Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-08-2017, 07:10 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(22-08-2017 03:53 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 05:39 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I drank Saturday evening a half of vodka and wine, no effect apart from feeling slightly mellow for about an hour or so. Spent Sunday being very angry and totally unreasonable as my posting showed I'm ashamed to say, I didn't drink Sunday so I guess that's something. I'm a really stupid c*#t basically.

Nah brother... You're not stupid. It happens. Just remember if you feel the urge to take a drink, try to remember how you'll feel the next day.

"Play the tape to the end". We all know how it will end up. A key turning point is when you project contemplated drinking, understand that it's still gonna wind up in the same shithole, and tell yourself "I don't want that" -- and then make it stick.

(22-08-2017 03:53 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Like I've mentioned before... You can always start over and make it a new day. If you can keep that in mind you'll be fine. Just remember support is always here.

Keep moving forward, understanding that every backward step is that: a backward step. Each one carries a risk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-08-2017, 10:48 PM
Just my two cents, call me weird but I've never drank. Tried a few sips of various stuff in my early teens but it tasted like cat pee so I've never touched a drop since, except on rare occasions when naughty ladies have tried to get me drunk at office parties and I've gone along with it to be a good sport, and as an experiment.
Can't say I enjoyed being sloshed though, it was okay for the first hour or two because I felt as if I was wrapped in a 'comfort blanket', but then the novelty wore off and I began feeling as if my consciousness had shrunk and no longer extended out into the universe, and I felt a bit mentally confined and got a headache, so I was glad to get my brain back next day when I'd sobered up..Smile
PS- nothing wrong with booze though, or Jesus wouldn't have changed water into wine; I suppose it's those who overdo it who get it a bad name.
He told his mates he'll be drinking wine with them in the afterlife, that's me out then (sniffle)
23-08-2017, 03:40 AM
(22-08-2017 10:48 PM)Propwash Wrote:  Just my two cents, call me weird but I've never drank. Tried a few sips of various stuff in my early teens but it tasted like cat pee so I've never touched a drop since, except on rare occasions when naughty ladies have tried to get me drunk at office parties and I've gone along with it to be a good sport, and as an experiment.
Can't say I enjoyed being sloshed though, it was okay for the first hour or two because I felt as if I was wrapped in a 'comfort blanket', but then the novelty wore off and I began feeling as if my consciousness had shrunk and no longer extended out into the universe, and I felt a bit mentally confined and got a headache, so I was glad to get my brain back next day when I'd sobered up..Smile
PS- nothing wrong with booze though, or Jesus wouldn't have changed water into wine; I suppose it's those who overdo it who get it a bad name.
He told his mates he'll be drinking wine with them in the afterlife, that's me out then (sniffle)

Good for you Prop I'd keep it that way alcohol dependency can have devastating consequences.
As for Jesus, if he did in fact exist ( and as a mythicist I think its a very big if, certainly in terms of him being as most imagine him ) of all the miracles attributed to him the water into wine is one if not the least likely to be true. You do realise of course that Jesus drank wine because in those days everyone did including the kids as it was safer than drinking water, had the Jesus story originated in northern Europe he'd have been a beer drinker instead.
Although perhaps rather inappropriate for this thread hopefully my brothers in adversity will forgive me for posting this for a few fits and giggles.....

TEN REASONS WHY BEER IS BETTER THAN JESUS.

10. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.

9. Beer doesn't tell you how to have sex.

8. Beer has never caused a major war.

7. They don't force Beer on minors who can't think for themselves.

6. When you have a Beer, you don't knock on people's doors trying to give it away.

5. Nobody's ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over his brand of Beer.

4. You don't have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.

3. There are laws saying Beer labels can't lie to you.

2. You can prove you have a Beer.

1. If you've devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
23-08-2017, 04:33 AM
(22-08-2017 10:48 PM)Propwash Wrote:  Just my two cents, call me weird but I've never drank. Tried a few sips of various stuff in my early teens but it tasted like cat pee so I've never touched a drop since, except on rare occasions when naughty ladies have tried to get me drunk at office parties and I've gone along with it to be a good sport, and as an experiment.

Count yourself lucky.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
24-08-2017, 06:50 AM
I'm just checking in and I am hoping everyone is doing okay.

