Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2016, 05:04 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(17-05-2016 11:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(16-05-2016 04:57 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Oh crap!
Dude, why do you take the time to write "Oh crap!" at the end of all your messages? In all honesty it appears as a rude way to interact with others and makes it seem like you are trying to be condescending or something. But I can't understand why you do it.

Edit: If you mean to have that as your signature, you can set that up on the User Control Panel.
I like it and I did.

Oh crap!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2016, 05:09 PM
(17-05-2016 05:04 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 11:36 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Dude, why do you take the time to write "Oh crap!" at the end of all your messages? In all honesty it appears as a rude way to interact with others and makes it seem like you are trying to be condescending or something. But I can't understand why you do it.

Edit: If you mean to have that as your signature, you can set that up on the User Control Panel.
I like it and I did.

Oh crap!
That's too brief for me to understand as I've become a very technical person who doesn't like to make assumptions on ambiguity. If you want to elaborate, go ahead. If not, that's fine too.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
18-05-2016, 05:19 AM
(17-05-2016 05:09 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 05:04 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I like it and I did.

Oh crap!
That's too brief for me to understand as I've become a very technical person who doesn't like to make assumptions on ambiguity. If you want to elaborate, go ahead. If not, that's fine too.
OK

Oh crap!
18-05-2016, 05:38 AM
(17-05-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You mean the life you see in front of you is functionally identical to atheism, but that's not the life I see. Because clearly we're not looking at the same things.

No, he said that there is no evidence that any god has a visible effect on the universe.

(17-05-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I see a life functionally identical to my theism, unavoidably in every area of my life that's truly important.
A person is entitled to their belief. However if you want to convince us to believe as you do, you are going to have to provide evidence that your belief is true.

(17-05-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I see nothing identical to atheism, in a human life, in which it's most fundamental desire is the pursuit of truth and meaning. Nothing identical to atheism in a life not governed by a desire to survive, but in finding something to live for. Or an existence plagued by that nagging suspicion that there's something more to it, a chord that's faintly heard, but never fully conceived.
No one claimed that atheism is equivalent to human life. That was your Stawman Fallacy.

(17-05-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Only a handful of people such as yourself see the life in front of them as functionally identical to atheism, and I'm not one of them.
Bandwagon Fallacy.

(17-05-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And I think those that see a life in front of them as identical to atheism are just sadly confused, though you likely imagine this is the other way around.
He stated that we could see no evidence for god in the natural world.
He asked you to provide evidence of your belief in a god that affects that world.
He stated that a god that had no visible effect was equivalent to atheism.
In other words: If a god has no effect, it may as well not exist.

We await your proof.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-05-2016, 05:51 AM
(18-05-2016 05:19 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 05:09 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  That's too brief for me to understand as I've become a very technical person who doesn't like to make assumptions on ambiguity. If you want to elaborate, go ahead. If not, that's fine too.
OK

Oh crap!

There is usually a line over someone's signature. For some reason, it says "Oh crap!" in the usual space for the content of the post instead of an area for the signature.

☆☆☆
18-05-2016, 06:31 AM
(18-05-2016 05:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  [quote]No, he said that there is no evidence that any god has a visible effect on the universe.

That question perhaps means something more to you than it does to me. I can’t even decipher what a visible effect here would even look like. Perhaps we observe matter behaving in a way previously unobserved, or thought impossible, wouldn’t we just say we discovered some previously unknown properties of the universe?

In regards to a designed object like my iPhone, are there distinct visible effects of it’s creators in regards to the inner universe of the phone, separate from the visible effects of the phone itself? Will I find a Steve Job’s particle?

In reality the visible effects of it’s creator, and visible effects of the universe itself are not distinct properties. In this sense God's visible effect, is the universe itself, the totality of effects in the universe, which is ultimately his creation, the same way we might say that every element of a novel, is ultimately sourced to it’s author. The entirety of the novel is a visible effect of it’s author.

The difference between theism and any meaningful atheism is the difference between seeing it all in it’s totality, as a product of some cosmic accident, nihilistic at it’s core, and seeing it endowed with meaning, here for a purpose. The latter is what I believe, and sustains my beliefs as whole.

Atheists tend to ask questions in regards to a god, that no-one believes in, or at least I don’t. A sort of celestial super-object or divine UFO, in pursuit of traces of ectoplasm he might have left at a scene. That seems to be the sort of God they have in mind, that I don’t believe in, anymore than they do.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-05-2016, 07:15 AM
(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That question perhaps means something more to you than it does to me. I can’t even decipher what a visible effect here would even look like.

If a god produces no visible effect, why worship them?

If a god cannot be proven to exist, how do you know you are worshipping the correct god? Why is one hypothetical god better than another?

If the holy texts of a religion are proven wrong, via science, archaeology, failed prophecy, etc., then on what basis do you justify a god's existence?

(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps we observe matter behaving in a way previously unobserved, or thought impossible, wouldn’t we just say we discovered some previously unknown properties of the universe?

Yes.

(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In regards to a designed object like my iPhone, are there distinct visible effects of it’s creators in regards to the inner universe of the phone, separate from the visible effects of the phone itself? Will I find a Steve Job’s particle?

