Dumb And Getting Dumber

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Dumb And Getting Dumber
(16-07-2017 02:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  Without it, you can go back to horse and buggy times.

Cave more likely.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
16-07-2017, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2017 06:14 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(16-07-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  The lack of a college degree does not make someone dumb.

It doesn't make someone smart either.

Look, I didn't graduate from college, but I also read a lot. Not many of the people I know in my personal life do that, and their opinions on a wide range of issues suffer accordingly. Some of them can barely carry on an intelligent conversation.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
16-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Guess we should tell all of the people at MIT they were just wasting their time turning into angry women and wimpy men.

http://archive.boston.com/news/education...echnology/

http://archive.boston.com/news/education...50/health/

http://archive.boston.com/news/education...50/energy/

http://archive.boston.com/news/education...portation/

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
17-07-2017, 12:30 AM
(16-07-2017 02:16 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  So...how does that make them dumb?

There are different ways to learn. Apprenticeships, academies etc.

Sure, that's what Pol Pot thought of higher education also.

Suffice to say, without higher education, fewer people will get well paying jobs. A country finding higher education to be hurtful, can shake hands with the third of the Third worlds in one or two generations.

These people are dumb, there's no denying it.

Oh, Mao though the same. During the cultural revolution you were arrested for wearing fucking glasses. Because that was a sign of being part of the (way too much useless education!) burgeoisie.

The fact that LDH equates (excellent) technicians who can dismember (and put together) complex machinery with engineers/scientists who are designing these things shows that he knows little about these topics. He should google the difference between "synthesis" and "analysis" for a change, but i guess those words smell too much of formal education for him. There is a reason why companies are demanding a formal scientific eduaction (including a degree) of some of their employees. Almost as if they know something LDH doesnt.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 4 users Like Deesse23's post
17-07-2017, 12:46 AM
(16-07-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  There are different ways to learn. Apprenticeships, academies etc.

Learn from who?
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
17-07-2017, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 01:04 AM by TheBear.)
Is it really about the books, or could it be about something else? I believe it's a bit more nuanced than textbooks.

Any guesses?
17-07-2017, 01:06 AM
(17-07-2017 12:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The fact that LDH equates (excellent) technicians who can dismember (and put together) complex machinery with engineers/scientists who are designing these things shows that he knows little about these topics. He should google the difference between "synthesis" and "analysis" for a change, but i guess those words smell too much of formal education for him. There is a reason why companies are demanding a formal scientific eduaction (including a degree) of some of their employees. Almost as if they know something LDH doesnt.

This issue and split between voters isn't about knowledge or skills. It has never been about it. It's about beliefs and values. LDH made it very clear that what he doesn't like about college isn't that it makes people smarter or more knowledgeable. He dislike college education because its sub-culture and cursus provides confidence to women and tempers men (I know its a massive oversimplification, but that's a way to illustrate it). It's about the supremacy of a form of old school ''blue colar'' leadership with a strong overtone of machismo and xenophobia not about education, science or knowledge.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
17-07-2017, 01:41 AM
It's both hilarious and sad. Not to mention that it might be a sign on some deep issues as it's dictators and their regimes who think bad of higher education (Mao, Pol Pot, Nazis).

I wonder what Adorno would have to say about it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-07-2017, 06:06 AM
(17-07-2017 01:06 AM)epronovost Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 12:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  The fact that LDH equates (excellent) technicians who can dismember (and put together) complex machinery with engineers/scientists who are designing these things shows that he knows little about these topics. He should google the difference between "synthesis" and "analysis" for a change, but i guess those words smell too much of formal education for him. There is a reason why companies are demanding a formal scientific eduaction (including a degree) of some of their employees. Almost as if they know something LDH doesnt.

This issue and split between voters isn't about knowledge or skills. It has never been about it. It's about beliefs and values. LDH made it very clear that what he doesn't like about college isn't that it makes people smarter or more knowledgeable. He dislike college education because its sub-culture and cursus provides confidence to women and tempers men (I know its a massive oversimplification, but that's a way to illustrate it). It's about the supremacy of a form of old school ''blue colar'' leadership with a strong overtone of machismo and xenophobia not about education, science or knowledge.

I disagree (on the underlined part). He doesnt despise college because it (what you referred to) "deforms" your character, but because it deforms your character and you can get your skills elsewhere. He is essentially claiming that college is redundant and harmful.

My evidence:
(16-07-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  There are different ways to learn. Apprenticeships, academies etc.

College is a joke and is creating a generation of angry women and wimpy "men."

I dont doubt that his dad was probably a top notch technician without a degree.

What LDH conveniently (or ignorantly?) forgot to tell that there is a fundamental difference in the goal of an higher education and being educated to be a technician. Technicians by and large are educated to understand how existing things work, engineers/scientists are educated to understand why things work (but not in the stupid religious way of "why"). Thus making it more easy for the latter to design entirely new things or combining existing designs into something new.
The education is not better or worse but different. That does not mean a good technician is not better than a horrible engineer/scientist. Its basically comparing apples and oranges. LDH would have known this if he ever had set a foot into a college or university. He also would known that the knowledgable guys there have alot of respect for technicians, and vice versa. Its not about blue collar vs white collar, technicians vs scientists/engineers. Its about knowing what you have been taught to do and what not (by education) and being good at this.

But i agree with you on one thing: He has a problem with the (perceived by him) "sub-culture". His problem are *whimpy* college boys who dont have the balls (unlike himself) to boot up their PC and let the whole world know how big his balls are, at least thats what he thinks He did this to show off his blue collar manlihood, which he is so proud of (and thats why he despises many people with a higher education than himself). An internet macho...which doesnt impress me much.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 7 users Like Deesse23's post
17-07-2017, 06:15 AM
(16-07-2017 01:47 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  So...how does that make them dumb?

There are different ways to learn. Apprenticeships, academies etc.

The lack of a college degree does not make someone dumb.

Plenty of mechanics, electricians, builders and craftsmen with no formal education that can do things the average person could only dream of. You can't be stupid and tear down a diesel engine into 7,000 parts and put it back together again. My father didn't even graduate high school and was the lead CNC machinist for Rockwell International, on the MAZAK laser that made space shuttle parts. Also the B-1B Bomber program.

Then you have dipshits with master's degrees that can't find a job, working at Starbucks and can't master how to make a latte correctly and have to cry in the back room after they get yelled at by a customer.

College is a joke and is creating a generation of angry women and wimpy "men."

Colleges aren't the problem.

The problem is the same as any computer program.

GIGO

The colleges can't be expected to educate morons.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post