Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-08-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(19-08-2017 09:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 08:01 AM)unsapien Wrote:  Cosmo & Adey,

I've been where you guys seem to be right now. The constant tiredness, suicidal thoughts, soaking the bed with sweat even though you feel cold, etc.., it does get better. I used to wake up in the morning, sit up in bed & just say "aww fuck" cause I was disappointed that I didn't pass away in the night. I was there back in January.

I was going to quit for the new year, only made it to the first weekend, drank for the next week cause I said to my self fuck it, it's just too hard. Then you remember that you have good reasons to try again, and I did, and the cycle began.

In the beginning of this thread there was some discussion about weaning off it or cold turkey. I think it has something to do with how long and how much you've been drinking before you try to quit. After 6 months of cycles of "quitting" and then "failing", I think what I might have done is unintentionally weaned myself to the point where the symptoms might be manageable.

...and I realize that I'm talking like I know what I'm doing when I don't...I am myself only on yet another day 6, and I had to take an anti-inflammatory, and 2 muscle relaxants to get to sleep last night.

I hope everyone's day today is easier then the last.

Have you tried Melatonin for help with your sleep?

There was a long period of time during my healing from mastectomies that I used it almost every night. The good thing is that it doesn't make you feel 'hungover' or groggy after you sleep a few hours. It works pretty fast and is OTC (in the US anyway) and is affordable.

I have sporadic bouts of insomnia so I keep some on hand for those nights.

I use a brand called MidNite that's available pretty much everywhere here.

Keep at it...all of you who are struggling.

Prescription only in the UK I'm afraid. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2017, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Unsapian.
The camaraderie on this thread is fucking outstanding thank you to everyone here, its corny to say I know, but it really does feel like a band of brothers.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
19-08-2017, 01:53 PM
(19-08-2017 09:48 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(19-08-2017 09:40 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Have you tried Melatonin for help with your sleep?

There was a long period of time during my healing from mastectomies that I used it almost every night. The good thing is that it doesn't make you feel 'hungover' or groggy after you sleep a few hours. It works pretty fast and is OTC (in the US anyway) and is affordable.

I have sporadic bouts of insomnia so I keep some on hand for those nights.

I use a brand called MidNite that's available pretty much everywhere here.

Keep at it...all of you who are struggling.

Prescription only in the UK I'm afraid. Sad

Folks,

MidNite is listed on Amazon UK, but it is expensive. I'm still finding Co-codamols to be helpful, but the pharmacy will always ask why you want them. I say toothache.

D.
21-08-2017, 05:10 AM
I hope you guys all had a good weekend.

I spent the entire weekend cooking, I can't believe I made through the weekend without a drink, It must be the first weekend I've been dry this year.

I don't think my wife could believe it either cause she kept asking me if I was feeling okay.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
21-08-2017, 05:39 AM
I drank Saturday evening a half of vodka and wine, no effect apart from feeling slightly mellow for about an hour or so. Spent Sunday being very angry and totally unreasonable as my posting showed I'm ashamed to say, I didn't drink Sunday so I guess that's something. I'm a really stupid c*#t basically.
21-08-2017, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 01:12 PM by Cosmo.)
You're fine man. Was there anything other than drinking less that made you irritable on Sunday? I find when I'm sober for those first few days, I'm highly self-critical of everything I do, and everything I say, even if there might not be any reason for it.

Made it through Saturday and Sunday. Drank today. Not even sure why. The past Friday that I drank, it felt like I'd hit myself with a train, both same day and hangover day. What I've noticed, and what gets me sorta stoked is that as I take these breaks, my tolerance goes down, while the amount of days I don't drink goes up. I've noticed even since starting this thread that I drink significantly less. I might have more sober days this month than drinking days so far... so that's a huge step in the right direction.

Hope everyone's doin' alright alright.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 4 users Like Cosmo's post
21-08-2017, 03:23 PM
(21-08-2017 01:05 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  You're fine man. Was there anything other than drinking less that made you irritable on Sunday? I find when I'm sober for those first few days, I'm highly self-critical of everything I do, and everything I say, even if there might not be any reason for it.

Made it through Saturday and Sunday. Drank today. Not even sure why. The past Friday that I drank, it felt like I'd hit myself with a train, both same day and hangover day. What I've noticed, and what gets me sorta stoked is that as I take these breaks, my tolerance goes down, while the amount of days I don't drink goes up. I've noticed even since starting this thread that I drink significantly less. I might have more sober days this month than drinking days so far... so that's a huge step in the right direction.

Hope everyone's doin' alright alright.

Hi Cosmo,

Good news from you. yes, I'm drinking less too. The tolerance thing is true. Never thought it possible to say that 'less is more' with alcohol, but I'm sipping a little vodka tonight, and sober.

adey,

Nothing wrong with telling it straight. Thumbsup

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
22-08-2017, 03:53 PM
(21-08-2017 05:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I drank Saturday evening a half of vodka and wine, no effect apart from feeling slightly mellow for about an hour or so. Spent Sunday being very angry and totally unreasonable as my posting showed I'm ashamed to say, I didn't drink Sunday so I guess that's something. I'm a really stupid c*#t basically.

Nah brother... You're not stupid. It happens. Just remember if you feel the urge to take a drink, try to remember how you'll feel the next day. Before I got sober I did and felt the same way you did. One day at a time without a drink turns into two days then four days and so on. Don't beat yourself up over it. Like I've mentioned before... You can always start over and make it a new day. If you can keep that in mind you'll be fine. Just remember support is always here.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
22-08-2017, 04:55 PM
(22-08-2017 03:53 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 05:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I drank Saturday evening a half of vodka and wine, no effect apart from feeling slightly mellow for about an hour or so. Spent Sunday being very angry and totally unreasonable as my posting showed I'm ashamed to say, I didn't drink Sunday so I guess that's something. I'm a really stupid c*#t basically.

Nah brother... You're not stupid. It happens. Just remember if you feel the urge to take a drink, try to remember how you'll feel the next day. Before I got sober I did and felt the same way you did. One day at a time without a drink turns into two days then four days and so on. Don't beat yourself up over it. Like I've mentioned before... You can always start over and make it a new day. If you can keep that in mind you'll be fine. Just remember support is always here.

Thanks Rear view.
22-08-2017, 05:22 PM
good to see ypu all here, keeping at it. Thumbsup