Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
Tapitalk? Sounds fancy. I'm usually on a flip phone when I post here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 11:03 AM
(18-05-2016 09:53 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:30 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Or you could ask an admin for assistance in setting up your signature so it actually behaves like a real one.

Or you could continue to explain why each post ends the way it does...

Your call. Drinking Beverage

Of course the obvious third option is just not use tapitalk

While I'm at it, is there anything else I can do for you?

Oh crap!

I have absolutely no idea how the double image happened. There doesn't seem to be anything to edit out.
18-05-2016, 11:04 AM
(18-05-2016 11:03 AM)jabeady Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:53 AM)jabeady Wrote:  While I'm at it, is there anything else I can do for you?

Oh crap!

I have absolutely no idea how the double image happened. There doesn't seem to be anything to edit out.

Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-05-2016, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 12:18 PM by Tomasia.)
(18-05-2016 09:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  [*]Problem of evil is not a problem because God is evil (by any reasonable definition of evil, although Tommy defines it as "good" Laughat ).

There's no logical contradiction, in believing in a God that is all powerful and Good, creating a world in which evil exists. It's not a fact that allowing evil to exist negates being Good here, a point which no atheists who subscribes to subjective morality can dispute.

In fact I would say this would hold true for human beings in an somewhat equivalent analogy. If a future human being, or a more advanced civilizations was able to computer simulate all the variables that led to human life, producing conscious creatures like ourselves in a simulated world that parallels our own. I see no reason to imagine them as evil, or not Good, even though it's within their power to reconfigure this simulated life in away to remove all it's suffering.

Perhaps you and other's would frame such individuals, and such a civilization as evil, but I'm not entirely sure you would.

Quote:[*]God does not appear to interact with reality because all of reality is God interacting with reality - i.e. redefining the word "God" to mean "normal physics".

Actually no, here you're the one redefining God as synonymous with God interacting with reality.

I on other hand have just been articulating a old theistic view of God as an ultimate cause, in relationship to proximate causes, in which a question requiring separating proximate causes doesn't apply.

Quote:No word as yet as to why he believes his God exists.

As far as I know, I've always believed in a God of some sort. Perhaps because I grew up among christians, muslims, hindus, etc... for whom that's self-evident. There's no point in the history of my life as I can trace it, where I didn't believe that a God existed. There no point where I had deliberated and decided that God existed, anymore so that I had to deliberate and decide that the sun does.

I believe in God, because I wouldnt even know how not to believe in God, other than by lying to myself. By deliberating not wanting to believe in God. If there's some atheists version of me, sprouting off the variety of things you do, he would just be a pretender, and a fraud. This is not to say that you or any other atheists is any of these things, but I see no means for myself to be both honest with myself and an atheists. I don't know how not to believe.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-05-2016, 12:16 PM
(18-05-2016 12:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's no logical contradiction, in believing in a God that is all powerful and Good, creating a world in which evil exists. It's not a fact that allowing evil to exist negates being Good here, a point which no atheists who subscribes to subjective morality can dispute.

Epicurus

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

Quote:I on other have just been articulating a old theistic view of God as an ultimate cause, in relationship to proximate causes.

Snort. You ON THE OTHER HAND, have just been assuming we'll accept the old idiotic drivel.

Quote:I believe in God, because I wouldnt even know how not to believe in God, other than by lying to myself. By deliberating not wanting to believe in God. If there's some atheists version of me, sprouting off the variety of things you do, he would just be a pretender, and a fraud. This is not to say that you or any other atheists is any of these things, but I see no means for myself to be both honest with myself and an atheists. I don't know how not to believe.

Of course you don't. You went to Bible College.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2016, 01:57 PM
(18-05-2016 12:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  [*]Problem of evil is not a problem because God is evil (by any reasonable definition of evil, although Tommy defines it as "good" Laughat ).

There's no logical contradiction, in believing in a God that is all powerful and Good, creating a world in which evil exists. It's not a fact that allowing evil to exist negates being Good here, a point which no atheists who subscribes to subjective morality can dispute.

