Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 08:26 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 06:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:38 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
Quote:No, he said that there is no evidence that any god has a visible effect on the universe.

That question perhaps means something more to you than it does to me. I can’t even decipher what a visible effect here would even look like. Perhaps we observe matter behaving in a way previously unobserved, or thought impossible, wouldn’t we just say we discovered some previously unknown properties of the universe?

In regards to a designed object like my iPhone, are there distinct visible effects of it’s creators in regards to the inner universe of the phone, separate from the visible effects of the phone itself? Will I find a Steve Job’s particle?

In reality the visible effects of it’s creator, and visible effects of the universe itself are not distinct properties. In this sense God's visible effect, is the universe itself, the totality of effects in the universe, which is ultimately his creation, the same way we might say that every element of a novel, is ultimately sourced to it’s author. The entirety of the novel is a visible effect of it’s author.

The difference between theism and any meaningful atheism is the difference between seeing it all in it’s totality, as a product of some cosmic accident, nihilistic at it’s core, and seeing it endowed with meaning, here for a purpose. The latter is what I believe, and sustains my beliefs as whole.

Atheists tend to ask questions in regards to a god, that no-one believes in, or at least I don’t. A sort of celestial super-object or divine UFO, in pursuit of traces of ectoplasm he might have left at a scene. That seems to be the sort of God they have in mind, that I don’t believe in, anymore than they do.

More "dumb" atheist sayings at least in some ones eyes I guess.

[Image: quote-a-god-that-does-not-manifest-in-re...-87-59.jpg]

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-05-2016, 08:52 AM
(18-05-2016 08:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:19 AM)jabeady Wrote:  OK

Oh crap!
Alright, you've made it clear you have no plans on being a decent conversationalist. Enjoy.

(18-05-2016 05:51 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  There is usually a line over someone's signature. For some reason, it says "Oh crap!" in the usual space for the content of the post instead of an area for the signature.
That's because it's not a signature, he is typing it at the end of every post.

Yes, this.

If it were a signature it wouldn't show up in quotes. It's a little bit annoying isn't it?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-05-2016, 09:00 AM
So far fromTommy I have:
  • Problem of evil is not a problem because God is evil (by any reasonable definition of evil, although Tommy defines it as "good" Laughat ).
  • Tommy does believe that evil exists though - I don't know how he concludes this, since everything cited as an example of evil *must* (IMO) be interpreted as "good" in order for his PoE solution to stand.
  • God does not appear to interact with reality because all of reality is God interacting with reality - i.e. redefining the word "God" to mean "normal physics".
  • No word as yet as to why he believes his God exists.

Smile I feel like this is going rather well. Tommy's effectively admitted that his God makes zero sense.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 8 users Like morondog's post
18-05-2016, 09:02 AM
(18-05-2016 09:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  So far fromTommy I have:
  • Problem of evil is not a problem because God is evil (by any reasonable definition of evil, although Tommy defines it as "good" Laughat ).
  • Tommy does believe that evil exists though - I don't know how he concludes this, since everything cited as an example of evil *must* (IMO) be interpreted as "good" in order for his PoE solution to stand.
  • God does not appear to interact with reality because all of reality is God interacting with reality - i.e. redefining the word "God" to mean "normal physics".

Smile I feel like this is going rather well. Tommy's effectively admitted that his God makes zero sense.

GOD IS ZERO! Blink

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-05-2016, 09:11 AM
(18-05-2016 08:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 05:19 AM)jabeady Wrote:  OK

Oh crap!
Alright, you've made it clear you have no plans on being a decent conversationalist. Enjoy.

(18-05-2016 05:51 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  There is usually a line over someone's signature. For some reason, it says "Oh crap!" in the usual space for the content of the post instead of an area for the signature.

You're wrong. It's entered into Tapatalk's "Signature" settings, which does not accommodate font specifications. It shows up on my phone two or three lines below the text, italicized and one or two points smaller. Since I read/respond to these forums exclusively on my phone, there's not a lot that can be done, other than to submit any prospective signature for your approval, which will then offend someone else.

Oh crap!
18-05-2016, 09:12 AM
(18-05-2016 09:11 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 08:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Alright, you've made it clear you have no plans on being a decent conversationalist. Enjoy.

You're wrong. It's entered into Tapatalk's "Signature" settings, which does not accommodate font specifications. It shows up on my phone two or three lines below the text, italicized and one or two points smaller. Since I read/respond to these forums exclusively on my phone, there's not a lot that can be done, other than to submit any prospective signature for your approval, which will then offend someone else.

Oh crap!

Oh okay. That does explain it.

☆☆☆
18-05-2016, 09:30 AM
(18-05-2016 08:16 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Alright, you've made it clear you have no plans on being a decent conversationalist. Enjoy.

Oh crap!

Or you could ask an admin for assistance in setting up your signature so it actually behaves like a real one.

Or you could continue to explain why each post ends the way it does...

Your call. Drinking Beverage

Of course the obvious third option is just not use tapitalk

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2016, 09:46 AM
(18-05-2016 09:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  So far fromTommy I have:

Here's his algorithm:

1. When asked for evidence, point to everything and say gawd.
2. When asked to define god, redefine it constantly.
3. Goto step 1

[Image: hamster-wheel-03-600.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
18-05-2016, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 10:06 AM by jabeady.)
(18-05-2016 09:30 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:11 AM)jabeady Wrote:  You're wrong. It's entered into Tapatalk's "Signature" settings, which does not accommodate font specifications. It shows up on my phone two or three lines below the text, italicized and one or two points smaller. Since I read/respond to these forums exclusively on my phone, there's not a lot that can be done, other than to submit any prospective signature for your approval, which will then offend someone else.

Oh crap!

Or you could ask an admin for assistance in setting up your signature so it actually behaves like a real one.

Or you could continue to explain why each post ends the way it does...

Your call. Drinking Beverage

Of course the obvious third option is just not use tapitalk

While I'm at it, is there anything else I can do for you?

Oh crap!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
18-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Oh crap!
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. So it IS your signature (which is totally fine). Since this site has a special format for signatures, it doesn't appear as one here. To me it appeared like you were doing the equivalent of saying "OWNED" at the end of every post. Like you were trying to demean the person you were talking to. But if it is a sig, that makes complete sense.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.