Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 02:14 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 02:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. Drinking Beverage

Tell that to the communist regimes that attempted to implement state atheism.

And yes, it would require indoctrination for me to be an atheist.

And yet, no one can be "indoctrinated" to be an atheist. There is nothing to indoctrinate with with respect to atheism. YOUR example points this out where communist (POLITICAL DOGMA) was indoctrinated into the people. The observation that some of these communist regimes do not have state religions is IRRELEVANT. (false equivalence).

"And yes, it would require indoctrination for me to be an atheist."

You are already admittedly indoctrinated. I don't give a rat's ass as to what you think it would take for you to go from theist to atheist. That is irrelevant with respect to YOU being religiously indoctrinated. Laugh out load

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 02:14 PM
(18-05-2016 02:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:01 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  There is no such thing as atheist indoctrination. Drinking Beverage

Tell that to the communist regimes that attempted to implement state atheism.

Um... Sure, I can accept that one could perform atheist indoctrination.

I disagree though that it would require indoctrination for you to be an atheist. If opinions are immutable then no one would ever change their minds about anything.

Cognitive dissonance is a thing though. Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-05-2016, 02:18 PM
(18-05-2016 02:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet, no one can be "indoctrinated" to be an atheist.

Pretty sure one could be. All you have to do is tell some kid from a young age that there's no creator-God spirit thing and encourage them never to think about things for themselves. A good dose of demonising the God-botherers should also help - borrow tactics from the Christees, why not?

You will then have created an atheist who has not arrived at that intellectual position by critical thinking, but by accepting what you say. Pretty sure that fits the definition.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-05-2016, 02:18 PM
(18-05-2016 02:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Tell that to the communist regimes that attempted to implement state atheism.

Um... Sure, I can accept that one could perform atheist indoctrination.

I disagree though that it would require indoctrination for you to be an atheist. If opinions are immutable then no one would ever change their minds about anything.

Cognitive dissonance is a thing though. Tongue

There is no dogma of atheism to indoctrinate someone with. Nor are there actual beliefs associated with atheism to indoctrinate someone with. So how you can "indoctrinate" someone into atheism is beyond me.

-Rick
18-05-2016, 02:20 PM
(18-05-2016 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet, no one can be "indoctrinated" to be an atheist.

Pretty sure one could be. All you have to do is tell some kid from a young age that there's no creator-God spirit thing and encourage them never to think about things for themselves. A good dose of demonising the God-botherers should also help - borrow tactics from the Christees, why not?

You will then have created an atheist who has not arrived at that intellectual position by critical thinking, but by accepting what you say. Pretty sure that fits the definition.

I don't see that as "indoctrinating them with atheism." You indoctrinate someone into a belief system and then encourage them to accept it and not question it. There is no belief system inherent to atheism to indoctrinate someone into.

-Rick
18-05-2016, 02:23 PM
(18-05-2016 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  

But sure, you could very easily just tell someone that "god X isn't real and to just accept it" because you said so. Trying to brainwash someone to believe as you do seems distinctly different from indoctrination to me.

-Rick
18-05-2016, 02:24 PM
(18-05-2016 02:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  Pretty sure one could be. All you have to do is tell some kid from a young age that there's no creator-God spirit thing and encourage them never to think about things for themselves. A good dose of demonising the God-botherers should also help - borrow tactics from the Christees, why not?

I don't see that as "indoctrinating them with atheism." You indoctrinate someone into a belief system and then encourage them to accept it and not question it. There is no belief system inherent to atheism to indoctrinate someone into.

As we are so frequently reminded, an atheist is one who lacks belief in a deity. As long as you can produce someone who satisfies this requirement, you have an atheist, and as long as you can ensure that they do not arrive at this position through critical thinking, you have successfully indoctrinated them IMO. It would entail the creation of some kind of dogma to go along with it. So I do think it's *possible*. Highly unlikely though. After all, religions are the ones with experience in this area.

[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-05-2016, 02:26 PM
(18-05-2016 02:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  Pretty sure one could be. All you have to do is tell some kid from a young age that there's no creator-God spirit thing and encourage them never to think about things for themselves. A good dose of demonising the God-botherers should also help - borrow tactics from the Christees, why not?

But sure, you could very easily just tell someone that "god X isn't real and to just accept it" because you said so. Trying to brainwash someone to believe as you do seems distinctly different from indoctrination to me.

Ah, I see, we are at odds over definition of "indoctrination"? I would have thought that brainwashing someone to believe as you do is the very essence of it.

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-05-2016, 02:28 PM
(18-05-2016 02:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I don't see that as "indoctrinating them with atheism." You indoctrinate someone into a belief system and then encourage them to accept it and not question it. There is no belief system inherent to atheism to indoctrinate someone into.

As we are so frequently reminded, an atheist is one who lacks belief in a deity. As long as you can produce someone who satisfies this requirement, you have an atheist, and as long as you can ensure that they do not arrive at this position through critical thinking, you have successfully indoctrinated them IMO. It would entail the creation of some kind of dogma to go along with it. So I do think it's *possible*. Highly unlikely though. After all, religions are the ones with experience in this area.

That would be the point, you'd have to have a dogma to go with it.

Russians living under the USSR weren't indoctrinated with atheism, they were indoctrinated with communism. The fact that this iteration of communism lacked a state religion and criticized religion, does not equate it with atheism (as tommyboy tries to do).

There are other dogmas (and religions) without gods that one could be indoctrinated into. But being indoctrinated into them does not mean being indoctrinated with atheism.

-Rick
18-05-2016, 02:29 PM
(18-05-2016 02:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  But sure, you could very easily just tell someone that "god X isn't real and to just accept it" because you said so. Trying to brainwash someone to believe as you do seems distinctly different from indoctrination to me.

Ah, I see, we are at odds over definition of "indoctrination"? I would have thought that brainwashing someone to believe as you do is the very essence of it.

I think indoctrination has to be more than just brainwashing. Stockholm Syndrome is a sort of brainwashing, but it isn't indoctrination.

-Rick