I'm starting day 11...I don't think I've gone this long between drinks in literally years. I still think about it everyday, probably will for months (years? Sadcryface ) I imagine. I am still distracting myself with other things, and I am usually taking a nap for an hour each evening just to make any "empty" time just pass by.

My blood pressure seems to have started dropping, I check it almost every day in the morning before I take my blood pressure medicine. It's always been about 150-155/95-100 but over it last 3 days it seems to have dropped to about 145-150/90-95.

My muscles still ache everyday, worse in the evenings, like I have just finished a workout, I think my body is still trying to adjust. The last two times I had blood work done by my doctor (this is about 1-2 years ago) he said that I have a fatty liver. But I have also read that a fatty liver can repair itself and return to normal function within 2-3 weeks after quitting, so maybe in a week it'll finally go away. That's my hope anyway, otherwise I'm going to see my doctor.

I've decided to try milk thistle to help my liver along because it promotes liver cell growth, but I'm going to try it slowly, apparently milk thistle can effect the way other drugs are processed by the liver, it has known interactions with advil for example, which is the anti inflammatory I take to counteract the occasional side effects of my medication, and while my other medicine isn't on the "known" interaction list, I'm going to keep an eye on my blood pressure to make sure.

My mood continues to remain sullen, even though I shouldn't be. My wife said yesterday that she is proud of me, but she also said that I look very tired.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
24-08-2017, 02:21 PM
unsapien,

Hi, you are doing good. Thumbsup

Thanks for the BP info. I have much higher BP than yours (permanent meds) but maybe cutting down the booze will help?

Nothing today and didn't miss it.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
24-08-2017, 06:21 PM
(24-08-2017 06:50 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I'm just checking in and I am hoping everyone is doing okay.

I'm starting day 11...I don't think I've gone this long between drinks in literally years. I still think about it everyday, probably will for months (years? Sadcryface ) I imagine. I am still distracting myself with other things, and I am usually taking a nap for an hour each evening just to make any "empty" time just pass by.

My blood pressure seems to have started dropping, I check it almost every day in the morning before I take my blood pressure medicine. It's always been about 150-155/95-100 but over it last 3 days it seems to have dropped to about 145-150/90-95.

My muscles still ache everyday, worse in the evenings, like I have just finished a workout, I think my body is still trying to adjust. The last two times I had blood work done by my doctor (this is about 1-2 years ago) he said that I have a fatty liver. But I have also read that a fatty liver can repair itself and return to normal function within 2-3 weeks after quitting, so maybe in a week it'll finally go away. That's my hope anyway, otherwise I'm going to see my doctor.

I've decided to try milk thistle to help my liver along because it promotes liver cell growth, but I'm going to try it slowly, apparently milk thistle can effect the way other drugs are processed by the liver, it has known interactions with advil for example, which is the anti inflammatory I take to counteract the occasional side effects of my medication, and while my other medicine isn't on the "known" interaction list, I'm going to keep an eye on my blood pressure to make sure.

My mood continues to remain sullen, even though I shouldn't be. My wife said yesterday that she is proud of me, but she also said that I look very tired.

Congrats on Day 11, bud. Sullen or not, keep on keeping on. The way I see it, leaving alcohol is like leaving a lover -- it takes adjustment and time in order to get back to a healthy state of mind. Stay strong, brotha. It gets better.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-08-2017, 10:47 PM
it does get better.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
25-08-2017, 01:36 AM
(24-08-2017 06:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The way I see it, leaving alcohol is like leaving a lover -- it takes adjustment and time in order to get back to a healthy state of mind. Stay strong, brotha. It gets better.

reminds me of this:

Quote:Homer: I love you, honey.
Marge: Are you talking to me or the beer?
Homer: To you my bubbly, longnecked, beechwood aged lover.

Serisouly though, well done buddy. Keep it going Smile

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
25-08-2017, 04:49 AM
I used to drink quite a lot of vodka around 3 times a week, I think it was for a year or so.

My heart began skipping beats, this could have been unrelated but I'm a paranoid person so it made me quit smoking weed and cigs and drinking.
Drinking and smoking definitely accentuated the odd heart beat.

It wasn't instantaneous, but I just couldn't enjoy a joint or a drink while thinking about my own impending death so I just gave up. Giving up smoking was more difficult for me than drinking.
[+] 2 users Like PaulPablo's post