Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-08-2017, 12:34 PM
RE: Dueling with drink?
I'm home. Jumping back on my water stallion tomorrow, as my buzz carried over into today. Reading all of your responses now. Thank you for them. Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
04-08-2017, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2017 02:39 PM by Cosmo.)
Thank you all for the encouragement, and the wisdom, and the grace. This is so much more wonderful than any church I've been a part of. There's always judgement and pity when religious people come at me with arbitrary moral obligations. I sense none of that here. That's not what I need at all.

Before becoming an audio engineer I actually was aiming towards being a doctor. I was heavily interested in biochemistry and biosemiotics (still am,) and when I first started drinking, I found it's effects fascinating, so I can give a quick lowdown on how and why it does what it does. I noticed some curiousity, and I wrote a lengthy paper on it after all.

Alcohol is one of the most interesting, terrible drugs on earth, for several reasons:

1) Alcohol is a better solvent than water, which leads to point
2) Alcohol readily permeates every single tissue of the human body, which leads to your cells water shunting, which leads to
3) Copious urination (ADH) and a depletion of solutes, and subsequent malnutrition. The two reasons your body does not recognize the toxicity of alcohol and put up mental safeguards against the threat is that
4) a) Alcohol has calories. Easy to process ones in fact. Much easier than glucose. The caloric power of alcohol is astounding. They are not empty. This is why heavy alcoholics can go days without eating. Their liver has adapted so that alcohol is a preferential source of calories. Your body recognizes these calories, and is always looking to take the easiest route for everything. The human body is incredibly intelligent, and incredibly stupid, all at the same time. And so the liver preferentially turns towards the ingested alcohol as a source of energy, because it's a much more efficient form of energy. It does this by increasing the alcohol dehydrogenase and acetaldehyde dehydrogenase concentrations in the liver, so that it is ready to quickly process the calories. As a ready example, you can put ethanol in a properly engineered combustion engine. Good luck doing that with glucose.
B) Alcohol, because of its superpower solvent nature, readily permeates the blood brain barrier and infects almost every single synapse between almost every neuron. The principle set of neurotransmitters it messes with are your GABA and your Glutamine. One is inhibitory and one is excitatory, respectively. Alcohol is a GABA agonist (et al. Though this interaction is the most significant.), and essentially causes an all out assault on your GABA receptors. Your brain mistakes alcohol for GABA, and assumes it is overloaded with the neurotransmitter.

You may see where I'm going with this.

To compensate for what the brain perceives as an overload of GABA, depending on your genetics, one of two things will occur. Your body will either downgrade the amount of GABA receptors present in the brain, or produce less endogenous GABA.

This is where the problems start, and why alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. The addiction comes from your brain needing GABA to function correctly, but sensing that it doesn't have enough, due to the adaptations mentioned above. To your brain, alcohol is GABA. There is no difference, and if you have abused alcohol to the point of clinically significant adaptation, your body will revolt when you remove the livers new source of fuel and the brains new source of GABA. It can take years to reverse these adaptations.

And that is why alcoholism is incredibly difficult to beat. It's caloric nature causes metabolic adaptations, while its mind-altering nature causes neuroadaptations. I do not know of any drug that causes metabolic changes while messing with neurotransmitters.

If any of this wasn't clear please ask because I want this explanation to be crystal clear.

Thanks. Smile

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 4 users Like Cosmo's post
04-08-2017, 03:38 PM
I appreciate that post and the effort that went into it.
[+] 4 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
04-08-2017, 07:13 PM
My pleasure.

[Image: bill-nye-film-4.gif]

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
05-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Cosmo...et al

I'm not going anywhere.

Too all.. this clip wasn't about alcohol but it works....

too friends in the hole...

I had a weekend but I...cancelled it.

Instead, I'm gonna bake 7 grain bread (I've had the flour for months) clean the car (inside and out) play with my model steam engines, plant more lettuce & spinach.

Meditate

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
05-08-2017, 07:53 AM
Day 1 begins.

Owie. I've flopped into the bathtub. Think I'm gonna stay here.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
05-08-2017, 07:58 AM
That's a great little segment. Maybe I could be that guy one day.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
05-08-2017, 08:05 AM
(05-08-2017 07:53 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  Day 1 begins.

Day 1 begins.

Agreed.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
06-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Folks,

The idea of recording the days seems to be good. I did 4 days this week and then had a bourbon nightcap, maybe four drams. Now into the second day dry again. This is a very different experience from daily drinking, both better and worse somehow?

As a soother, I'm taking milk thistle and valerian every day, which seems to help and gives me something to do. Having something to do does seem to be a big part of not focussing on the booze.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
06-08-2017, 01:23 AM
(05-08-2017 08:05 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 07:53 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  Day 1 begins.

Day 1 begins.

Agreed.

Guys,

+1 from me. Thumbsup

D.
[+] 3 users Like Dworkin's post