Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
14-02-2018, 09:38 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(05-02-2018 12:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-02-2018 10:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Anyone else?

I've strung together 26 years, 3 months, and 3 weeks worth of days - one day at a time.
It gets easier, it becomes the new normal. Yes

With cigarettes, however, not so good. Weeping

I made a plan to quit smoking and it worked for me a few years ago.

I bought the nicotine gum, but i didn't intend to quit cold turkey and go straight to the gum.

I made notes of when I would smoke each cigarette each day. After i got all the little habits figured out, I began to replace every 2nd cigarette with gum, stretching the time between cigarettes to two hours, instantly cutting my smoking down to half as much my first day.

But then something happened. I would often forget that it was time to smoke, and when i realized it, it stretched the time between cigarettes even more. By the 3rd day I was smoking only 1/3 the amount of cigarettes. The urge to smoke became much less with the gum as a supplement, and by the end of the week I was down to 1 cigarette a day, which just so happened to be the 1st smoke of the day.

After a few more days, I easily quit completely and never smoked again. Having a plan helps a lot.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
18-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Day One again, tomorrow.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Thump I would say something encouraging like Hang in there man or Hey tomorrow's another day but...it would be hypocritical. But I wish you the best.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
19-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Day 3 for no booze, month 4 for cigarettes. Only side effect is horrendous insomnia.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
20-04-2018, 05:57 PM
I did the math last week. On April 25th my husband will have 3,000 days, one day at a time.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 3 users Like outtathereligioncloset's post
21-04-2018, 12:06 PM
My wife is happy when I can string a month together, which I have done a couple of times this winter but she's still happy to see me trying.

This hasn't turned out to be one of those months though. Confused

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
21-04-2018, 04:43 PM
(21-04-2018 12:06 PM)unsapien Wrote:  My wife is happy when I can string a month together, which I have done a couple of times this winter but she's still happy to see me trying.

This hasn't turned out to be one of those months though. Confused

Don't beat yourself up. Get back on the horse and ride a few more steps. Smile