Dumb Atheist Sayings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: Dumb Atheist Sayings
(18-05-2016 02:34 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:04 PM)morondog Wrote:  your subjective definition of "good" is at odds with everyone elses.

You mean at odds with a handful of atheists. If most people believe in all powerful God that is Good, even though he allows evil to exists in the world, then clearly I wouldn’t be at odds with everyone else, lol.

Quote:A God who allows the kinda shit that goes down every day somewhere in the world, while having the power to prevent it, cannot be defined as good.

Such a God is already defined as Good, and that’s neither a factually incorrect statement, nor is at odds with the view of most people, who already subscribe to belief in such a God.

Quote:If your hypothetical civilisation requires worship and acknowlegement by their creations that they are "good" then they had better damn well provide evidence.

Ah okay so they're not evil, just because this civilization didn't remove all the suffering from the simulated version of our world, even when it’s within their power to do so. At best they're morally neutral in this regard, huh? You need more to make a moral judgement beyond this huh?

Quote:In other words, your waffle concealed your admission that God does not interact with the universe, then?

No, I’m pointing out that all proximate causes are incapsulated by ultimate causes. Or in other worlds all interactions in our universe are product of God's ultimate will and purposes.

Quote:So your faith is not based on any rational enquiry  No more questions your honour.

I don’t have faith that God exists, anymore so than I have faith that I exist. God’s existence is self-evident for me, so it requires no faith to believe God exists.

And since it’s self-evident, it wasn’t a product of any sort of rational deliberation. I have always believed a God of some sort exists, as early as I can remember, so clearly it wasn’t the end result of any rational deliberation, anymore so than the belief in my existence was.

Most people who believe, believe in a vengeful god and with good reason.

[Image: D4rt8Ju.jpg]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
18-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Picking apart the idiotic arguments and (supposed) reasoning of others, is not "indoctrination". Per Tommy's usual schtick, he forgot to define the term.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2016, 03:54 PM
(18-05-2016 02:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:55 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't hope or have faith that God exists, anymore so than I hope that I exist. I wasn't crossing my fingers as a kid hoping God exists. It's always been self-evident to me. In fact I believed that God existed, before I had faith in God, or any hope in God.

God is your imaginary friend Laugh out load

(You clearly don't realize just how stupid this sounds and how stupid it makes you look or how it's the same shite other theists spout off. More arrogant ignorance parading about as knowledge and enlightenment)

Why are you here again? What do you think anyone is getting out of the stupid shit you say? You think we haven't heard it all before? You think we haven't experienced the firsthand bullshit of religious beliefs? You think you have special mental powers we don't?

FWIW, I don't think it sounds stupid at all. If someone is raised in an environment where everyone around him believes in God, and takes that belief for granted, he is likely to also take it for granted -- maybe even find it self-evident. I think he's wrong nonetheless, but I will accept his claim that he finds it self-evident. I never felt that way, even as a theist, but I can understand how someone could.
18-05-2016, 03:58 PM
(18-05-2016 03:54 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 02:59 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  God is your imaginary friend Laugh out load

(You clearly don't realize just how stupid this sounds and how stupid it makes you look or how it's the same shite other theists spout off. More arrogant ignorance parading about as knowledge and enlightenment)

Why are you here again? What do you think anyone is getting out of the stupid shit you say? You think we haven't heard it all before? You think we haven't experienced the firsthand bullshit of religious beliefs? You think you have special mental powers we don't?

FWIW, I don't think it sounds stupid at all. If someone is raised in an environment where everyone around him believes in God, and takes that belief for granted, he is likely to also take it for granted -- maybe even find it self-evident. I think he's wrong nonetheless, but I will accept his claim that he finds it self-evident. I never felt that way, even as a theist, but I can understand how someone could.

I meant that it sounds stupid in that it wasn't accepted based on intelligent inquiry or reasonable assumptions based on knowledge. It is a willful ignorance.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-05-2016, 04:11 PM
(18-05-2016 03:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then you are not saved. :face palm:

I don't think any christian will claim that your saved by believing that God exists. Even the devil believes that God exist, but no one would suggest that he is has faith in God.

Quote:Ephesians 2:8
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--"

Your haphazard deity is so random.

Even for Paul, God's existence is self-evident: "For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…"

It clear that those he refers to here, those who know God exists, are not those he would suggest have faith.

Faith is not being applied to the belief that God exists. Similar to when I say I have faith in my wife, I'm not talking about her existence. I don't hope she exists, nor do I have faith she exists. Though I do have faith in her.

