Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
23-07-2017, 07:38 AM
RE: Dueling with drink?
(22-07-2017 07:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Weaning and cutting back do not work for me. One becomes two becomes six becomes ten. I know different approaches can work for different alcoholics, but it seems an awful lot like courting relapse to "cut back."

Unsapien and Cos, don't let your lapses define you. The path out of addiction is rarely straight and true. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, and keep headed in the right direction. Setbacks are not failure.

I totally agree with this. My "personal" opinion is if you are a problem drinker or an alcoholic "cutting back" generally doesn't cut it. Never did for me. In fact it made it worse. I was lucky when my rock bottom hit. I had nowhere else to go. That kind of left me with the only option of quitting cold turkey. That was six years ago.

Although I've been fortunate enough to not relapse don't ever let that stop you from your goal. Sometimes life gets in the way. Stress is real. If you can overcome that stress without ingesting something in your body then you are on the right path.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
23-07-2017, 09:08 AM
Regarding turning down drinks, I've always just told people that I have a problem with deinking and that it's best for me to avoid it. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't at least try to be understanding.
23-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Me too. I just say something along the lines of, "I can't drink any more because it started getting the best of me." So far so good. Sometimes people even want to get rid of the booze. I'm like nah it's my problem not everyone else's. Hanging out with people who are getting drunk gets boring pretty fast though.

Honestly, I'm a little perplexed by the don't quit just cutback position. I guess my own case was (is) so severe that just doesn't resonate with me. I'm so glad to have it out of my life!
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
23-07-2017, 09:37 AM
It's not been my way, but beating yourself up over repeatedly failing cold turkey is far from productive. I consider it a big step when someone asks the questions and seeks out help.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
23-07-2017, 09:38 AM
(23-07-2017 07:38 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(22-07-2017 07:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Weaning and cutting back do not work for me. One becomes two becomes six becomes ten. I know different approaches can work for different alcoholics, but it seems an awful lot like courting relapse to "cut back."

Unsapien and Cos, don't let your lapses define you. The path out of addiction is rarely straight and true. Keep putting one foot in front of the other, and keep headed in the right direction. Setbacks are not failure.

I totally agree with this. My "personal" opinion is if you are a problem drinker or an alcoholic "cutting back" generally doesn't cut it. Never did for me. In fact it made it worse. I was lucky when my rock bottom hit. I had nowhere else to go. That kind of left me with the only option of quitting cold turkey. That was six years ago.

Although I've been fortunate enough to not relapse don't ever let that stop you from your goal. Sometimes life gets in the way. Stress is real. If you can overcome that stress without ingesting something in your body then you are on the right path.

My first husband was okay until he had one drink. If he had that one drink he kept on till either the liquor ran out or his body quit. There was NO in between for him.

He did quit for a time but when he started again it was right back to where he left off. Within a couple months he was dead...drunk driving...thank goodness no one else was involved in the accident. He really believed it when his mother said that her Danny didn't have a problem. sigh...yeah he did, he really did.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Hug
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
23-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Hi Cosmo,

Are you still about? How are things going?

ATB,

D.
31-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Hey everyone!

I don't have long. I've been on vacation down in Florida, and failing miserably at staying sober. I'm from Canada, and Wifi has been spotty to non-existent so I've been relegated to sitting on beautiful beaches with no technology.

This is not the worst thing.

When I have time I'm going to look through all of your responses. You're all lovely. We're heading back to the beach shortly though.

In ways this vacation is exactly what I needed. In ways it also likely isn't. I'm going to make another attempt once I get back. I know I stand no chance surrounded by bars and beautiful women in paradise. I'm too shy to engage without as it currently stands.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing better with their sobriety than I. That would be great to hear.

Highest regards. Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
31-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Hi cosmo,

Your post sounds good to me, and those beaches. Smile

I'm doing good, apart from a little wine. A guy recommended Milk Thistle as a liver tonic, so I'm on that at the moment.

ATB,

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
31-07-2017, 05:58 PM
(31-07-2017 03:11 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Hey everyone!

I don't have long. I've been on vacation down in Florida, and failing miserably at staying sober. I'm from Canada, and Wifi has been spotty to non-existent so I've been relegated to sitting on beautiful beaches with no technology.

This is not the worst thing.

When I have time I'm going to look through all of your responses. You're all lovely. We're heading back to the beach shortly though.

In ways this vacation is exactly what I needed. In ways it also likely isn't. I'm going to make another attempt once I get back. I know I stand no chance surrounded by bars and beautiful women in paradise. I'm too shy to engage without as it currently stands.

Anyways, I hope everyone is doing better with their sobriety than I. That would be great to hear.

Highest regards. Smile

Get back home, get back on the horse, and ride some more. Adjust your plan to anticipate these sorts of temptations and triggers. And tell your AV to fuck off.

We can do this!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post