If we chose, we could reliably verify that Steve Job's existed. With modern technology and civilization, we can find an impressive amount of evidence for a person's existence.

Think about that. Modern humans have been around for 100,000 years, minimum. (Maybe as long as 200,000, but certainly 100,000.) Mankind was ignored for what, 90,000 years? 95,000 years? Christ was supposedly born 2000 years ago.

After 98,000 years, why not wait 2,000 more and have the savior born in a time where it could be reliably documented?

Or even better, why not appear to unbelievers, like Pontius Pilate? Or the Roman Senate? Why appear to a bunch of apostles hiding in the dark, after abandoning you, when you could pop into the Roman Senate?

(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In reality the visible effects of it’s creator, and visible effects of the universe itself are not distinct properties. In this sense God's visible effect, is the universe itself, the totality of effects in the universe, which is ultimately his creation, the same way we might say that every element of a novel, is ultimately sourced to it’s author. The entirety of the novel is a visible effect of it’s author.

Ah, Creation-demands-a-creator. At best, at the very best, that gives you a first-cause god that has ignored humanity since. That is not a being that cares about or even notices humanity.

(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The difference between theism and any meaningful atheism is the difference between seeing it all in it’s totality, as a product of some cosmic accident, nihilistic at it’s core, and seeing it endowed with meaning, here for a purpose. The latter is what I believe, and sustains my beliefs as whole.

There is no such thing as "meaningful atheism". You know that. Atheism stops at non-belief.

Yes, some atheists are nihilists. Many aren't. You could try asking instead of projecting your own opinions. Some atheists are grateful for their lives and appreciate the world. Some don't. Some atheists find, make or choose a purpose for their lives. Some don't.

I find the idea that this life is a prelude to salvation/damnation to be nihilistic. You are living for death. Hoping for a heavenly afterlife when most people have no idea what such a thing would consist of. Striving to avoid an eternal damnation more unjust than any mortal crime could be.

(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Atheists tend to ask questions in regards to a god, that no-one believes in, or at least I don’t. A sort of celestial super-object or divine UFO, in pursuit of traces of ectoplasm he might have left at a scene. That seems to be the sort of God they have in mind, that I don’t believe in, anymore than they do.

No, atheists tend to ask questions that most believers don't want to hear, let alone answer.

How do you determine that a god is the correct god to worship?
How do you determine that a god exists?

Without evidence, how do you determine the truth?

Why are the Greek gods not real? The Egyptian pantheon? Norse? Native American beliefs? Why is christianity true and islam false?

Were David Koresh and the Branch Davidians correct? Why not?
What about the Mormons? Deluded by a known conman?

Maybe Jim Jones was right after all.

Are you going to drink the Kool-Aid or ask for proof?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 10 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-05-2016, 07:43 AM
(17-05-2016 02:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  Please just answer the question in one sentence: Does God interact with the universe and can you supply an example? Also, is your belief just a belief that arose from your squirelly brain, or do you have a *reason* for it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-05-2016, 08:09 AM
(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That question perhaps means something more to you than it does to me. I can’t even decipher what a visible effect here would even look like. Perhaps we observe matter behaving in a way previously unobserved, or thought impossible, wouldn’t we just say we discovered some previously unknown properties of the universe?

In regards to a designed object like my iPhone, are there distinct visible effects of it’s creators in regards to the inner universe of the phone, separate from the visible effects of the phone itself? Will I find a Steve Job’s particle?

In reality the visible effects of it’s creator, and visible effects of the universe itself are not distinct properties. In this sense God's visible effect, is the universe itself, the totality of effects in the universe, which is ultimately his creation, the same way we might say that every element of a novel, is ultimately sourced to it’s author. The entirety of the novel is a visible effect of it’s author.

The difference between theism and any meaningful atheism is the difference between seeing it all in it’s totality, as a product of some cosmic accident, nihilistic at it’s core, and seeing it endowed with meaning, here for a purpose. The latter is what I believe, and sustains my beliefs as whole.

Atheists tend to ask questions in regards to a god, that no-one believes in, or at least I don’t. A sort of celestial super-object or divine UFO, in pursuit of traces of ectoplasm he might have left at a scene. That seems to be the sort of God they have in mind, that I don’t believe in, anymore than they do.

1/10 for persuasiveness
10/10 nonsense
3/10 entertaining (the judges argued a bit on that).

Laugh out load

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2016, 08:16 AM
(18-05-2016 05:19 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(17-05-2016 05:09 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  That's too brief for me to understand as I've become a very technical person who doesn't like to make assumptions on ambiguity. If you want to elaborate, go ahead. If not, that's fine too.
OK

Oh crap!
Alright, you've made it clear you have no plans on being a decent conversationalist. Enjoy.

(18-05-2016 05:51 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:19 AM)jabeady Wrote:  OK

Oh crap!

There is usually a line over someone's signature. For some reason, it says "Oh crap!" in the usual space for the content of the post instead of an area for the signature.
That's because it's not a signature, he is typing it at the end of every post.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post