Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2016, 11:10 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(14-05-2016 10:56 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Well

They all believe something stupid. Look at Ben Carson. The guy is a neurosurgeon, right? I don't have the aptitude for that I must confess but when he says the earth is 5000 years old and doesn't believe in evolution which IS biology the duality at play is incredible. I can't connect a clear a to b dot from theism to stupidity though but it is quacking like a duck. I think less of the person's critical thinking skills and that's tied in with intellect but that's as far as I can go. But then there's a base part of me that just laughs inside and thinks yes it means you're stupid...you know, like a gut reaction. I know it's not that simple and you're right though. So the duality is at play in me too I guess. Hmmm...

Ironic

Some theists believe the universe is 6,000 years old and some do not. Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon. Does this redeem any intelligence in your mind?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Depending on the context, I usually translate "I'll pray for you" as "You have my best wishes," and I thank them.

Theist/Atheist is routinely and most commonly used in reference to those who are capable of (non)belief. No one is born with this ability, and the argument that we are born atheist is mere semantics with no meaningful substance.

Atheist v Agnostic? I prefer Non-believer. It seems to encompass both, and I often become confused about any perceived difference between the two.

Are theists stupid? No, they are, however, honestly sincere in varying degrees of zealousness. A quote I once heard about the idea of Nuclear Defense based on Mutually Assured Destruction seems to apply here: "It makes sense only if you believe in it."

Oh crap!
14-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Of course. That's what I'm saying.

I understand that many theists are smart and certainly much smarter than me.

But I still giggle at them behind their backs. I just can't help myself.
14-05-2016, 11:25 AM
(14-05-2016 09:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Y'know what I hate? When an atheist says or insinuates that all believers are morons.

Can I say or insinuate all theists are gullible? Yes

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
14-05-2016, 11:25 AM
(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  We're all born atheists. Wrong. We're all born with empty little heads that soak up information from our environment. The thinking part that is our mind forms from this and if our environment is full of religiosity then our minds are "born" as believers.

Anybody who can't understand the basic concepts doesn't count. Their incapable of forming an opinion. It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.
I feel the need to vocally back up what Chas said because I think it is important. Just like we aren't born democrat or republican, we are certainly not born theists. So if you aren't a theist, what are you? An atheist. The simple definition of atheism as "not theism" Is important. Especially because so many religious people misunderstand what atheism is (and think it's some sort of religion).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 7 users Like Adrianime's post
14-05-2016, 11:36 AM
"The Bible is just a book of fairy tales."

That phrase often comes across as infantilizing and condescending. Many believers think of fairy tales as for kids (even though this isn't quite accurate), get offended, and don't bother listening. I try to call the religious stories fictional or mythological or fable or metaphorical.

When someone says "I'll pray for you," my response is "thanks for keeping me in your thoughts." Unless pushed, or unless it's obvious that the person is trying to insult. Then I'm not so polite.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
(14-05-2016 11:25 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I feel the need to vocally back up what Chas said because I think it is important. Just like we aren't born democrat or republican, we are certainly not born theists. So if you aren't a theist, what are you? An atheist. The simple definition of atheism as "not theism" Is important. Especially because so many religious people misunderstand what atheism is (and think it's some sort of religion).

Exactly!

(14-05-2016 07:27 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  It's as meaningful as including goats, ferns and rocks amongst our ranks and it makes us sound desperate enough that we had to recruit from the under 2 demographic. If it's still in diapers it doesn't count.

The point is not about having babies on our side or prove that atheists are numerous. The point is to show that religion is taught and being a Christian is not something that just comes naturally. I actually had a Christian once tell me that even if he were born in India or Japan, he'd still become a Christian. Fate and all.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 6 users Like undergroundp's post
"How do I convince him/her that there is no god" (or that there is no whatever other religious concept)
"How do I convert a theist to atheism..."

When did it become your job to convince anybody or to "convert anybody to atheism". Please do not be an atheist of the obnoxious type.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 5 users Like Leerob's post
14-05-2016, 11:45 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2016 11:49 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(14-05-2016 09:53 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(14-05-2016 09:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Y'know what I hate? When an atheist says or insinuates that all believers are morons.

What if you just think it but keep it to yourself?

I was in a public hot tub of all places and this guy was going on about the resurrection of Christ I was just listening but I was thinking really loudly "wow this guy is stupid".

I wrote "all believers" for a reason. Did the object of your contempt speak for all Christians? Did he represent them in your thinking?

I think you'll find your answer there, hope that helps.

(14-05-2016 11:25 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Can I say or insinuate all theists are gullible? Yes

You can say -- or insinuate -- whatever you wish Yes. I'm not the Speech Police, I'm just not keen on overbroad generalizations like the one I mentioned.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
14-05-2016, 12:07 PM
(14-05-2016 11:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  Of course. That's what I'm saying.

I understand that many theists are smart and certainly much smarter than me.

But I still giggle at them behind their backs. I just can't help myself.

Yeah, I understand. I sometimes giggle at atheists for their understanding of my culture and beliefs. I think they're incorrect about me, but I still respect that they're intelligent people. Most of them just haven't been exposed to my world and their lack of exposure doesn't make them stupid.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post