15-08-2017, 05:26 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
Thanks Cosmo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
16-08-2017, 05:46 AM
I started a day counter in my signature, I used to think counting each day was a bit silly, now I think it might be necessary. This way even if I don't post in this thread everyday, the first thing I'll do is update the counter as a daily reminder of my goal. The plan is to keep it going at least until next spring (or a full year), because the cold dark winter plus xmas holiday's are going to be another challenge.

I'm sure I can get to Friday morning...I've done it before. The weekend will be the next test, Fridays on my way home is when my brain really starts pushing "You made it through the week, good for you...you deserve prize for that...nudge,nudge..."

I will give myself a prize on Friday, but it'll have be my 2nd favourite thing... mixed meat with fried noodles from a Chinese restaurant up the street.

I had a dream last night...

I drove a van into a gas station to fill-up. After I filled the tank, I took out the nozzle and put it through the front passenger window of the van and continued to pump gas until the inside of van was full of gas up to the window. Then I realized there was no way to drive the van anymore, so I left it there and started walking.

Dreams don't usually get that obvious.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
16-08-2017, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2017 10:12 PM by Cosmo.)
Day 5 complete. Had a craving today, and just walked it off.

Was horrendously tired all day, even though I slept more last night than any night prior since the work week began. Didn't make too much sense to me.

Started taking Milk Thistle a few days ago, and have noticed massive improvements in my digestion. Really pleased with its effect on me. Thanks dworkin for the tip there.

I love the idea of a counter in my signature. I'm gonna set that up right now.

I've always wondered about dream interpretations. I've had dreams like that before where I'm wondering, or maybe am aware, of what my brain's trying to get at.

I had this one last night. It was long but this is the only part I vividly remember. I was on a boat, and the boat launched a missile, which malfunctioned right after and came plummeting back into the water right beside us. It was quiet for a second, and then it detonated, and the waves it caused flipped the boat. Somehow I lived.

Don't know if this one means anything but it was pretty crazy. Laugh out load

Anyways, yeah I'm gonna edit my siggy and then head to bed. Day 6 tomorrow. Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 3 users Like Cosmo's post
17-08-2017, 02:17 AM
Hi Cosmo,

You're doing good, real good!

Once those first few days are in the back pocket, no one can take them away. Thumbsup

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
17-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Dworkin, Cosmo, unsapien, Thumpalumpacus, and all the others in this thread. You're doing good guys. It is a constant battle when you quit. But... I can tell you the further you are able to distance yourself from the time you quit eventually you should come to a point that it ceases to be as much of an issue. I had to find out what my triggers were and try my best to avoid them. Once I was able to do that it became easier. I realize that everyone of us that battle this issue is different and there are multiple ways to beating this issue. There is no one size fits all with this. But to everyone that has posted... you are doing great! Keep up the good fight. Don't be discouraged if you should fall back a few steps. As I mentioned before, sometimes life has a way of fucking shit up but you guys are all trying and you can always reset and start anew.

Keep up the good work all. It takes guts to post here and everyone of you have shown guts with being honest about the setbacks and triumphs. My hope and wish is for everyone's continued success.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 5 users Like RearViewMirror's post
17-08-2017, 05:53 AM
(17-08-2017 05:46 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Dworkin, Cosmo, unsapien, Thumpalumpacus, and all the others in this thread. You're doing good guys. It is a constant battle when you quit. But... I can tell you the further you are able to distance yourself from the time you quit eventually you should come to a point that it ceases to be as much of an issue. I had to find out what my triggers were and try my best to avoid them. Once I was able to do that it became easier. I realize that everyone of us that battle this issue is different and there are multiple ways to beating this issue. There is no one size fits all with this. But to everyone that has posted... you are doing great! Keep up the good fight. Don't be discouraged if you should fall back a few steps. As I mentioned before, sometimes life has a way of fucking shit up but you guys are all trying and you can always reset and start anew.

Keep up the good work all. It takes guts to post here and everyone of you have shown guts with being honest about the setbacks and triumphs. My hope and wish is for everyone's continued success.

Thanks bro, Hug
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
17-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks dworkin, thanks RVM.

I made it through today.

I had a terrible day though tbh. Nothing went right. I feel like I said and did all the wrong things everywhere, and then just fell asleep all day. All I wanna do is sleep lately. Everything feels like it takes incredible effort. I come home from work, eat, and flop into bed.

Didn't drink today, but finally got smacked in the face with a pretty serious bout of just feeling terrible. I feel depressed, anxious, paranoid, bored, hungry, and exhausted. I'm just gonna go back to bed, and literally try to forget today happened.

I'm sorry. I've been trying really hard to keep a positive outlook, but I just can't even right now. I've been reading lots of stories and everyone insists it gets better. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm thinking I might finally be ready to head out and try to get a bit of exercise. Perhaps that'll help. For the first bit there, it felt like I had some healing to do.

Anyways, have a good night everyone.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
18-08-2017, 05:09 AM
Good Morning everyone,

Thank you RVM for your words of encouragement, thank you Cosmo for starting this thread, and thank you to all who have posted in this thread, and finally got me to openly admit the I have a problem that I can't fix all by myself.

And thank you Chas for planning that worm in my head a year ago that has chewed away at me & finally lead me here.

Talking in this thread and with others in TTA and now even in IRL has helped in a way I don't fully understand, after all I've never been a "people person", I'm a loner really.

But it's only day 5 for me of many attempted day 5s, the aches aren't gone, the craving isn't gone & I know by about 6pmish I'm going to start getting anxious & irritable when I know there is no drink handy. But today so far this feels different.

I hope everyone has a good day.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
18-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Its great knowing I'm not on my own, Cosmo I'm sorry you're having a bad day bro. Sad It seems like its catching I'm sick of life at the moment and its come from seemingly nowhere. Death would be a merciful release but hopefully that feeling will change. Good luck to you all. A.
18-08-2017, 09:12 AM
(17-08-2017 09:59 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  All I wanna do is sleep lately. Everything feels like it takes incredible effort. I come home from work, eat, and flop into bed.

Didn't drink today, but finally got smacked in the face with a pretty serious bout of just feeling terrible. I feel depressed, anxious, paranoid, bored, hungry, and exhausted. I'm just gonna go back to bed, and literally try to forget today happened.

Hi Cosmo,

The sleeping is a part of the process AFAIK. Been there quite recently with a couple of days in bed. Good news is you have an appetite for some food.

Like you mentioned, the next thing is exercise. I found the mountain bike to be helpful, fresh air, push hard and then back to bed. Sounds a bit crazy, but it works.

These symptoms do pass, like the 'hungry for more than food' thing. It takes time, but does pass.

D.