In fact I would say this would hold true for human beings in an somewhat equivalent analogy. If a future human being, or a more advanced civilizations was able to computer simulate all the variables that led to human life, producing conscious creatures like ourselves in a simulated world that parallels our own. I see no reason to imagine them as evil, or not Good, even though it's within their power to reconfigure this simulated life in away to remove all it's suffering.

Perhaps you and other's would frame such individuals, and such a civilization as evil, but I'm not entirely sure you would.

Quote:[*]God does not appear to interact with reality because all of reality is God interacting with reality - i.e. redefining the word "God" to mean "normal physics".

Actually no, here you're the one redefining God as synonymous with God interacting with reality.

I on other hand have just been articulating a old theistic view of God as an ultimate cause, in relationship to proximate causes, in which a question requiring separating proximate causes doesn't apply.

Quote:No word as yet as to why he believes his God exists.

As far as I know, I've always believed in a God of some sort. Perhaps because I grew up among christians, muslims, hindus, etc... for whom that's self-evident. There's no point in the history of my life as I can trace it, where I didn't believe that a God existed. There no point where I had deliberated and decided that God existed, anymore so that I had to deliberate and decide that the sun does.

I believe in God, because I wouldnt even know how not to believe in God, other than by lying to myself. By deliberating not wanting to believe in God. If there's some atheists version of me, sprouting off the variety of things you do, he would just be a pretender, and a fraud. This is not to say that you or any other atheists is any of these things, but I see no means for myself to be both honest with myself and an atheists. I don't know how not to believe.

"I don't know how not to believe."

^indoctrination. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-05-2016, 01:58 PM
(18-05-2016 01:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I don't know how not to believe."

Exactly, something akin to indoctrination would be required for me to be an atheist.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-05-2016, 02:01 PM
(18-05-2016 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 01:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "I don't know how not to believe."

Exactly, something akin to indoctrination would be required for me to be an atheist.

Holy fuck you're dense, or intentionally obtuse. Being the dishonest person you are, I assume the latter but I am tempted to say both based on the shite you've spewed forth.

You "don't know how not to believe" because you are indoctrinated by religion.

There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-05-2016, 02:04 PM
(18-05-2016 12:10 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  There's no logical contradiction, in believing in a God that is all powerful and Good, creating a world in which evil exists. It's not a fact that allowing evil to exist negates being Good here, a point which no atheists who subscribes to subjective morality can dispute.
Your subjective definition of "good" is at odds with everyone elses. While subjectivity is pretty much a fact, there is substantial overlap in our understanding of the world, which fact allows us to define words with accepted meanings - if we didn't have the overlap, communication would be impossible. So no matter that "good" and "evil" are ultimately subjectively defined, that doesn't mean you get to make up your own definitions for them.

A God who allows the kinda shit that goes down every day somewhere in the world, while having the power to prevent it, cannot be defined as good.

Quote:In fact I would say this would hold true for human beings in an somewhat equivalent analogy. If a future human being, or a more advanced civilizations was able to computer simulate all the variables that led to human life, producing conscious creatures like ourselves in a simulated world that parallels our own. I see no reason to imagine them as evil, or not Good, even though it's within their power to reconfigure this simulated life in away to remove all it's suffering.
If your hypothetical civilisation requires worship and acknowlegement by their creations that they are "good" then they had better damn well provide evidence. You indeed are going back to tired old theistic arguments, in this case the one "who are you to judge God?"

Quote:Actually no, here you're the one redefining God as synonymous with God interacting with reality.

In other words, your waffle concealed your admission that God does not interact with the universe, then?

Quote:As far as I know, I've always believed in a God of some sort. Perhaps because I grew up among christians, muslims, hindus, etc... for whom that's self-evident. There's no point in the history of my life as I can trace it, where I didn't believe that a God existed. There no point where I had deliberated and decided that God existed, anymore so that I had to deliberate and decide that the sun does.

So your faith is not based on any rational enquiry Smile No more questions your honour.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-05-2016, 02:09 PM
(18-05-2016 02:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. Drinking Beverage

Tell that to the communist regimes that attempted to implement state atheism.

And yes, it would require indoctrination for me to be an atheist.