Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-08-2017, 09:22 AM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(17-08-2017 09:59 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Thanks dworkin, thanks RVM.

I made it through today.

I had a terrible day though tbh. Nothing went right. I feel like I said and did all the wrong things everywhere, and then just fell asleep all day. All I wanna do is sleep lately. Everything feels like it takes incredible effort. I come home from work, eat, and flop into bed.

Didn't drink today, but finally got smacked in the face with a pretty serious bout of just feeling terrible. I feel depressed, anxious, paranoid, bored, hungry, and exhausted. I'm just gonna go back to bed, and literally try to forget today happened.

I'm sorry. I've been trying really hard to keep a positive outlook, but I just can't even right now. I've been reading lots of stories and everyone insists it gets better. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm thinking I might finally be ready to head out and try to get a bit of exercise. Perhaps that'll help. For the first bit there, it felt like I had some healing to do.

Anyways, have a good night everyone.

Cosmo, those sound like the symptoms I had when I was coming cold turkey off of Celexa (which is an antidepressant that I took for about three months). I felt like absolute shit for several weeks--astonishing to me, since I had been on the stuff for such a short time--and got a big lecture from my doctor over the phone about how I should have tapered instead, etc. By the time I talked to my doctor, though, I was feeling better, so I just kept on with the cold turkey plan, and by a month out I was feeling tip top. So my opinion is that your physical plant is rebooting, and if you can make it through another week or so, you'll notice a big change for the better. Best of luck.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
18-08-2017, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2017 04:53 PM by Cosmo.)
(18-08-2017 07:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its great knowing I'm not on my own, Cosmo I'm sorry you're having a bad day bro. Sad It seems like its catching I'm sick of life at the moment and its come from seemingly nowhere. Death would be a merciful release but hopefully that feeling will change. Good luck to you all. A.

https://m.soundcloud.com/zerbin/fools-and-gold

Adey.

I'm not allowing you to give up. If you give up like that, then what am I doing this for? I just cracked, and am back at square one. Let's clarify one thing: I may feel sad, I may be an addict, I may screw up, I may die before my time... in fact, I may fundamentally be a piece of shit... no matter how hard I try not to be.

This all is fleeting. We have one chance, and I get that a lot if it hurts. But death is not merciful. Death has no friends or enemies. If you die, all the wonder and joy you could experience is snatched away just as quickly as the pain and sorrow is. Life seems to be a measure of how many times you get back up, and start swinging again.

I feel terrible right now, but I'm rallying tomorrow. Come with me through the shitty bits so we can experience the good bits.

The column on good alcohol ruined me for anyone who's reading this. I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it through our Radio Station's alcohol review, but I made it almost a full seven days. Like dworkin said, I need to be proud of that.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
18-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Dupe...

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
18-08-2017, 05:03 PM
(18-08-2017 04:34 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  
(18-08-2017 07:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Its great knowing I'm not on my own, Cosmo I'm sorry you're having a bad day bro. Sad It seems like its catching I'm sick of life at the moment and its come from seemingly nowhere. Death would be a merciful release but hopefully that feeling will change. Good luck to you all. A.

https://m.soundcloud.com/zerbin/fools-and-gold

Adey.

I'm not allowing you to give up. If you give up like that, then what am I doing this for? I just cracked, and am back at square one. Let's clarify one thing: I may feel sad, I may be an addict, I may screw up, I may die before my time... in fact, I may fundamentally be a piece of shit... no matter how hard I try not to be.

This all is fleeting. We have one chance, and I get that a lot if it hurts. But death is not merciful. Death has no friends or enemies. If you die, all the wonder and joy you could experience is snatched away just as quickly as the pain and sorrow is. Life seems to be a measure of how many times you get back up, and start swinging again.

I feel terrible right now, but I'm rallying tomorrow. Come with me through the shitty bits so we can experience the good bits.

The column on good alcohol ruined me for anyone who's reading this. I'm not sure how I'm gonna make it through our Radio Station's alcohol review, but I made it almost a full seven days. Like dworkin said, I need to be proud of that.

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
18-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Hug

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
18-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Hug Hug
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
18-08-2017, 07:33 PM
We're all in this together, guys. There will be hard days when flatlands look like hills and hills look like mountains. Okay.

