Dueling with drink?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-08-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: Dueling with drink?
Made it. Good morning Vietnam. Smile

I typically used to use weed as my mental soother, but I've been clean off of that since the 23rd of July now. I'm sober in every possible capacity. The worst symptom yesterday was this weird combination of agitation and restlessness. I probably spent two hours just pacing around the island in my kitchen.

I drank everyday in Florida though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

+1 Smile and dropping another in the bucket.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cosmo's post
06-08-2017, 08:03 AM
I guess I'd channel some of that into excersise, but that's my answer for everything these days Tongue
Get out and walk, ride a bike, whatever.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
06-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Ive gone for a walk or two, did some push ups, and cleaned my room/laundry.

Now is the time when we dance.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
06-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Congrats on getting back on the train, Cos. It's hard the first few days for a few reasons: physical discomfort, anhedonia, for some anxiety. Stick it through. Keep your hands and body busy, and lose yourself in what it is you're doing if at all possible.

And update on my situation sees me on Day Four feeling well knowing that I haven't jumped back into the whirlpool. The hangover was bad and the temptation pretty strong, but not as strong as knowing that what I thought was a breakup wasn't, and what I thought I knew about myself was wrong. Moral of the story: don't be complacent.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-08-2017, 10:47 PM
(06-08-2017 07:51 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Congrats on getting back on the train, Cos. It's hard the first few days for a few reasons: physical discomfort, anhedonia, for some anxiety. Stick it through. Keep your hands and body busy, and lose yourself in what it is you're doing if at all possible.

And update on my situation sees me on Day Four feeling well knowing that I haven't jumped back into the whirlpool. The hangover was bad and the temptation pretty strong, but not as strong as knowing that what I thought was a breakup wasn't, and what I thought I knew about myself was wrong. Moral of the story: don't be complacent.

We're learning things about ourselves all the time. It's okay to be not okay. But it's not okay to stay there. I think as long as we pick ourselves up and learn a lesson from our actions, that is the most important thing.

Glad you're on the wagon with me bro. I can't sleep. I shouldn't be awake right now. I have to be up at 4am for work. I kept my mind and my hands busy most of the day by reading, and writing a book, in short, about why religion is doodoo. I actually hammered out almost 4 pages with citations, so I'm pretty happy with that.

And right as I say I can't sleep I yawn. Time to go shower and lay down I think.

Truthfully, I found some vodka in my room while cleaning today... and...

poured it down the drain. Tongue

Did I get you for a second there?

I made it through day 2. Big Grin

See y'all tomorrow.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
07-08-2017, 02:20 AM
(06-08-2017 07:43 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  Made it. Good morning Vietnam. Smile

I typically used to use weed as my mental soother, but I've been clean off of that since the 23rd of July now. I'm sober in every possible capacity. The worst symptom yesterday was this weird combination of agitation and restlessness. I probably spent two hours just pacing around the island in my kitchen.

I drank everyday in Florida though, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

+1 Smile and dropping another in the bucket.

Hi Cosmo,

Yes, I can identify with your first sentence. Oddly, it was a toke of herbal mixture that got me back into booze at one stage. The feeling of the 'high' triggered me for more high.

I would not recommend this to anyone, but one small trick I sometimes use is a couple of co-codamol painkillers. They are available in the UK over the counter. There is a very slight feeling with the codeine, just enough to take the edge off.

Something I would suggest is any kind of alternative remedy. I am booked for an hour of Reiki on Tuesday, but any kind of Shiatsu or just a massage will help. The aim is to get relaxed and not "restless". Also, deep breathing exercises can be done on our own. There are some at the website 'Uncommon Knowledge' and elsewhere on the web.

ATB,

D.
07-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Yeah I actually have found quitting to be a touch easier without the weed as well.

What I would like to know, and what is entirely beyond me, is why your mind decides by day 3 of sobriety that drinking is a good idea. I'm sitting here trying to bat away this gnawing craving that didn't exist in this form until today. It feels totally overwhelming.

I think this might be what compulsion feels like. Does anyone have any practical advice for dealing with that long moment where cravings seem to start trying to control you? I've heard it termed the AV, for alcohol voice. This feels more like an AG, an alcohol ghost trying to seep into the spot where my will exists so that it can wander me over to the liquor store like a zombie.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
07-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Yes, when my AV pipes up, I do a couple of things. One thing I do is tell it, "Hey, let's talk in 30 minutes. Let's make a date." By the time we get there, I'm busy and have moved on.

Another thing I do is say to myself, "You've got one minute to list five things you're grateful for. GO!" That reminds me why that voice is not worth hearing.

Another thing I do is start thinking of lyrics. I write songs, so when I'm in the throes of an urge or trigger, I'll start thinking up rhyming couplet addressing my feelings for that very moment. Sometimes it works, even.

On a more practical level, I stocked up on sparkling water at home, so that when I had a craving, I could pop a can of it open and help get some of the physical habits squared away.

After you do these things for a while, what happens is that the AV gets feeling ignored and talks less. It takes work. It's not easy and we have all had to white-knuckle it often enough.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
08-08-2017, 03:23 AM
(07-08-2017 07:51 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Yeah I actually have found quitting to be a touch easier without the weed as well.

What I would like to know, and what is entirely beyond me, is why your mind decides by day 3 of sobriety that drinking is a good idea. I'm sitting here trying to bat away this gnawing craving that didn't exist in this form until today. It feels totally overwhelming.

I think this might be what compulsion feels like. Does anyone have any practical advice for dealing with that long moment where cravings seem to start trying to control you? I've heard it termed the AV, for alcohol voice. This feels more like an AG, an alcohol ghost trying to seep into the spot where my will exists so that it can wander me over to the liquor store like a zombie.

Cosmo,

Totally understand. The "good idea" voice is the turning point every time. It is also there with the 'have another one' after we have taken a dram. Yes, it is compulsion.

Thump's idea of sparkling water is a good one. I have San Pellegrino and a selection of fruit flavours for a drink with ice. The carbonation seems to fill a gap. Also the old standby of coffee is always there, if you can handle the caffeine.

Another thing is to have a schedule where alcohol is out for a while. For example, turning up to my Reiki session smelling of booze would not be a good idea. Shocking

A last thought is about reward. If we say a firm 'No' to the voice, then it does (in my experience) tend to fade. It will come back later, but it is not permanent.

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
08-08-2017, 05:39 AM
(07-08-2017 07:51 PM)Cosmo Wrote:  Yeah I actually have found quitting to be a touch easier without the weed as well.

I've never tried weed in my entire life, I'm not sure yet if I'll try it if it gets legalized next year...I've always figured one addiction is enough.

As for the "AV" , after 2 or 3 days my brain usually says "...hey good for you, 3 days in row, you deserve a reward for your efforts...nudge, nudge..."

I calm it down by cooking something...something from scratch, that takes like an hour to make, like bread, or stew, or spaghetti sauce, or chili.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post