Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Dumb Atheist Sayings
It's easy to laugh at the dumb things that Christians say. That isn't much of a challenge. It also doesn't help us not parrot some of the worse ideas that others have come up with. So for a little spring cleaning and self-examination let's dust off some of the stupid and try to eliminate some of the more cringeworthy phrases.

To kick things off, here are a few of my least favorites:

I'll think for you. Congratulations, you scored passive agressive points against the theist with a phrase that makes me think you'll have a hard time following through on it. We're all very impressed.

It's entirely possible that the believer who gave you the "I'll pray for you." line that prompted this meant nothing more than their cultural variant of 'Oh god that sucks! I hope you get better!' and you just slapped them down for being decent. Well done! Thumbsup In the best case you've just had a brief exchange of passive agressive stupidity that has convinced neither side of anything and has convinced all onlookers that you're both fools.

The correct response is, "OK, thanks." Unless you're really worried about their prayers that is.

We're all born atheists. Wrong. We're all born with empty little heads that soak up information from our environment. The thinking part that is our mind forms from this and if our environment is full of religiosity then our minds are "born" as believers.

Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. Their incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
14-05-2016, 07:59 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
I'll think for you.
The correct response is, "OK, thanks." Unless you're really worried about their prayers that is.

B-but, can I still be sarcastic and do a Rolleyes as I say "OK, thanks."?

(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
We're all born atheists. Wrong. We're all born with empty little heads that soak up information from our environment. The thinking part that is our mind forms from this and if our environment is full of religiosity then our minds are "born" as believers.

Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. They're incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.

Kinda.

Behavioural/evolutionary psychologists are still studying this but the 'Blank Slate' view isn't as popular as it used to be.
The 'thinking part' is innate to the configuration of the system and not an operating system or application that is externally uploaded.

I'd agree that the 'environmental-religiosity' app gets uploaded (as does the religion-specific data) but there must be a 'propensity to believe' built into the evolved design i.e. empty is not really empty.

So the question is whether the biological configuration is prone to belief or scepticism as an innate risk assessment mechanism.

I suspect it's a bit of both.

I think we can say that we are not born with specific beliefs but we are born with an ability to believe and disbelieve.

Consider

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
14-05-2016, 09:28 AM
(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I'll think for you.

I dunno. I mean, sure, the "I'll think for you" line is douchey. But is the correct response actually to thank them? I mean, what are we thanking them for? Is "thank you" the correct response to "I'll scratch my ass for you?"
[+] 6 users Like Reltzik's post
14-05-2016, 09:30 AM
(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We're all born atheists. Wrong. We're all born with empty little heads that soak up information from our environment. The thinking part that is our mind forms from this and if our environment is full of religiosity then our minds are "born" as believers.

Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. Their incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.

Atheist = not a theist.

We are all, in fact, born atheist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 13 users Like Chas's post
14-05-2016, 09:43 AM
I personally find it annoying when atheists define themselves solely as agnostics and never admit to also being an atheist.

"No, no, no, not an atheist. I'm agnostic"

Or when a straight up atheist starts talking about all kinds of ghosts, demons, angels, or any supernatural woo. Grates on my nerves.

"Some old guy died in the house 100 yrs ago and I see his ghost every once in a while."

I mean, the rational thoughts and skepticism that put you in the atheist camp should overlap into other areas of thought, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
14-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Y'know what I hate? When an atheist says or insinuates that all believers are morons.
[+] 14 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2016, 09:48 AM
How do you respond if someone says I was also born not believing in gravity? I'm not completely sure but I suspect I didn't even believe in my mom's vagina despite incredible evidence that I just popped out of it.
[+] 3 users Like I'mFred's post
14-05-2016, 09:53 AM
(14-05-2016 09:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Y'know what I hate? When an atheist says or insinuates that all believers are morons.

What if you just think it but keep it to yourself?

I was in a public hot tub of all places and this guy was going on about the resurrection of Christ I was just listening but I was thinking really loudly "wow this guy is stupid".

How could you not?
14-05-2016, 10:29 AM
(14-05-2016 09:53 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 09:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Y'know what I hate? When an atheist says or insinuates that all believers are morons.

What if you just think it but keep it to yourself?

I was in a public hot tub of all places and this guy was going on about the resurrection of Christ I was just listening but I was thinking really loudly "wow this guy is stupid".

How could you not?

Therefore all theists are stupid?
14-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Well

They all believe something stupid. Look at Ben Carson. The guy is a neurosurgeon, right? I don't have the aptitude for that I must confess but when he says the earth is 5000 years old and doesn't believe in evolution which IS biology the duality at play is incredible. I can't connect a clear a to b dot from theism to stupidity though but it is quacking like a duck. I think less of the person's critical thinking skills and that's tied in with intellect but that's as far as I can go. But then there's a base part of me that just laughs inside and thinks yes it means you're stupid...you know, like a gut reaction. I know it's not that simple and you're right though. So the duality is at play in me too I guess. Hmmm...

Ironic
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post