What folks such as yourself don't understand, particularly in an earlier age, and cultures outside of your own, like the one my parents grew up in, it was virtually impossible not to believe in God, the very idea of atheism didn't even exist for them. God's existence was seen as self-evident. They couldn't even imagine an age in which we'd have to convince people that God exists, anymore so that they'd have to convince people that the Sun was shining. When they speak of faith, they're not referring to their belief that God exists, but a confidence that God will fulfill his promises to them, that God would bring into fruition that which they had hoped for in the end.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
18-05-2016, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 04:43 PM by Tomasia.)
(18-05-2016 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I meant that it sounds stupid in that it wasn't accepted based on intelligent inquiry or reasonable assumptions based on knowledge. It is a willful ignorance.

I don't think the sort of tendency towards a lack of belief prevalent here, is common childhood tendency, nor the belief that there are rules to be followed in order to believe that something is true. For the child everything is evidence, and the rules are, there are no rules.

You accept your intuitive assumptions, and go from there. If you already believe God exists, whatever inquiries you engage in, whatever reasonable assumption you make, serve to rationalize after the fact, more for the sake of resolving any nagging doubts, then to guide you to believing

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-05-2016, 04:48 PM
(18-05-2016 04:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 03:58 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I meant that it sounds stupid in that it wasn't accepted based on intelligent inquiry or reasonable assumptions based on knowledge. It is a willful ignorance.

I don't think the sort of tendency towards a lack of belief prevalent here, is common childhood tendency, nor the belief that there are rules to be followed in order to believe that something is true. For the child everything is evidence.

You accept your intuitive assumptions, and go from there. If you already believe God exists, whatever inquiries you engage in, whatever reasonable assumption you make, serve to rationalize after the fact, more for the sake of resolving any nagging doubts, then to guide you to believing

Of course it isn't common childhood tendency, because cultures kinda formulate against it in it's total effort to functioning society(not specifically about that god, but just rule obeying and norm following structures)

If it was super common, it wouldn't of been a type of formulated effort to acknowledge after year and years of study and lost information being rediscovered. But once the notions have been better understood to examine and see how the unexamined life is rather incomprehensible, to continue to teach others to life that way is hampering their capabilities.

Maybe this makes little sense but your mental capability is capable of many layers of doubt and growth.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-05-2016, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 04:52 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-05-2016 04:11 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don't think any christian will claim that your saved by believing that God exists. Even the devil believes that God exist, but no one would suggest that he is has faith in God.
I know many that do. So "prove it".

Quote:Ephesians 2:8
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--"

Your haphazard deity is so random.

[quote]
Even for Paul, God's existence is self-evident: "For what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood from His workmanship, so that men are without excuse. For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but they became futile in their thinking and darkened in their foolish hearts.…"

It clear that those he refers to here, those who know God exists, are not those he would suggest have faith.

Clear to you maybe. It's what he actually said. Your blatant dishonest revisionism is evident. Why was something "inspired" not made clear ?

Quote:Faith is not being applied to the belief that God exists. Similar to when I say I have faith in my wife, I'm not talking about her existence. I don't hope she exists, nor do I have faith she exists. Though I do have faith in her.

It's clearly "faith" in the messiah-ship in Jesus.
If you always knew the gods exist, at what age did you ask if god was Zeus, or Allah ?
If you always knew, then you affirm the thought, that most people just accept the religious systems they are born by accident, into. There is evidence of that.

Quote:What folks such as yourself don't understand, particularly in an earlier age, and cultures outside of your own, like the one my parents grew up in, it was virtually impossible not to believe in God, the very idea of atheism didn't even exist for them. God's existence was seen as self-evident. They couldn't even imagine an age in which we'd have to convince people that God exists, anymore so that they'd have to convince people that the Sun was shining. When they speak of faith, they're not referring to their belief that God exists, but a confidence that God will fulfill his promises to them, that God would bring into fruition that which they had hoped for in the end.

Wrong. I grew up in a similar culture. And many came to see it was all BS.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-05-2016, 04:59 PM
(18-05-2016 04:39 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I don't think the sort of tendency towards a lack of belief prevalent here, is common childhood tendency, nor the belief that there are rules to be followed in order to believe that something is true. For the child everything is evidence, and the rules are, there are no rules.

Like I said, your god is an imaginary friend and you never grew up beyond the thinking capacity of a child. The fact that you can't or won't see that, is a result of your indoctrination.

Or is this response indoctrination tactic #5 or 6 or whatever you're at? Consider

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
18-05-2016, 05:46 PM
(18-05-2016 02:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It would, it might even make an interesting topic for me, how to make me an atheists.

Brain transplant?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post