What are you gonna do? We're a team, we work together, give a hand up, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You want to beat yourself up for lapsing? I've done that, we've all done that. Don't dwell, don't ponder it. Ain't nobody perfect and none of us are going to change that. What we can, should, and will do is take our imperfections in stride and not let them define us.

That whirlpool looks a lot prettier from up here than it did when I was drowning in it.

Quote:She broke down and let me in
Made me see where I've been

Been down one time
Been down two times
I'm never going back again

You don't know what it means to win
Come down and see me again

Been down one time
Been down two times

[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-08-2017, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2017 07:01 AM by Cosmo.)
Holy schnitzel I was pickled last night. My only solace is that I successfully took the entire week off from drinking. I'm gonna try to do that again. This column we do is tough to make it through though. As in, I can't seem to make it through it... so... not sure what I'm gonna do other than try to go another week. :/

(18-08-2017 07:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  We're all in this together, guys. There will be hard days when flatlands look like hills and hills look like mountains. Okay.

What are you gonna do? We're a team, we work together, give a hand up, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You want to beat yourself up for lapsing? I've done that, we've all done that. Don't dwell, don't ponder it. Ain't nobody perfect and none of us are going to change that. What we can, should, and will do is take our imperfections in stride and not let them define us.

That whirlpool looks a lot prettier from up here than it did when I was drowning in it.

Quote:She broke down and let me in
Made me see where I've been

Been down one time
Been down two times

You don't know what it means to win
Come down and see me again

Been down one time
Been down two times

We are absolutely a team, and this is a leave no man behind operation. Smile

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
19-08-2017, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2017 08:05 AM by unsapien.)
Cosmo & Adey,

I've been where you guys seem to be right now. The constant tiredness, suicidal thoughts, soaking the bed with sweat even though you feel cold, etc.., it does get better. I used to wake up in the morning, sit up in bed & just say "aww fuck" cause I was disappointed that I didn't pass away in the night. I was there back in January.

I was going to quit for the new year, only made it to the first weekend, drank for the next week cause I said to my self fuck it, it's just too hard. Then you remember that you have good reasons to try again, and I did, and the cycle began.

In the beginning of this thread there was some discussion about weaning off it or cold turkey. I think it has something to do with how long and how much you've been drinking before you try to quit. After 6 months of cycles of "quitting" and then "failing", I think what I might have done is unintentionally weaned myself to the point where the symptoms might be manageable.

...and I realize that I'm talking like I know what I'm doing when I don't...I am myself only on yet another day 6, and I had to take an anti-inflammatory, and 2 muscle relaxants to get to sleep last night.

I hope everyone's day today is easier then the last.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
19-08-2017, 09:40 AM
(19-08-2017 08:01 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Cosmo & Adey,

I've been where you guys seem to be right now. The constant tiredness, suicidal thoughts, soaking the bed with sweat even though you feel cold, etc.., it does get better. I used to wake up in the morning, sit up in bed & just say "aww fuck" cause I was disappointed that I didn't pass away in the night. I was there back in January.

I was going to quit for the new year, only made it to the first weekend, drank for the next week cause I said to my self fuck it, it's just too hard. Then you remember that you have good reasons to try again, and I did, and the cycle began.

In the beginning of this thread there was some discussion about weaning off it or cold turkey. I think it has something to do with how long and how much you've been drinking before you try to quit. After 6 months of cycles of "quitting" and then "failing", I think what I might have done is unintentionally weaned myself to the point where the symptoms might be manageable.

...and I realize that I'm talking like I know what I'm doing when I don't...I am myself only on yet another day 6, and I had to take an anti-inflammatory, and 2 muscle relaxants to get to sleep last night.

I hope everyone's day today is easier then the last.

Have you tried Melatonin for help with your sleep?

There was a long period of time during my healing from mastectomies that I used it almost every night. The good thing is that it doesn't make you feel 'hungover' or groggy after you sleep a few hours. It works pretty fast and is OTC (in the US anyway) and is affordable.

I have sporadic bouts of insomnia so I keep some on hand for those nights.

I use a brand called MidNite that's available pretty much everywhere here.

Keep at it...all of you who are struggling.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF