Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-02-2018, 05:42 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
I've been mostly sober the past few months ... a couple of slips due to emotions running hog-wild yadayadayada.

May start a daily check-in just to keep this thread on the front page.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-02-2018, 08:30 AM
I'm sober ... just for today.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Anyone else?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
02-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Me too.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
03-02-2018, 12:24 AM
(02-02-2018 10:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Anyone else?

I'll have to be in a week from now. At least, I've never missed a deadline because of drinking.

Dark cold January, a bank audit, then a GM audit, then our own internal audit.

Banks every 3 months, internal every year, GM every 5ish years.. never had all three in the same month.

But there's always gonna be an excuse.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
03-02-2018, 04:18 AM

Folks,

I've got a new 35ngs spirits pourer that works a treat. Much better then judging overgenerous glugs. Last night I fell asleep without finishing the second measure. Thumbsup

D.
04-02-2018, 09:40 PM
(12-07-2017 08:14 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Since I'm being vulnerable... I think I am. It's admitable. I don't like to get drunk, but I've gotten mellow and stayed there, most days, since Oct 2016, when I was involved in a car crash that, in short, almost killed me. I'm trying not to drink right now, and am realizing that not drinking continually and invariably draws me towards this feeling of misery, which I seem to have been casually drinking away for quite a while. I live in a house with 5, 20 something year old roommates. Beer is as water, wine is as coffee, and so it has gone for quite a time.

I posted earlier about Anhedonia. It was so easy for me to overlook what is likely the source of my mental lethargy, because the drink ignites within a person, an unwarranted contentedness that can only be achieved by artificial cascading releases of dopamine. I seem to have slid into a habit, without paying much attention to my behavior.

I was just trying to feel better I think.

Have you ever had a struggle with the drink?

How did you fare? Or how are you faring?

Did a higher power come into play? How did you quit without the supposedly necessary higher power, if you did?

If you're struggling right now with alcohol, my heart goes out to you. I didn't realize not drinking beer and wine was hard until I actively tried not to.

Regards. You're all lovely.

I am sure that you probably self examined all the options of what it is about that accident that has caused you to drink for relief.

So what is it?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
05-02-2018, 12:27 AM

I've strung together 26 years, 3 months, and 3 weeks worth of days - one day at a time.
It gets easier, it becomes the new normal. Yes

With cigarettes, however, not so good. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2018, 12:31 AM
(03-02-2018 12:24 AM)unsapien Wrote:  

I'll have to be in a week from now. At least, I've never missed a deadline because of drinking.

Dark cold January, a bank audit, then a GM audit, then our own internal audit.

Banks every 3 months, internal every year, GM every 5ish years.. never had all three in the same month.

But there's always gonna be an excuse.

I kept it a strict policy only to drink on days ending in 'y'. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Cosmo I understand where you're coming from. I was addicted to heroin for a few years and addiction, in any form is no joke. It started off as a way to make money, which I'm not proud to say. I knew a lot of people in my area were on the stuff and capitalized on that knowledge. Eventually after snorting and smoking it for a while I started shooting up daily and that lasted almost a year.

Drug addiction is a very serious struggle. Have you thought about joining a recovery program like AA or SMART Recovery?