contributed to keeping me up at night.

Starting again is actually baffling when it happens. I'm trying to note what triggered me when it happens, and then just actively avoiding whatever or whoever it is.

But yeah don't beat yourself up. It's okay. We all trip up. I'm just realizing it's how many times you're willing to pick yourself up and try again. I've posted drunk before. Don't even remember which ones in fact. Consider

But yeah, anyways, hope everyone has a great evening. I'm going to sleep. Laugh out load

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post