Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2016, 06:18 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
My problem with "I'll pray for you!" is that around here you're expected to be grateful and show it. Same with "Have a blessed day!" Blessed by what, lady?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-05-2016, 06:27 PM
(15-05-2016 06:18 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  My problem with "I'll pray for you!" is that around here you're expected to be grateful and show it. Same with "Have a blessed day!" Blessed by what, lady?

Yes, same here but not just be grateful also return the blessing. I refuse to do that.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2016, 06:37 PM
(15-05-2016 06:18 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  My problem with "I'll pray for you!" is that around here you're expected to be grateful and show it. Same with "Have a blessed day!" Blessed by what, lady?
Meh. Anyone can bless anything. At least, as an ordained FSM clergyman, I'll bless anything I'm paid to.

If someone wants to pray for me or bless me, let 'em. I've even had (non-Christian) native Americans bless me. I always (depending on context) thank them for their good wishes.

Oh crap!
15-05-2016, 06:40 PM
(15-05-2016 06:27 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Yes, same here but not just be grateful also return the blessing. I refuse to do that.

And that's when their status as a loving Christian comes out clearly. "Nice snarl, lady."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Quote:My own studies were as a Wisconsin Synod evangelical Lutheran

So as an adult, that's where you DECIDED to go to college?
15-05-2016, 07:00 PM
(15-05-2016 06:52 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:My own studies were as a Wisconsin Synod evangelical Lutheran

So as an adult, that's where you DECIDED to go to college?
Yes, that's how I was brought up. I also studied American history at a Catholic college and journalism at a state university. Interestingly, the Catholics were less doctrinaire than the Lutherans.

Oh crap!
15-05-2016, 07:14 PM
(15-05-2016 01:42 PM)morondog Wrote:  Something that annoys the fuck outta me is the way that we're forced to use language in a really precise manner because some twerp is gonna twist it if not.

Yes! There seems to be an inherent pattern of dishonesty that runs through the core of apologetics.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
15-05-2016, 07:15 PM
So at the time you didn't just intuitively know it was bullshit but rather it took a long process of debate points to get you there?
15-05-2016, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2016 07:26 PM by jabeady.)
(15-05-2016 07:15 PM)ImFred Wrote:  So at the time you didn't just intuitively know it was bullshit but rather it took a long process of debate points to get you there?
No, actually it was my participation in the town's community theater one summer. The play was "Inherit the Wind." It wasn't an epiphany, but it did the job.

Edit: I've noted elsewhere that religion is like the old Nuclear Deterrence through Mutually Assured Destruction; it makes perfect sense so long as you're involved in it. Sometimes the least - likely thing allows you to see it from the outside, and it's not something you can force.

Oh crap!
[+] 2 users Like jabeady's post
15-05-2016, 07:23 PM
(15-05-2016 03:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit I'm not fond of the whole "we are all born atheists" argument.

We are all born unbelievers. That's really not the same. We're also not aware of color. Does that mean we don't believe in blue?

Atheism is a tag or label.

It is not a favorite of mine, either.

My problem with it is illustrated by the discussion in this thread. The "born atheist" argument depends on definitions that are open to interpretation and the science regarding infants, learning, etc. is still developing.

I guess I'm saying that it just doesn't seem to be as strong as some of the other arguments.

I do think that a person that has the proper knowledge and experience could use the "born atheist" argument. I just think it would be better to focus one's energy elsewhere.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post