Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-07-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
<raises hand
I inherited compulsive behaviors from my dad, I do believe. I decided to quit in 1991 and it has been relatively painless since then. I quit everything at that time, save coffee and food.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like skyking's post
13-07-2017, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2017 12:42 AM by Cosmo.)
Good job man. Smile That's great! I'm thinking that's where I would like to get to is coffee and food. It seems I have to climb my way out of this hole that I dug for myself first though.

My grandfather on my mother's side is where the alcoholism comes from in our family. He would drink 26oz of 80 proof daily, and hide it by sipping wine in front of the TV. My mom knew, and pitied him. She said he was never mean, just pathetic; shart himself while passed out on the floor pathetic. Since knowing of this I make a point of NEVER getting drunk, but the amount which it takes to even get tipsy is growing to be somewhat alarming.

Anyways. Yeah.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
13-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Hi Cosmo,

By coincidence, I am just 3 days into an intended month's detox from the booze. Similar to your OP, it has just crept up on me and needs a clear out.

If you keep this thread going, it would be good to compare notes/support along the way?

ATB,

D
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
13-07-2017, 03:45 AM
(12-07-2017 08:14 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Have you ever had a struggle with the drink?

How did you fare? Or how are you faring?

Did a higher power come into play? How did you quit without the supposedly necessary higher power, if you did?
Hey Cosmo!

I have had a struggle with drink, albeit many years ago. I'm not that old now, [29 in 2 months], but around 10 years ago I fell very deep into a bit of a drinking problem. At the time, I was going going through some personal stuff along with pre-existing anxiety issues, which as the time were diagnosed, it's only now in hindsite I know that was part of it as well.

As I'd not long turned 18 around that time, I was out drinking the night away and having a good time. That start off only on a Friday night, but escalated to Saturday night....Sunday afternoon-closing time, and Monday-Friday all night as well, as I was basically drinking to escape my issues. At the time, I didn't think it was a problem, and whilst I drank a lot, I didn't go anything stupid or get arrested, plus always hung out with a friend who would basically look after me whilst I drank. I would also be drinking all afternoon/night everyday, and then going to work early in the morning as well. Luckily nobody there knew and I could hide it well, but it could have cost me my job.

For me personally, it all hit the fan one day, when I went to leave work...and I couldn't walk. Like literally I took one step outside the door and fell over. I called my friend to pick me up and sat there wondering what the hell was going on. After working it out a little bit, it turned out I hadn't slept in around 4 days, as I'd been up drinking all night....and then going straight to work. This for me was a bit of a wake up call, and I really dialed it back a bit. I would still go out, but only the once a week, and reduced the overall amount I would drink as well.

10 years later, and I very rarely drink at all, other than a few with my dad every few weeks, and even then it isn't a guarantee that I'll be going out as we're both busy with families/work.

I can only really say to do a bit of self reflection and try to reduce your drinking. Get help for any issues you are dealing with and go from there. There are humanist/atheist versions of the 12 step program if you need something like that, and to be fair I understand the support network for that is amazing, but it can be done by you alone if you take full responsibility for your actions and understand WHY you are drinking.

For me, I managed to resolve some of my personal issues, which did help but that only happened once I was sober/clean.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
13-07-2017, 06:25 AM
Yes, there are several secular recovery groups, and tons of info online as well. http://www.soberrecovery.com is a great clearinghouse for information. They have forums that I found very supportive, as well.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-07-2017, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2017 06:41 PM by Cosmo.)
How to know you're insane.

You drink, knowing that the first couple of sips will unleash a neurochemical beast, whose only thought is... "just one more. Just one more," and yet you drink anyway.

I drank today, having trouble deciphering which situation is more miserable... being drunk, or being sober.

I have reset a quit date starting this Saturday morning. I would like to attempt quitting, no holds barred and no excuses.

Really hope this attempt goes better than the last.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
13-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Get back n the horse and ride some more. As long as you're headed in the right direction, you'll make headway.

There will come a time, a moment, when you're able to tell your addict's voice to fuck off. At that point, your AV will remind you of these lapses.

Don't listen. Yesterday's mistakes are not tomorrow's story. Stay on the horse.

We can do this. You're not alone.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-07-2017, 01:09 AM
(13-07-2017 06:26 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  How to know you're insane.

You drink, knowing that the first couple of sips will unleash a neurochemical beast, whose only thought is... "just one more. Just one more," and yet you drink anyway.

I drank today, having trouble deciphering which situation is more miserable... being drunk, or being sober.

I have reset a quit date starting this Saturday morning. I would like to attempt quitting, no holds barred and no excuses.

Hi Cosmo,

There are some strategies to get started with. A first is to keep a diary and note what days you can do without having a drink. Then look back over a couple of weeks and see what's happening. Just one or two days a week free of booze is a big start. You don't have to change a life all at once. Thumbsup

Another is coffee. You mentioned coffee and food? Well they don't replace alcohol (not even near) but they do fill a gap. I took an interest in finding a great coffee and how to make it. Keeps the hands busy. Drinking Beverage

Baby steps.

ATB,

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
14-07-2017, 02:58 AM
(13-07-2017 06:26 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  How to know you're insane.

This is one of the reasons why I don't drink that much any more. I see drinking alcohol as "too get drunk". I like certain drinks over others, but if I'm thirsty I'll take a pepsi or something I actual think will satisfy that need. When I drink beer, I think "what's the point of having just one or two, might as well have a few more", then when you are drunk its "Well I'm drunk now to might as well carry on".

Can be a slippery slope, but stopping the drink can be done with a bit of will power. Sometimes it's hard if you set a date/day to start, might be easier if you just say "from right now, no more" and go from there.

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
14-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Just to add, as I can't edit:

Don't get me wrong I can handle my drink and always could, like I don't go falling asleep in bins or starting fights, I'd just be VERY drunk when I could have stopped earlier.

Didn't mean to make the impression that I'm not cool with drinking lol. I don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to, but will have like "set days" when I can drink, normally on a night our with friends, and I pack it in when they do, so we all go home together in/around the same level of merryness Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post